Author Topic: garmin etrex legend H question  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
garmin etrex legend H question
« on: January 04, 2011, 11:36:11 AM »
Newby to the gps thing.   Thinking of buying the unit listed above.  It has 24 mb of memory is that eneogh for me to load a citimap type program and use it in the car like a tom tom.  My wife navigates on trips and does a great job but I would like a gps for trips. But being cheap I  would also like it for back country biking, boating, hunting.  These units are on sale for a little over a hundred bucks will they work as a catch all intro gps.  I can see the screen would be a little small for car use but with some one else to read it on the fly it seems doable.  Input appreciated. 

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: garmin etrex legend H question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »
I had the earlier Garman etrex Legend 8MB and received a lot of good use from it.  But in the world of Garmin gps units the Legend H is old technology.  Unlike the Tom Tom it lacks auto routing and apt to make the wife unhappy.   I do not know where you are or how far the trips take your wife but as an example the State of Pennsylvania takes 51MB of the City Navigator software.  I used the base map of the old Legend all over the west because it lacked the memory for the large area I was working.

West Virginia takes approximately 11.6MB of memory.

The base map that comes with the Legend H covers the main roads but lacks a lot of the detail you will want for trip navigation when comparing to the Tom Tom.

The Legend HCx which takes a micro SD Card(2GB) will store more than enough city navigation mapping software.

I suggest that you look at the Garmin automotive nuvi gps units on sale at Wal Mart for your wife.  The reason is that you will save money and she will have a better unit for her use.  The built in automotive software is worth $100 when you add the cost of shipping.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-nuvi-295W-3.5-Portable-GPS/14700410?findingMethod=rr

http://www.tigergps.com/garmincnntna.html
Using myself as an example, I am thinking of buying a unit on sale because the mapping software in my unit has grown stale.  And viewing the updated software in an automotive gps we gave the father-in-law at Christmas I like the new features.  My old unit will not be wasted; I will give it to my wife.

I know that you will have to spring for the Garmin Legend H which does a good job with the base map but and far better job with  http://www.tigergps.com/garmintopo2008.html installed.

I prefer to buy software on a DVD so I and install it on my computer and then load maps on to my gps unit.  Normally they come with a license and code for one gps.  At the time I bought City Navigator it came with two license and I installed in on a Garmin 76C and a 76Cx.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 03:47:17 AM »
Thank you very much.  I think I will pass on the hand held unit.  We travel together most of the time when we really need navigational and really rarely need help, maps have always been eneogh.  I was hoping it would hold a mapping program like the tom tom and the ability to use on trail would be a nice bonus.  But our travels are mulit state family vacations and after viewing the memory requirements it would seem the unit we are looking at it pretty limited.  Thanks SN

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37:13 AM »
A feature I like while travelling with the current Garmin Automotive Nuvi, is called Where AM I.  I was travelling with my father-in-law he I was concerned that some of his medical problems would popup.  At the time I had City Navigator along with Topo installed on my Garmin 76Cx but advantage of an automotive gps were still lacking.

The feature I am talking about is wherever I happen to be I can touch the image of my vehicle on the screen and I will get a popup with the touch, the nearest hospital, Law Enforcement, Fuel and other options, no real searching of a menu required.  The popup also included the Lat/Long for the unit.  Having worked as an emergency dispatcher in my retirement this is key information if you need 911 help out on a farm or forest road.  Emergency ground and helicopter’s can plug the Lat/Long in their units and find you quickly.  Helicopters are very fast when they can home in on your location with a Lat/Long rather than spend critical time conducting a search.  Think about the couple in a white car in a snow covered area, a tough find.

Last spring a friend and I were on a return trip home and he wanted to stop at Carl’s for a milk shake.  I did a search on my automotive gps and found the nearest Carl’s along our route.  He was happy and so was I because he bought lunch.  A few months before that there was a gathering of the women folks in the extended family and I was nominated as the driver.  The group included my Mother-in-Law, daughter, a couple granddaughters’, and the wife.    We went from the country to the busy city traffic, which included toll bridges.  I plugged in the address and we started out on our journey.  About mid route everybody was ready for breakfast and a pit stop.  My wife did a search for a restaurant in route and found what was suitable for our group.  Without a gps the search would have been tough.  They agreed and she selected the restaurant and the gps navigated us to in.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 08:14:11 AM »
Thanks for the info.  My only use of a gps was returning home from a hog hunt with a friend.  He lost his dad while we were gone and was going to have a pretty busy few days when we got home so he slept most of the way home, 12 hour drive.  He has a garmin.  It took a little getting used to but I warmed up to it.  My desire for a double dip buying a handheld to catch both in car and trail use seems a but dreamy after further research.  But after being a temp  lost in the mountains last year while biking some old logging and mining roads a hand held seemd to have some merit.  As you said having your exact long and lat for emergency would be a life saver.  Thanks again for all the information.  SN

Offline ihookem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »
Garmin Venture HC bundle is on sale for 135 here in Wis. I was wondering if this unit is better than the Legend and what is the difference?