Author Topic: Modern 6.5 swede bolt action.  (Read 3945 times)

Offline MICHIMAN65

• Trade Count: (5)
Modern 6.5 swede bolt action.
« on: January 07, 2011, 05:37:24 PM »
 Hey guys, looking for some input. I've got a cz-550 in 6.5 swede that I intend to hang onto, but the rifle is kinda heavy. I'm looking for a lighter weight modern bolt action in 6.5. Any suggestions?

Offline Harry Snippe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Modern 6.5 swede bolt action.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 05:50:41 PM »
Keep your eyes open for a T3 tikka .
Happy

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »
My lightest 6.5x55 is an Encore with 24" tapered barrel and synthetic stocks.  I carry the rifle a lot and my daughter used it to take 2 antelope when she was 14.  It is handy to pull up in tree stands and used it last week to take 3 coyotes from standing in one spot.   My accuracy gun in that caliber is a Savage 110 with a heavy 25" ss McGowen barrel but you could use a light sporter barrel and wind up with a light weight shooter.  I have rebarreled savages to .260, ,270, and 6.5x55 with the latter being my favorite but all were accurate.  I have a Sav mod 116 in 270 I bought to rebarrel to a lightweight 6.5x55 but haven't gotten around to it. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 02:28:37 AM »
ruger chambered the 77s for it winchester made some 70 featherweights and ive heard howa has come out with a rifle chambered in it but havent seen one yet.
blue lives matter

Offline usherj

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 02:57:50 AM »
I went through the same process about 5 years ago. The CZs are solid and accurate, but I agree that the model you mentioned was on the heavy side.  An exception could be made if you are mostly stand hunting. Once I handled the T3 and worked its bolt I was sold. Nice feel, great trigger, very accurate. I hunt some rough, steep areas and have never had any problems with the polymer trigger guard and detachable magazine, which is considered a negative by many. I have both the wood and synthetic stock models, and I have to concede that the checkering on the wood stock has more bite and I get better grip when using gloves. The synthetic stock is otherwise very sturdy and well made, not one of those cheap twisty versions. The best advice would be to get your hands on examples and base your decision on that. The Savages are very accurate as well and made in the US. That is more important now more than ever. I am aware of a used T3 hunter in 6.5x55 in a local shop (upstate NY). PM if interested and I will give location. It still wore the factory rings, and I would venture a guess that that was the mystery "problem" with it. On that issue, see the sticky at the top. Good luck

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 07:30:39 AM »
I want one pretty bad. Every time I figure out what new rifle purchase I can "justify" I end up arriving at the conclusion that I need a 6.5x55.  Now I noticed there are three different 6.5 of the vintage era, one of them is a little different in diameter {the case dimension}

about 6 years ago I ran across a new Howa synthetic in 6.5x55  for $399 and I took that sucker to the counter about three times and finally decided to not buy it. So I left it there and regretted it for a long time.

Later down the road I bought a 260 and I love that sucker but I want a traditional 6.5 to launch some big long 160 gr RN boolits with.  I also have 500 .264 129gr Hornady bullets, but that wouldn't be too "classic".
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 08:21:47 AM »
I used to load "those 160 RN" and killed quite a few deer with them . How ever -on a shoulder shot on Moose I am told the 14o premium would have been a better choice as the animal walked away . :'

If you see a tikka in 6.5 then grab it as the t3 so chambered is not imported any more .

So that would leave you soon -with only the creedmore
Happy

Offline shot1

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 10:31:08 AM »
If you are going to shoot 160 gr bullets you better be sure that you get a rifle with an 8 twist because the 9 twist will not stableize them.

As far as your current rifle being too heavy. Why don't you do a little working out and weight lifting and it will not seem heavy any more. You can take a length of 1 1/2 or 2" PVC pipe and cap both ends filled with sand with some lead shot added to bring it up to the weight of your current rifle. Take a 30 minute walk around your neighborhood with it every day for a few weeks before time to go hunting. You will not notice the wight and you will be in better shape for hunting.

Bullets like the 130 to 140 gr Nosler Accubond or Partition will do a much better job on large game than the old cup and core 160's. A 140 .264 bullet has the sectional density of a .308 190 gr bullet. At average 2700 to 2800 fps they really go deeeeeeep when that hold together like the Nosler's do.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 10:58:56 AM »
The Tikka has been mentioned, but the Howa is 7 3/4#, not a featherweight but not heavy either.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »
  Have you consideres a rifle chambered in 260 Remington?  There are a lot of light rifles in that chambering. The 260 Rem is a modernized 6.5x55.

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 04:51:19 PM »
If you are going to shoot 160 gr bullets you better be sure that you get a rifle with an 8 twist because the 9 twist will not stableize them.

