Author Topic: Vintage Redfield 2.75x5 20mm question  (Read 412 times)

Offline Old Lucky 01

• Trade Count: (2)
Vintage Redfield 2.75x5 20mm question
« on: January 09, 2011, 03:38:59 PM »
I have been looking for a small compact scope for my Marlin 1894c and have been offered to buy two different vintage Redfield wideview 1 3/4x5 scopes which are similar in price.  Upon seeing photos of both scopes, I noticed that one has a slightly bulged front lens area...not really a true bell type lens like you would see on a 32mm or greater, but definitely different than a true 20mm variable smooth tube that the second Redfield has.  I know both of these scopes are long out of production, but what I need to know is if one style has better qualities then the other..considering that the scopes are listed exactly the same otherwise.  I am looking for the scope that has the most light gathering abilities...is one of these discontinued scopes newer than the other?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Vintage Redfield 2.75x5 20mm question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 01:48:39 AM »
at 5x a 20mm objective will let in about all the light your eyes will allow. I would make sure that the one with the larger objective will mount properly on your gun. Some smaller scopes will not come back far enough in the rings to give you proper eye relief if they have a bell objective lense.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Vintage Redfield 2.75x5 20mm question
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:09:55 AM »
This has become a topic of intrest lately. Fueled by the propensity of many folks that with most things, bigger must be better. By and large hunting here in the States, is a sunrise to sunset proposition. Having said that, giant objectives on quality scopes are really not necessarry. But it's what the consumers think that they need, so if manufacturers want good sales, you make what sells.

As Lloyd said, either of these scopes will very likely fit your needs for legal shooting hours. The size of the front objective does have an effect on the ability to allow light into or thru the scope. BUT the quality of the grind, polish and optical coatings have a far greator effect. The human eye only needs 4-6pm of lite thru the scope. The ambient light available during reg hunting hours is plenty for about any 100$ and up scope to allow you to see what you want to shoot. Better scopes make that clearer. This is much more apparent with variables. They have more glass in them. Every piece of glass takes a bit away from the lite passing thru it. Better quality glass less. Better quality glass with good coatings less still. Injustice diameter is a very small part of that equation.

Suffice it to say, buy a quality scope and don't worry about the size of the objective. IMHO you should buy the best scope you can afford. That's why I have Leupold scopes mounted on H&R rifles.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.