Author Topic: Finally....a dead coyote!  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Dinny

• Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Finally....a dead coyote!
« on: January 09, 2011, 10:54:08 AM »
I finally got one!!  The Hornady Superformance Varmint 58gr V-Max .243 Win load worked great. Not too good for fur-hunters but that I am not. It was a very exciting hunt that ended a much different way than I would have ever thought. I called into the wind for a good hour before deciding to call it a morning. When I walked away from the old barn (where I was hiding) to get my caller and decoy, I noticed something in the field about 800 yards away. Looking through my scope I noticed it was a coyote. I went back to the barn without my shooting sticks or caller. From there, I watched this coyote. It was acting very suspiciously. I soon saw another coyote meet up with it and they both started trotting towards the barn. I took-up a good prone unsupported position and watched them for about 15 mins while they meandered towards me. This field is terraced due to poor drainage and once the coyote were out of my sight, I wrapped my sling around my left arm and laid the rifle down. I knew that in just another minute they would crest over the terrace in front of me at about 60yds. They did just that but were a little south of me. I moved to get a better position and drew a good bead on the first one to come over. She dropped the moment the trigger broke. The other one ran a short ways off and I had to give-up my position by moving more. I had a clear shot but was shaking too much to get a good shot. Since I had a good backdrop, I fired one off and missed. He was long gone now...prolly still running.
  My wife is a bit miffed at me for taking our daughter out for a photo op, but she'll get over it...I hope. ;D

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Finally....a dead coyote!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:56:40 AM »
Good job Dinny....  ;)

That sure is a mangy lookin' Curr!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »
No mange, just a long dirt drag following a bloody shot to the neck. She's small cuz she's a runt. ;D

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 11:27:20 AM »
Size dont matter when were speakin' of song dogs!!! I don't know if there truly is a difference, but we call ours Eastern Coyotes.

I have personally shot them at almost 60#. The two I got earlier this year where both about 35-40#... I have herd tales of 70+ dogs but not seen one myself. My father shot a male in the mid 70's that went 63#, beautiful dog, not a whiff of odor, clean and bug free as your own house dog. I have that dog in a full body mount down in my family room.

Midwestern dogs tend to be a bit smaller say 25- 40#

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »
Congratulations.
Lot of coyotes get shot as a result of messing up a deer hunt, but to intentionally call one in and drop it is something to be celebrated.

Need more details:
What call were you using? What sequence of calls?
What decoy? Did they see the decoy?
Did you stop the coyote with a yip, or shoot it on the move?
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »
I was all done calling when I looked over at another field adjacent to mine and saw the first coyote. I'm sure that neither coyote saw my decoy or heard my caller. I use a Mojo Critter and a Primos Power Dog. I just waited for them to stop walking and laid into the first one I saw.

They were just traveling in my direct path but had no idea I was hiding there.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 02:58:30 PM »
 Yesssssss

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 03:06:10 PM »
Congratulations Dinny you're one up on me so far this year ;D (unless you count hitting one with a truck). I'm waiting for the weather to break so I can go try my  JS Preymaster4 I got for CHRISTmas. it sounds great and drives the neighbors dog crazy  ;D ;D......... Larry(nova71)
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:19:54 PM »
Congratulations Dinny you're one up on me so far this year ;D (unless you count hitting one with a truck). I'm waiting for the weather to break so I can go try my  JS Preymaster4 I got for CHRISTmas. it sounds great and drives the neighbors dog crazy  ;D ;D......... Larry(nova71)

That's funny! I used a howler at night once and that got the neighbor's dogs going too. Good think the neighbors can't tell the difference. ;D

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 03:24:36 PM »
Way to go Dinny ;) Nice black tipped tail.

I bet they were coming to your call.
The big one was just waitin on the slow little one ;D

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 03:28:13 PM »
Anybody need a new hat? ;D As long as you don't mind a back-ended hat, the front end is a little messed up from the V-Max bullet. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 03:50:58 PM »
I think Lonnie called it. He's been waitin on a hat for a while.