Funny that the model 96 as well as the 38 Swede had the one in nine rifling and the long lead to load .
My 160 Rn were reloads and never hhad a problem . No sub MOA , but then there was some bore wear after 40 and 100 years of age . The pulled FMJ weighing in @ 139 seem to get the beast groups even with the long throats .
Happy

Offline shot1

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 02:24:12 AM »
It depends on which reference loading manual you read some say the Swedes have 8.5 and others say 7.5 twist. The ones I have, 5 in all and different models, measure right at 7.9 as best as I can measure. They are metric twist measurement and I think that the loading manuals just round it off for standard measurement.

The problem with the 260 Rem rifles are they are short action and you really can't load them to equal a 6.5x55 with 140 or heaver bullets because you can't load the bullet long enough to keep it out of the powder capacity and have it work through the magazine. In a modern long action you can make the 6.5x55 smoke because you can use the full case for powder.

I checked out my collectors information on the Swede rifles. They are listed as having 7.5 Twist barrels. When I measured mine I forgot that the barrels were not even inch lengths. The m/38 & 96-38 has a 23.6 inch (58.67 cm) barrel, the m/96 has a 29.1 inch (73.91 cm) barrel. I forgot to add the extra little bit of barrel in my measurements so it does come out to 7.5 inch twist. This twist was needed to stableize the 156 grain (10.1 gm) skarp patron m/94 ( round nose) bullet.  They later went to the 139 grain (9 gm) skarp patron m/94 projektil m/41 prickskytte (spitzer pointed torped bullet). This bullet had a mild steel jacket that was nickel plated and lead core.

Get a 8 twist barrel if you are going to shoot 142 Sierra Match Kings or 160 RN bullets.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 03:59:53 AM »
I can understand people wanting to tinker with their rifles for interests sake, but on the other hand-if it ain't broke, why fix it?-my swedes chambered in 6.5x55 have some of the finest craftsmanship available in ANY rifle,but if you really wanted to cut some weight off it you might cut the barrel to 22'' and turn it down on a lathe-some guys install timney triggers,but actually they are just fine as they are.I might restock one of mine with a Boyds laminate thumbhole stock but only because I like them, not because it needs it.I have old Leupold m-8  4x scopes on mine and that makes as  fine a deer huntiing rig as you are going to get anywhere at any price...and I have put a lot of blacktails in my freezer to prove it

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 11:03:11 AM »
Which model do you have.My 550 FS in 6.5 weighs 7lbs 2oz without the scope. some of the other models are quite a bit heavier.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 04:14:41 PM »
 The tikka weighs 6 3/8LBs  with out the scope .
But don't take my word for it , shot 1 will probably know more .  LOL                                                                  I just own two t3's
Happy

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 09:50:10 AM »
If you are planning to hunt only deer or antelope with the rifle, I suggest you also consider the .260 Remington.  It will get the job done on deer as well as the Swede. If you are also considering larger animals (elk) the 6.5x55 is a better bet using 140 to 160 grain bullets. If you don't handload and want to hunt with the Swede, foreign made cartridges with high velocity for modern rifles will cost plenty.  If you do handload, use Norma or Lapua cases and you will also need a shell holder of the proper size. I am pleased with the performance of the Swede (Tikka T3) on game. It is suitable for elk with heavy bullets and proper bullet placement. The barrel twist rate of about 8 inches will handle the heavy bullets and also shoots well with 120 gr. bullets. Midway USA catalog lists muzzle velocity for several foreign made Swede cartridges.

Offline shot1

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 02:12:31 AM »
I know that this is an older thread but I just got my new Midway catalog and was noticing that Hornady and Sierra have stopped making 160 gr bullets in .264. The only heavy bullets in .264 that I can find are Woodleigh 160 gr and Lapua 155 gr and Norma 156 gr.

Offline guntech59

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 07:47:24 AM »

Funny that the model 96 as well as the 38 Swede had the one in nine rifling and the long lead to load .
My 160 Rn were reloads and never hhad a problem . No sub MOA , but then there was some bore wear after 40 and 100 years of age . The pulled FMJ weighing in @ 139 seem to get the beast groups even with the long throats .

The actual twist rate is 1/7.87".

Offline WyoStillhunter

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »
I have killed exactly one animal with the Hornady 160 gr. RN bullet (Prod. # 2640).  That was a spike elk in 2009.  Range was less than 50 yards.  He was walking calmly through the woods and not excited in the least.

The first shot hit the upper front leg bone just below the joint with the shoulder blade as he quartered toward me.  The elk staggered a little and kept walking but turning away with each step.  Second shot went in behind the last rib and angled toward the opposite shoulder.  He stopped and was obviously dying.  Third shot was through the neck to put him down.

To my shock and amazement the first bullet completely disintegrated against the leg bone without penetrating into the vitals at all.  I mean it disintegrated...no large pieces to be found when I butchered that shoulder in my garage.

