Author Topic: 45 GAP why not  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Noreaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
45 GAP why not
« on: January 06, 2011, 02:31:33 PM »
Glock is just about giving away 45 GAPs to LE. Is this catridge dead, will it last???

It looks good on paper, smaller grip then 45 acp and all the power of a 45 acp. Why isn't it catching on? I'd like to hear your opinions and or experience. I don't have any first hand knowledge with the 45 GAP.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: 45 GAP why not
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
because it is an answer to a non-existant problem. 

Offline mrloring

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »
+1 myronman3

The only thing that will keep it around is five state law enforcement agencies have adopted the .45 G.A.P.  New York, Georgia, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Florida

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »
Your right about it being a solution to a non existant problem. That being said it still seems like a decent idea. I've never used one and didn't know if it really worked as advertised. With Glock being the only company making it, (don't think Springfield makes a 45 GAP XD anymore,) I wondered if it was on the way out. The M&P 45 acp is making a strong sales push in LE. This could be the final nail in the 45 GAP coffin.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:09:01 AM »
No.  A solution to a non-existant problem is not a good idea, it is a waste of time and a unnecessary expense.  If I had known that nys had adopted the 45 gap I would have sent that whole bunch of woozies a box of tissues.  Wazzamatta nys, too much of a woozie to handle a real cartridge?  Is this a blumberg/paterson special that only wounds criminals in nyc? 

Hmmm, nys seems to have more than its share of solutions to non-existant problems.  Must have something to do with the low water table and the stuff that floats to the surface in nyc, which often becomes fertilizer in the rest of the state.  jmtcw.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 12:21:48 PM »
No it won't last. Same reason the .30-06 is still a top seller. 

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 05:03:46 AM »
Talked to a couple PA State Troopers - PA used to issue Beretta 96D - no complaints from the "men".  Went to Glock 37s - as rumor has it - because of pricing ($340 per piece is what I've heard).  Finding suitable quantities of practice ammo appears to have been a serious problem.  I'm not tuned in to the chatter currently, so I don't know if the ammo availability problem has aleviated or not.  Also, was told by "reliable" sources that there were at least 3 KABOOMS with the G37s within the first year of issue - causes were not specified, perhaps simply inexperience with the firearm.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 05:56:29 AM »
The kaboom is not good to hear. Usually, with glocks, it's traced back to reloads. Friend was shooting with a guy and his G21 blew up and injured his eye. He was using reloads he bought over the counter at a gun shop.

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 01:50:18 PM »
Sorry guys, I can't pass up an opportunity to pull out this oldie! :D

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar81.htm

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »
1)Do you really have to have a .45 hole?

2)Do you really have to have a double stack magazine?

3)Do you have normal to small size hands? 

Your answer to the above questions should drive your purchase.

Here is something to think about in the economy of a gun purchase. Ammo cost quickly outstrips weapon cost if you actively shoot that pistol. Three hundred rounds of practice ammo is argueably the cost difference between a G21 and the GAP pistol. If you bulk purchase over the innerwebs ammo cost and availability aren't that big of an issue. Check your local ammo supplier to see if he is willing to work with you if mail order ammo is a no no in your state.

If however what you are looking for is a new weapon to load up and stick in the car, or cabin, or boat,  seldom shoot, but still want a reliable Glock, why not. For that scenario a couple boxes of ball ammo to confirm it'll go bang and a couple of boxes of SD ammo will argueably last forever.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
I don't know what they were thinking. Why duplicate such a popular cartridge? Instead, they should have come out with a single stack .45 ACP on a flatter full size frame (G17, G22, etc.) and I'm betting they couldn't make enough of them.

The G21 (which I've carried for about 15-16 years) was adapted from the 10mm G20. The huge frame was built around the 10mm cartridge, and simply converted to .45 ACP for the American market. It has a lot of empty space in the grip. If the G36 is a 6+1 gun, a full sized, single stack .45 ACP could easily be a 8+1 pistol.

But instead they come out with a remake of the .45 ACP cartridge? Remakes are seldom as good as the original. In this case, it wasn't even close -- as sales prove.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
As I understand it Griz the idea was to put a 45cal bullet in a 40 cal size grip while not reducing capacity.

Now myself I thought that was why the 10mm/40S&W was invented, to put .45 power in a 9mm grip without sacrificing to much capacity.

Some people refuse to believe people can be stopped with anything less than a .45 projectile.

There is also speculation that Gaston wanted his name on a cartridge. Heck S&W has there name on the .40, SIG has the .357, Luger gets the 9mm, Colt claims the .45. Whats a guy got to do to get a round named after him, answer... build one for yourself. Guy probably deserves one named after him, he has revolutionized the pistol industry after all.

Edsel Ford has his namesake Gaston Glock has his.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**