Author Topic: Why we carry  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
Why we carry
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:12:09 AM »
It matters little why we carry, but 'tis my opinion we ought to analyze ourselves in that regard.  My opinion only, but here are the reasons we tote a firearm out of the house:  (I'm convinced these reasons hold true with 90% of us who legally carry.)

1 - We don't want to be the victim of a violent crime.

2 - We don't want our family to be victims of violent crime.

3 - We like guns.  We like to shoot.  Most of us are outdoorsmen, sportsmen.  We like forums like this because we are among like-minded people. 

4 - We place too much emphasis on the possibility of actually needing to shoot someone.  We are much more likely to fall victim to disease and accident than we are to attack.  This one doesn't sit well will with many carriers, but consider if you will the other areas of our lives, where we take not nearly so much precaution to protect ourselves, even though those dangers are more of a threat than those that can be handled by a gun.  Is your diet unhealthy?  Do you smoke?  Do you drive too fast?  Are you overweight?  Do you get regular medical checkups?  Do you delve into the many aspects of toting guns as much as you do with the many other aspects of staying alive?

5 - We are insecure.  I admit that I am.  I'm insecure without a weapon within reach.  We don't trust fellow humans. 

6 - We don't want to be taken advantage of.  We detest the idea of handing over our wallet to a gun-wielding thief.  We feel it's our duty and our right to stand firm against abusers of mankind.

7 - If criminals knew that everyone carried, violent crime would lessen.  We are doing our part.

8 - It's our right.  If we don't exercise our rights, they are in danger.  (Therein lies a misunderstanding of the Constitution.  What right have we ever lost due to non-use?)

9 - We've had a close call and we never want to be caught in that situation again without the means to respond. 

My list is incomplete.  Does anyone have another reason(s)? 

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Why we carry
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
I like the notion of being able to defend myself, or loved ones if the need arises. Of course, I fully realize having a weapon doesn't give me the right to avoid potentially dangerous situations, and I also realize that under certain circumstances a gun might not help. So avoidance is always the best plan.  But having a weapon at least doesn't make me completely defenseless.
I also believe the quickest way to lose a right is to not practice it. The more people that apply for a CCL, the less likely the government is to try to take that right away.
I also believe an armed citizenry makes it harder for criminals to practice their trade.
Of course, these are just my opinions.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
It matters little why we carry, but 'tis my opinion we ought to analyze ourselves in that regard.  My opinion only, but here are the reasons we tote a firearm out of the house:  (I'm convinced these reasons hold true with 90% of us who legally carry.)

4 - We place too much emphasis on the possibility of actually needing to shoot someone.  We are much more likely to fall victim to disease and accident than we are to attack.  This one doesn't sit well will with many carriers, but consider if you will the other areas of our lives, where we take not nearly so much precaution to protect ourselves, even though those dangers are more of a threat than those that can be handled by a gun.  Is your diet unhealthy?  Do you smoke?  Do you drive too fast?  Are you overweight?  Do you get regular medical checkups?  Do you delve into the many aspects of toting guns as much as you do with the many other aspects of staying alive?

Does anyone have another reason(s)?  

i  tote  a gun  out of the house  BECAUSE.........its always in  my pocket when  i am in the house

and  as  far as your  comment  on    number... 4

I  RESEMBLE  THAT REMARK !!!!!!!!!!
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:05:44 AM »
I carry a gun because it is a lot easier than dragging it behind me, or shouldering a rifle or baseball bat or carrying a bow and quiver full of arrows or having a long bladed knife on my belt or a machete or sword.  I don't anyalze it at all.  I simply will not be a victim.

Your analysis should be:  Victim or not..............

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
Be prepared.
Society and life today has given all a false sense of security.
Do you just wake up in the morning and say I will drive up to Austin and have lunch with my Brother in law? Well I do things like that---but---there ar things in the car that I might need--spare, Jack, signals, jumper cables, cell phone is charged--change of clothes, first aid kit, someone knows where I am headed and will be back, gasoline.
Those things are being prepared--so is self-protection.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:05:46 AM »
Have to agree with Mr Layton.  Not sure why I get asked "Why do you carry a gun all the time... are you paranoid?"  My reply is usually "Why do you have smoke detectors in your home and a fire extinguisher in your kitchen?  Are you paranoid?

Or depending on the mood I'm in I may just reply that I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy to lug around all the time.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 02:19:38 AM »
I'm not insecure , hey why would I be I have a gun. I also have life insurance , fire ext. , good tires anmd brakes , get check ups etc.

I carry because it is my responsiblity to take care of myself.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Ron/Pa.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 04:33:44 AM »
  Anymore I have a healthy fear of the Law. Been reading a lot of horror stories where if you do not get prosecuted you can face a civil lawsuit from the Criminals Family! Plus , the cost involved would probably Bankrupt me. But, I still gonna carry my little Kel-Tec...