This was from a handload (45 gr. Re19) with MV of 2422 fps out of a Rem. 700 Classic.  I use lots of Hornady bullets and still have faith in their products but this bullet did not perform as I would like.  In the future I will stick with a "premium" style bullet in 140 gr. for my elk loads.
Hunt close, then get closer.

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 05:15:05 AM »
I have killed exactly one animal with the Hornady 160 gr. RN bullet (Prod. # 2640).  That was a spike elk in 2009.  Range was less than 50 yards.  He was walking calmly through the woods and not excited in the least.

The first shot hit the upper front leg bone just below the joint with the shoulder blade as he quartered toward me.  The elk staggered a little and kept walking but turning away with each step.  Second shot went in behind the last rib and angled toward the opposite shoulder.  He stopped and was obviously dying.  Third shot was through the neck to put him down.

To my shock and amazement the first bullet completely disintegrated against the leg bone without penetrating into the vitals at all.  I mean it disintegrated...no large pieces to be found when I butchered that shoulder in my garage.

This was from a handload (45 gr. Re19) with MV of 2422 fps out of a Rem. 700 Classic.  I use lots of Hornady bullets and still have faith in their products but this bullet did not perform as I would like.  In the future I will stick with a "premium" style bullet in 140 gr. for my elk loads.

I had the same experience on moose the 160 gr just came apart . I have used these bullets on deer and they worked well How ever - I was advised it would have been better o use a 140 gr. premium bullet to get the job done
Happy

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
FWIW, My 6.5x55 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Classic weighs 6lbs 6oz, bareback.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Lost Oki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 02:37:38 PM »
Shame on you guys for telling us about light weight 6.5's.  I sporterized an original Mauser with matching serial numbers (don't want to hear it) because that is what I wanted...and still do.  24" barrel it comes in around 8 lbs with scope...its a lot lighter than my 54 hawken with 28" barrel.  Shoot....my my my...out shoots anything I have in the cabinet..I actually have a target that had 2 129 gr and 2 140 gr shots but only 2 holes.  Now that was off the bench at 70 yrds.  But 6.5 lbs would be sweet.  I keep thinking I need a varmint rifle but then I come back to the swede...

Offline semperfi1970

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 03:33:02 AM »
Is 1916 modern enough, here is my 6.5x55 hunting rifle.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 02:41:47 PM »
Well this is my sporterised Swedish Mauser, it came commercially sporterised but the bolt handle was just forged down so i had it replaced with the one in the photo which is much better:-

Last year i removed the irons as the muzzle is now threaded 1/2" UNF to take a sound moderator. The receivers inspectors initial means it dates from around 1905.

Offline parkergunshop

• Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 03:18:36 PM »
My modern 6.5 x55 was built using a ZV24 Mauser Action with a 24 inch medium wt Shaw  barrel glass bedded in a walnut wood stock.

I only used 140 grain bullets, but it shot both the Sierra and Speer 140's into less than 1 inch with four different powders W785, N204, H380 and H4350 powders.

The best group was .284 inch group at 100 yards for 3 shots using xx grains of H380 behind a 140 grain Sierra, velocity 2754 fps.
U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline semperfi1970

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 03:49:12 PM »
Parkergunshop, I have had great results using the 140 grain Nosler Accubond. I tend to shoot the Sierra match king or the Nosler custom comp, but for the 6.5 the Nosler accubond shines for me. With my 1916 swed I do not measure groups with calipers I use a tape measure as I use double ghost ring sights. Amazing enough for me I can hold a 14" group at 600 yards using hunting ghost rings. I have yet tried but want to shoot the swed out to 1,000 yards. I am always amaized with the flatness of trajectory out past 300 yards with the 6.5, the darn things hover like a frisbee compaired to my .30 cal's and 7mm's.

Brithunter, thats one mighty fine firearm you have there.

Offline parkergunshop

• Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 01:24:52 AM »

I am an old NBRSA benchrest shooter, I use calipers to measure the widest part of the group and then subtract the bullet diameter from that.

For the group listed earlier the measurement would be:

.548 measured
.264 bullet diameter subtracted
____ equals
.284 group size for 3 shots

Which is really the difference in the bullet size and the group.
U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 02:04:17 PM »
Parkergunshop, I have had great results using the 140 grain Nosler Accubond. I tend to shoot the Sierra match king or the Nosler custom comp, but for the 6.5 the Nosler accubond shines for me. With my 1916 swed I do not measure groups with calipers I use a tape measure as I use double ghost ring sights. Amazing enough for me I can hold a 14" group at 600 yards using hunting ghost rings. I have yet tried but want to shoot the swed out to 1,000 yards. I am always amaized with the flatness of trajectory out past 300 yards with the 6.5, the darn things hover like a frisbee compaired to my .30 cal's and 7mm's.

Brithunter, thats one mighty fine firearm you have there.

Thank you ............................................. I am rather fond of it. My next task is to replace the std flag safety on it at some point.