Author Topic: OK, NOW----LAUGH  (Read 3817 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
OK, NOW----LAUGH
« on: January 10, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »
 I have this S&W model 28 .357--- I want to carry it.
It is obvious that I can't carry it in my usual style.
It is an "N" frame.
I am considering a 3 or 3 1/2 " Ranger belt and holster----but would ---maybe---consider a belt slide. No bullet loops.
I want a high ride without a thumb snap---even a Yaqui  would be good.
Give me some hints and thoughts.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: OK, NOW----LAUGH
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 12:07:27 PM »
I'm not agonna' laugh Wm.  I understand your predicament.  How to carry is always a problem.  The size of the gun, the size of the shooter, the season and  type of clothing involved, all combine to make a thing work or not.  After all, it doesn't do much good to have a gun if you can't "get at it". 

I'll have to ponder on this a while.  Perhaps just a straight up western carry type holdter with a heavy belt and perhaps a shoulder strap included if like me your waist has moved............ ???

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:21:56 PM »
Hey Will!

No laughter here!  I have a 4" SWM29 mountain revolver and I carry sometimes.  I use a yaqui and I think Bianchi makes a #105 blackwidow.  Worth check'n out.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 01:35:34 PM »
I used to carry a Model 28 in a simple slide holster made for N frames.  Barrel length was 6 inches.  I simply wore the holster over my rear pocket, and let the muzzle disappear in the pocket.  Heavy, but concealable, even with the big wooden grips. 

Another factor.  Model 28's had one flaw, other than size.  My dad, an ATF agent, told me the weapon would not function if fired straight up.  I can hardly imagine a time when one would need to shoot straight up, but I tried it.  Sure enough, the cartridges would drop away from the cylinder and lock up the action.  I reckon that would be true with a Model 27. 

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »
Rear and in pocket---deserves some thought and trying.
Actually the reason for tha sans scabbard carry--as usual--is the bulk of the roller.
I am REALLY considering a belt carry/western belt rig (if that makes it more clear) because of the weight, #1 and because of the ease of on and off, #2.
Ross Leather makes some good choices for the scabbards---but I am open to others that are "N" frame specific---not one fits all. I am also wanting---if I can--a maker who will do a 3 or 3 1/2" belt and scabbard.
I know---I am anal?  :-*
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 08:26:40 PM »
Are you anal? Of course. You're a serious gun nut. We all are.
However, I don't know if the Earth will spin on its axis correctly if you start carrying something other than a 1911!

I don't think you'll like the Yaqui. Two plainclothed officers who were customers of mine had them and hated them. Their guns got all banged up on car door frames and all sorts of stuff. It just didn't protect the gun enough.

I sometimes carry N frames. I have a 4" 57 and a 3" 24. I have three holsters that work pretty well: Simply Rugged Pancake, Lobo Leatherworks Tom Threepersons, and a Bianchi Cyclone. The Cyclone is actually the most comfortable. I'm thinking about getting a Pistol Packaging Bandito Shoulder Belt holster for packing through the woods.

Good luck, and if what Mike in Virginia says is true, don't shoot at any airplanes!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 04:59:21 AM »
Sounds to me like a  marketing ploy opportunity for another safty.
That was also my concern about the yauqui.
I just don't want a scabbard that hides the gun.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jimster

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 11:54:19 AM »
Sounds to me like a  marketing ploy opportunity for another safty.
That was also my concern about the yauqui.
I just don't want a scabbard that hides the gun.
Blessings

I thought you didn't need no stinking scabbard?

You were the one that taught me this one..how many times have I just stuck it in my pants and tilted it forward and went to the store (even muttered under my breath I don't need no stinking scabbard), and now you want a scabbard after showing me the way. I'm surprised at you.  ;D

N frame wheel gun?...you might need a scabbard.    ;)

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 02:09:32 PM »
I tried the sans scabbard thing about three days---it hides ok---but the roller feels like a washing board and I had to tighten up the belt pretty hadidly--dang thing is heavy  and don't lay flat.
I ordered a pancake styled beltless needed holster---dang near cried in shame.  :'( ;)
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »
I know you do not want a thumb break but I like my thumb break on the holster I have for mine.  Looks like a Bianchi No 5 that they no longer make.
But with how heavy the revolver is you bend over to tie your shoes and out pops the gun.
I like to have the barrel enclosed but that is a personal thing.  I have had a thumb break on most of my carry holsters and use the break whne shooting comptition.  Yes it is a fraction of a second slower than not but the gun is right where I want it when I draw.
I forgot the name of the outfit that made the holster, but it is leather and was not overly expensive.  holds the gun close and secure.  and with a second belt with a keeper rides fine all day.  When i go home I will pull out the holster and give you a name and website.
Similar to Dougs suggestion of a 105 Widow maker just has a closed barrel.  Day on the range and the open barrel will make a mess out of your jeans or khakis.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 03:44:44 PM »
Just a thought, but you might check out a Holster Kings Universal Holster. It can be worn inside or outside the pants and will easily accept about any handgun you can name. What I also like is that it holds the firearm securely but it's a very easy and smooth draw from it. If interested check out my post on a universal holster on this forum.