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 05:48:59 AM »
Well in a clean shooting here it is estimated the civil suit could run over $40,000.00 . Still better than dead.

Offline jimster

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
I guess most the reasons pointed out in the very first post by Mike applies.  I like guns, always have, always liked shooting a lot, so there is a fondness for that alone.
The reason I carry all the time is because I don't want to be totally helpless in a bad situtation, even though I could be anyway if not paying attention, at least there is a chance of some kind. Never liked being helpless. I'm glad I have had experience with guns and shooting my whole life because the crime is rising and is everywhere now, so it's nice to at least have the feel for guns and know how to shoot. Some people start this later in life and have much to catch up on. I know one thing, after being able to carry one everywhere in this state I could never live in a state where it was prohibited. And if they all prohibit this someday, I would still carry, I'd just be a criminal I guess. In this state self defense is protected, no families can take you to court in a civil suit if it's ruled self defense. You also have the right to stop a fleeing felon or a felony.  That might not be the best idea in every case, but you make the call yourself here. 

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »
Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Simple as that.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 01:29:08 AM »
Shootall: "Well in a clean shooting here it is estimated the civil suit could run over $40,000.00".  I would really like to know where the hay this comes from - it sounds like it is some cop's warning to ccw applicants or class participants of what might happen if they elect to defend themselves rather than to become a victim. 

I talked to my lawyer about this - he is a former city attorney and prosecuting attorney and he tells me that in a clean shoot (justifiable homicide, self defense, home invasion, etc.,) the family of the dead criminal has no grounds for civil suit.  Notice I said 'dead criminal' - dead because they were killed, criminal because of the behavior/activity that got them killed.  This is not the oj simpson case.

You may always find some bottom feeder willing to try for civil action but if your actions were justified and it was a 'clean shoot', they will have no grounds for suit.  Psalm singing and hand wringing by wailing mothers is just so sad because it doesn't work any more. 

I think that before we go telling someone here what is likely to happen to them, based on our interpretation of the laws (who here beside atllaw is a attorney) we need to find out exactly what happens in a 'clean shoot' in our own states and then who gets sued, if anyone, by the family of the dead criminal.

We had a home invasion in the city here, 3 druggies trying to get into another druggies stash.  Cops busted the defender for drug possesion but he was held harmless for the shooting while defending himself and his wife.  The city attorney could not even charge him with illegal discharge of a firearm as it was done within the context of self defense.  No civil suit followed.  How does it go in your state or city???

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 01:50:09 AM »
Mikey , Those figures were related to those of us in a class to train instructors by two different lawyers. So I feel they do know of what they speak SINCE THEY DEFEND PEOPLE IN SUCH CASES FOR A LIVING ! Of course it is only an estimate and if one is willing to shop around they may find a DEAL . Although O.J. did not appear in court in Va. his case is an example of what can and does happen in court from time to time. You may feel different but the fact remains if you find yourself in court its going to cost you to defend yourself .

So I offer to those who have enough common sense to understand that defending ones self does not stop when the attack is over but can go on for years at great cost . Point being to only use deadly force when ALL other choices are gone. When you go to court , the low life that attacked you will be painted as a pillar of the community . To prove other wise will have a cost.

BTW it only takes one bottom feeder to ruin you from a money stand point.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 01:51:48 AM »
How does it go in my state and city , any number of ways really .

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 01:29:55 PM »
Shootall is dead on.  We can't know what a court will do.  All we can do is try to stay alive.   

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 02:06:01 PM »
I'd rather worry about legal matters than have my family worry about a funeral. I value my life, and the lives of loved ones, more than that of the bad guys. I once told a police officer when talking about a burglar, "I bet I'd get out of jail before he gets out of the grave!" I know it's a much used cliche but it says it quite well. "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six!"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 01:53:34 AM »
I posted what I did because the old cliches are just that old. One question in class was would you take a roughing up to avoid shooting some one ? That goes aginst what most of us think . The reality is you go home . The other guy goes to jail. We are not talking fear of death or grave injury here. From a criminal law  stand point you may be with in your rights to use deadly force but what is it worth to avoid a civil trial ?
 A hard judgement to make really but one that should be explored by each of us before hand.

A good thing for all who are pro self defense is to think of things happening and decide what you will do . Role play in your head . Do so anytime you are in a different place . Its like knowing how to exit a burning building.

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 02:33:21 AM »
" I carry a gun because I’m too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin’"

This was someone else s tag line.

Doug

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 05:30:38 AM »
I posted what I did because the old cliches are just that old. One question in class was would you take a roughing up to avoid shooting some one ? That goes aginst what most of us think . The reality is you go home . The other guy goes to jail. We are not talking fear of death or grave injury here. From a criminal law  stand point you may be with in your rights to use deadly force but what is it worth to avoid a civil trial ?
 A hard judgement to make really but one that should be explored by each of us before hand.

A good thing for all who are pro self defense is to think of things happening and decide what you will do . Role play in your head . Do so anytime you are in a different place . Its like knowing how to exit a burning building.

[quote rdmallory]
" I carry a gun because I’m too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin’"

That's just it. With severe heart and lung problems a "roughing up" could very easily be life threatening for me. So "what is life threatening" can and does vary with differant individuals. Plus, just where does a roughing up stop? How often do we hear where a blow ends up being fatal or the perpitrator goes over board and a beating becomes fatal or the victom perminatly injured? Quite often!!!! No, anyone willing to do bodily injury does not have your best interest at heart and is out to do you harm. That constitutes a threat to life every time! Any attorney worth his salt can and will bring those facts up in court. People are so worried about the criminals rights these days that they forget they have rights themselves. Fact is, if I'm the one to survive then I can deal with what ever comes next. If I'm the one dead then, welllll,  what's the point?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 05:34:39 AM »
I posted what I did because the old cliches are just that old. One question in class was would you take a roughing up to avoid shooting some one ? That goes aginst what most of us think . The reality is you go home . The other guy goes to jail. We are not talking fear of death or grave injury here. From a criminal law  stand point you may be with in your rights to use deadly force but what is it worth to avoid a civil trial ?

That's just it. With severe heart and lung problems a "roughing up" could very easily be life threatoning for me. So "what is life threatoning" can and does vary with differant individuals. Plus, just where does a roughing up stop? How often do we hear where a blow ends up being fatal or the perpitrator goes over board and a beating becomes fatal or the victom perminatly injured? Quite often!!!! No, anyone willing to do bodily injury does not have your best interest at heart and is out to do you harm. That constitutes a threat to life every time! Any attorney worth his salt can and will bring those facts up in court. People are so worried about the criminals rights these days that they forget they have rights themselves. Fact is, if I'm the one to survive then I can deal with what ever comes next. If I'm the one dead then, welllll,  what's the point?

Yes that's my point what will/can each of us put up with to keep out of court. I feel if one is found innocent in a criminal trial that should be the end of it . I also feel much of our legal system is out of control and needs to be scraped in some cases

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 05:43:01 AM »

That's just it. With severe heart and lung problems a "roughing up" could very easily be life threatoning for me. So "what is life threatoning" can and does vary with differant individuals. Plus, just where does a roughing up stop? How often do we hear where a blow ends up being fatal or the perpitrator goes over board and a beating becomes fatal or the victom perminatly injured? Quite often!!!! No, anyone willing to do bodily injury does not have your best interest at heart and is out to do you harm. That constitutes a threat to life every time! Any attorney worth his salt can and will bring those facts up in court. People are so worried about the criminals rights these days that they forget they have rights themselves. Fact is, if I'm the one to survive then I can deal with what ever comes next. If I'm the one dead then, welllll,  what's the point?

Yes that's my point what will/can each of us put up with to keep out of court. I feel if one is found innocent in a criminal trial that should be the end of it . I also feel much of our legal system is out of control and needs to be scraped in some cases

I agree. Carrying a weapon comes with a lot of baggage a person should be aware of and prepared to deal with. In my CCW Class we had a guy speak up and say," I'm a Christian. I don't know if I could shoot someone." I spoke up and asked, "Then what the hell are you doing here?"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 07:07:23 AM »
Good point SH cause if you haven't decided that in advance you have no business carrying one.

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 07:55:01 AM »
I am a Christian also, but you threaten my live or the life of my wife and kids I am willing to stop the threat at whatever cost to life or limb mine or yours.

Preferably not mine.

Doug

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 07:59:01 AM »
I am also and from what I can tell if you know a person means you no harm like retreating then don't shoot but if you do not know his intention you have the right to stop him.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 08:25:51 AM »
I am a Christian also and I believe that God views all human life a sacred and does not condone murder.  However, murder, the taking of an innocent life, is a far cry from killing in self defense or even state sanctioned corporal punishment.  Like I said I feel that in God's eyes all human life is sacred therefore it makes sence to me that he would want us to do whatever necessary to protect ourselves and our loved ones.  I challenge anyone to point out to me where Jesus tells us we should idly sit back and allow another to take our lives, the lives of our loved ones or the lives of other innocent people.

Many quote Mathew 26:52 as an admonition to carry or use arms. However, note tells Peter to put his sward back in it's place not to through away his sward.   