I had a chance to get him one today but didn't pull the trigger. I watched this guy for a good 15 minutes. He went through my backyard, stopped in front of my 200yd backstop and went into the woods. I went downstairs for a few and came back up for a look, he was coming back across my yard. I ran back down and grabbed the camera and batteries out of the charger. Snuck outside and watched him looking for mice and shot him with the Kodak. I felt he deserved a sporting chance so will try to call him in sometime ;D

Pretty nice Fox. I think I need a higher caliber camera to reach out there better ;)

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »
sweet       ;D ;D
and i thank you for another job well done ;D ;D
rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »
sweet       ;D ;D
and i thank you for another job well done ;D ;D
rw

Calling it a job means that it was almost like work. Work it was but not the same kind I do everyday to pay the bills. This was actually fun.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 12:56:11 AM »
the work part is keeping your cool when 1 or 2 of them come in!  and not getting so excited that you can not hit the critter(s)   ;D    now i can guess that you will be back out ;D ;D good luck on the next one too.
     rw 
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 12:01:15 PM »
Hey Dinny, I bet Lonnies head has been getting cold out working on those trucks ;D

I bet he wouldn't mind that back ended hat as long as he wore it with the tail to the back ;D
Sorry, couldn't resist :D

I would at least keep that tail, it looked good in the pic ;)

What did your daughter think of that bloody Shepard and is your wife speaking to you?

You been back after the other one yet? Good Luck!

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 01:22:43 PM »
 Big Varmint

You have no idea how much I could have used that hat these last few weeks ;) I am thinking if I could make it one of those hats that have the flaps on the sides.

I do appreciate you thinking of me though :D you funny man!

Lonny

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 01:23:25 PM »
Lonny has a full head of hair, he'll be fine if that hat doesn't come until Spring. ;D  I do plan on keeping the tail. My daughter enjoyed being out there next to the yote. She was talking to it saying, "woof woof". :) My wife has finally cooled off....I had to use hand sanitizer after touching the yote and before touching my daughter. ::)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 05:42:39 PM »
My wife has finally cooled off....I had to use hand sanitizer after touching the yote and before touching my daughter. Roll Eyes

Thanks, Dinny

not a bad idea as some yotes are nasty critters and roll in or on dead stuff and our kid tend to be more precious
       rw

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 05:46:39 PM »
My grandfather and father both trapped when I was young to supplement their incomes. I can't even begin to imagine how many muskrats, beaver, mink, coons, and skunks I played with as a kid. I turned out mostly alright... ::)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 07:10:56 PM »
nice dog. wish i could call them but im really hard of hearing and tone deaf to much FA.lots of them down in my neck of ind.. buy the way is that box in your truck some new camo. are what

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 06:58:26 AM »
Dang Dinny!  Would have thought you would have at least transitioned to pull-ups by now.   ;D   Looks to me like a young dog.  Probably young enough to still be running with a litter mate.  Had a mating pair appear early last spring with 5 young.  Left them alone then knowing they would grow into better targets later on.  Got the last of them in December and she looked almost identical to yours.  Got the older male back in the summer while he was trying to get into my kennel about 2:30 one morning and although I didn't bother weighing him I did see that he was about the same size of my smallest dog and he weighed 66# at the time.

Washing your hands must be overrated since I've seen my FIL take a break from skinning the morning catch, no matter if it had fur or scales, wipe his hands on his pants, and eat a sandwich.  I at least ran some water over my hands to knock loose some of the hair or scales.  The way we look at things has certainly changed in later years.   Not sure if that's good or bad.   ???

Offline Saloon slug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 03:54:16 PM »
Outstanding ;D ;D

You should get the scull bleached. They make for a cool conversation piece on a book case self. :)
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »
You should get the scull bleached. They make for a cool conversation piece on a book case self. :)

That's a good idea, I think I will do that myself.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine