Author Topic: Range Report  (Read 375 times)

Offline MSM

• Trade Count: (0)
Range Report
« on: January 08, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »
  I took the .45-70 to the range today with the Lee 500 grain bullets. The bullets were cast from wheel weights, air cooled and lubed with LLA. They measured .459". I was pleased with the results of the bullets and the range for a first effort. The recoil was not near what I imagined, there was only a little leading and they shot an average of 2.5" at 100 yards. They shot close enough to the impact of my Remington 405 JFN load that I didn't feel I needed to change the zero.
  I cleaned what little lead that accumulated out with the jacketed loads. That beats solvents, patches, brushes and cleaning rods any time! I am a little puzzled that the lead buildup was at the breach. Store bought cast bullets in the past leaded up the muzzle.
  I did notice the crimped loads did not shoot quite as well as the others. This is definitely a good starting place for me (the forum and the load.). There are a couple of things I will try to improve the accuracy. I'll keep you posted. Any pearls of wisdom will be considered and appreciated.
  Thanks,
  MSM