Author Topic: Minnesota deer hunting  (Read 678 times)

Offline smokey66

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Minnesota deer hunting
« on: December 16, 2003, 01:42:12 AM »
I posted this in another forum here at GBO without any success. so I'll try here.... I have recently become interested in deer hunting Minnesota. I would like to hear some comments and opinions from some of you guys who have hunted there. I would like to hear such things as, where to go to see some decent size bucks. should I try to hunt public or private land? I would like to hunt with a rifle. I'm not looking for a fenced in , guided or "gimmee' hunt. can you guys point me in the right direction. any advice will be appreciated. thanks, I'll check back later....

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
Minnesota deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 05:04:49 AM »
Smokey:  Ifyou dont get the info you are looking for try contacting the Minn. Game and fish Dept. they may be able to steer you in the direction of info you are looking for. :D    JIM

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Minnesota deer hunting
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 09:09:53 AM »
You might want to PM or e-mail thru the system here a poster using the screen name of Quester. I know he lives in MN. He might can help some. I think you are asking more than most are going to be willing to share but I dunno. Most folks who know where the nice bucks are seem to want to keep them for theirselves. Selfish of them isn't it?  :-D

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Minnesota deer hunting
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 04:52:32 PM »
Hey Smokey,

I live in the Saint Paul area.. Was my first year out this year. Hunted up North. I ended up shooting a 4 pt Buck and a huge Doe. I would try and hunt private land.. you may have more luck.

I hunt with a 260 Remington Model Seven Stainless/Synthetic with a Leupold 3-9 VXII. A very nice gun, and handles recoil extremely well. It is very light which is a bonus when trying to haul to the stand. Feel free to email me at crazy4pike@msn.com and we can chat.

:D  Best of luck, HuntingGuy :D
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Minnesota deer hunting
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 08:20:37 AM »
:D When I lived in MN 30 years ago I never found a spot to consistently shoot a deer much less a big buck. Mu experience with MN is that northern MN is a lot like the UP. There are a few big deer all over but maybe not a lot of deer anywhere. A easy winter could help that.

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
Minnesota deer hunting
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 10:22:56 AM »
Freddogs-

Went hunting this year.. Saw 60-80 deer over a 2 day period on our land. Might just be your location  :lol:

:P  HuntingGuy :P
HuntingGuy

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Minnesota deer hunting
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 06:20:36 AM »
:D What part of northern Minnesota were you hunting?

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
Minnesota deer hunting
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 06:26:52 AM »
Hmm.. I think I forgot ;-)  :-D

:D HuntingGuy :D
HuntingGuy

Offline Mnswede

• Avid Poster
Minnesota deer hunting
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 03:53:42 AM »
You want to hunt private land unless you want to suffer with the hunters that think that the public land is their private hunting preserves.  Northeast Mn around the Red river valley area, central Mn, or southern Mn for your very large farm fed deer.  I hunt around Hibbing area on my land which butts up to several 1000s acres of county forfit state land and due to swamp issues, this is pretty much my whole private hunting area.  I filled out my tags with does this year, and I saw several bucks.

Offline Haggis

Minnesota deer hunting
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 08:47:21 AM »
My son and I killed six deer on my hundred acre homestead this season in Northern Minnesota during gun season. Our place always has deer in numbers.
Self Description:  Ego sum sanguinarius homo indomitus
Personal Motto:  Bona Na Croin
Family Motto:  Buaidh Na Bàs