Author Topic: bullet pulling question  (Read 519 times)

Offline Redneckguy77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • punchin 10's all day
bullet pulling question
« on: January 08, 2011, 10:13:15 PM »
when i pull a bullet from a case do i have to run it through my resizing die to resize the neck of the case or can i just trim the case, chafer it and pop the bullet back in. i was guessing that i need to resize the neck again but im just making sure i do right!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: bullet pulling question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 11:46:42 PM »
I have done it both ways.

Years ago I had a 308 and did allot of shooting. My uncle had cases of military FMJ 147Gr ammo. I pulled many of these and seated 150Gr SPs and fired them off at targets and deer. Never had a lick of a problem.

Now a days, I would pull them, toss powder in a bowl and sacrifice the primers when I re sized them. I would reuse the powder in them with new bullets. One thing I will never do is to put that powder back in the can. No matter how accurate my notes and load data are on that box of bullets. I will weigh the charge, ID powder as close as I can and reuse as is with similar weight bullet in same caliber.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline TXSPIKE

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:40:09 AM »
I pull the bullet,pour the powder out,lube the case,remove the primer decapping pin from the resizing die stem,reinsert the stem back into the resizing die and resize the case.This way you don't have to decap the live primers and you will resize the case just like you did before it was primed.

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 02:23:08 AM »
i do it like txspike.....pull the bullet,remove decapping pin, resize the case

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:25:23 AM »
Well if you don't resize the neck, you'll defenatly notice some lost neck tension.
Depends on what you wanna do with the ammo. It won't be your best target stuff, but it'll be ok for plinking/trigger practice.
 txspike an zoner pull the pin, I've gone to a Lee universal decapper so the pins are out of all my sizing dies.
I'll use a little of Lees resizing lube for a job like this, it doesn't require washing and when dry does not affect the powder.
found elsewhere

Offline wncchester

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:53:19 AM »
"i do it like txspike.....pull the bullet,remove decapping pin, resize the case"

Ditto.  But, you can skip resizing and it really won't make much - if any - difference.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Redneckguy77

• punchin 10's all day
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »
the reason i ask is i loaded up some 165 sst in my 308 and the cases were to big for my chamber so i need to shorten them. can i still use the bullet and the powder or is there a chance of change of accuracy and misfire?

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:57:26 AM »
If you didn't crimp them and these are YOUR loads, I'd pull the bullets, dumping the powder in a cup or bowl. You can either remove the decapper or raise it, if you decide to resize(which ain't too bad of an idea if trimming). I've pulled bullets, dumped powder and reloaded the same cases with no problems as long as the neck still applies tension to the bullets.

HWD