I tend to agree with interpretation written in Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible.

Then said Jesus unto him,.... That is, unto Peter,

put up again thy sword into its place, or sheath. This Christ said not only to rebuke Peter for his rashness, but to soften the minds of the multitude, who must be enraged at such an action; and which was still more effectually done by his healing the man's ear: and indeed, had it not been for these words, and this action of Christ's; and more especially had it not been owing to the powerful influence Christ had over the spirits of these men, in all probability Peter, and the rest of the apostles, had been all destroyed at once,

For all they that take the sword, shall perish with the sword. This is not to be understood of magistrates who bear not the sword in vain, are ministers of God for good, and revengers of evil works; but of private persons that use the sword, and that not in self-defence, but for private revenge; or engage in a quarrel, to which they are not called; and such generally perish, as Peter must have done, had it not been for the interposition of almighty power. Though this seems to be spoken not so much of Peter, and of the danger he exposed himself to, by taking and using the sword, and so to deter him from it, but rather of these his enemies: and as an argument to make and keep Peter easy and quiet, and exercise patience, since, in a little time, God would avenge himself of them; and that the Jews, who now made use of the sword of the Roman soldiers, would perish by the sword of the Romans, as in a few years after the whole nation did.

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:44 AM »
Simply put....God helps those that help themselves.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 04:04:59 PM »
I doubt the validity of this but it makes a fun read. Thought it kinda fit with this thread. lol;

AN ACTUAL PERSONAL AD

To the Guy Who Tried to Mug Me In Downtown  Savannah   night before last.

Date: 2010-05-27, 1 :43 a.m.  E.S.T.

I was the guy wearing the black Burberry jacket that you demanded that I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend, threatening our lives. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings. I can only hope that you somehow come across this rather important message.

First, I'd like to apologize for your embarrassment; I didn't expect you to actually crap in your pants when I drew my pistol after you took my jacket. The evening was not that cold, and I was wearing the jacket for a reason. My girlfriend had just bought me that Kimber Model 1911 ...45 ACP pistol for my birthday, and we had picked up a shoulder holster for it that very evening. Obviously you agree that it is a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head ... isn't it?!

I know it probably wasn't fun walking back to wherever you'd come from with that brown sludge in your pants. I'm sure it was even worse walking bare-footed since I made you leave your shoes, cell phone, and wallet with me.  That prevented you from calling or running to your buddies to come help mug us again.

After I called your mother or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell, I explained the entire episode of what you'd done. Then I went and filled up my gas tank as well as those of four other people in the gas station, -- on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home took 150 gallons and was extremely grateful!

I gave your shoes to a homeless guy outside Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all the cash in your wallet. [That made his day!]

I then threw your wallet into the big pink "pimp mobile" that was parked at the curb ... after I broke the windshield and side window and keyed the entire driver's side of the car.

Later, I called a bunch of phone sex numbers from your cell phone. Ma Bell just now shut down the line, although I only used the phone for a little over a day now, so what 's going on with that? Earlier, I managed to get in two threatening phone calls to the DA's office and one to the FBI, while mentioning President Obama as my possible target.

The FBI guy seemed really intense and we had a nice long chat (I guess while he traced your number etc.).

In a way, perhaps I should apologize for not killing you, but I feel this type of retribution is a far more appropriate punishment for your threatened crime. I wish you well as you try to sort through some of these rather immediate pressing issues, and can only hope that you have the opportunity to reflect upon, and perhaps reconsider, the career path you've chosen to pursue in life. Remember, next time you might not be so lucky. Have a good day!

Thoughtfully yours,

Alex

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »
Someone posted this chain mail not long ago but I thought I'd post it again anyway.

Why I Carry a Gun  

My old grandpa said to me son,' there comes a time in every man's  life
when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and  usually it's
when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin'.
I  don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being  killed.

I  don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this  world can be a scary place.

I  don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are  real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun  because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the
world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I  carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun  so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating
myself for  failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I  carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and
not  on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a  gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a  
cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I  carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the  
ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry  a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am  
inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun  because I love life and the people who make it meaningful
to  me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect  themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just  investigate the
crime after it happens and then call someone in to  clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die  and too old to
take an ass whoopin'.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
I carry a gun because police protection is usually only minutes away, but violent crime usually takes place in a few seconds! (can't take credit for this)

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 04:09:03 AM »
Checklist when I leave the house in my truck: flashlight, spare tire, fire ext., wallet, spare key, knife (in pocket), battery cables, jack, cell phone.

Did I forget anything ? Seems I'm equipped for any situation, right ?

Now consider the consequences of not having one of the above items and needing it.

Consider the consequences of the remote possibility of needing your gun and not having it.

That's why I carry.