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 08:37:11 PM »
These can be made for double actions. Custom order belt slots and belt from El Paso Saddlery. How much money do you want to spend?   ;D

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-152-9-allegiance.aspx

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-162-9-crosshair.aspx

You can browse their site for others and options if you like.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-9-holsters.aspx

EPS Tom Three Persons rig;
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »
Milt Sparks Hackathorn Special. I'm trying to remember the open top holsters I know of.   :-\

http://www.miltsparks.com/

Mernickle Holsters;

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/bwcc_daa.html

Simply Rugged Range Master;

http://www.simplyrugged.com/range-master/

Or you can knock yourself out with this list of makers;

http://pistolsmith.com/holsters-belts/21725-compiled-list-holster-makers.html

" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 02:34:09 AM »
I like the El Paso offerings and have contacted them already----I just am not to the point that this will be---or is any I own---my only carry piece.
If that were true---El Paso might already be stitching & Tooling it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 05:11:27 AM »
Here is my Tripple K holster and double speed loader holder.
I just stuck  the belt from my jeans on the holster so you can see how it rides.
This holster also has the ability to do cross draw.
Like Galco 104 or Bianchi 111
It is lined, it is not pretty but it is very functional.

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 06:13:57 AM »
I have a Bianchi 5BHL for my M-57. It is just like the Triple K in the picture. I like it alot, but because it concentrates the weight of the gun in such a small area on the belt, it feels really heavy hanging off of me jeans belt. I have thought about trying a pancake type or something to distribute the weight accross a wider space on my belt for comfort.

I also have a similar Triple K for my M-15 that is very comfortable for that weight class of revolver.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 06:39:25 AM »
I usually wear a pistol belt but it is in my shooting bag and I did not want to drag it out.
It is a wider belt made by Bianchi
With a keeper on the back to keep the belt from riding up and one on the left side it helps to distribute the weight.
I do not carry the gun.  It is my house gun that I take to IDPA/ steel shoots to keep current with it.  When I do carry it at the shoots the holster keeps the gun tucked in.  The second belt acts like a fanny pack and distributes the weight all around my waist.  Do the same thing with my 6" model 29 and even the small Det Special.
Oh ment to mention Saddle bum - nice revolver and rig.  Arn't you afraid of getting BBQ sauce on the Ivory grips?

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 06:45:34 AM »
Yes, I should try using the holster on a second belt before I spend more money on another holster.

Wish I could say that the gun and rig in the picture are mine, but they are not. Just a pic I have saved on my laptop.

Here's some of Elmer's N frame rigs,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 07:05:53 AM »
Bianchi Cyclone , carry strong side or cross draw . Carry a redhawk in one . Also a Galco DAO is a nice one . The DSO can be had in Camo . I have used bouh and both are good .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 07:45:05 AM »
I wish Bianchi still made the #6 holster.
It was a pancake like the #7 but for revolvers.  I like the # 7 and have a few for my autos keeps them close in and secure.
Had one for a M 65
Never should have gotten rid of either the gun or the holster.

Saddlebum,
I started to do the over belt when we were in and out of a truck hunting.  the revolver and knife and other crud I carry on me when hunting was uncomfortable in and out of the truck was uncomfortable sitting on all that stuff.  Sitting in a dinner with an empty holster told everyone that my revolver was in the truck, go break some glass and help your self.  A second belt was  better but still a draw back until I got a keeper  or two to mary the over belt to the one on my pants and keep it from riding up when seated or falling down when walking.  Similar to the velcro duty belts.  Great system.  Just wish some one like Bianchi, Galco, or tripple K would make a leather belt with the hook side on the inside and the loop under belt.  The Nylon belts are ugly, wear awefull, and the huge plastic belt buckles pinch my gut when seated not to mention the Tommy tactical or Batman look that I do not like.
At the end of the day when you get home you simply drop you over belt and you can relax, if the wife sends you out to the store after you are already home you do not have to spend 10 miniutes gearing up, going with out or carrying something in a pocket.  Just the belt and a keeper or two and you are out the door.  Find a wooden hanger in the closet, works well for the rig. 

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »
You really got me thinking about a belt now. I'm kinda thinking about maybe a ranger type belt that would be a little wider than my jeans belt but not so wide that I couldn't use the belt keepers you mention.
The ranger type overlaps at the ends with a keeper of it's own to hold the inside end in place. My experience with those types of belts on my mexican loop holsters,(although wider), is very comfortable when riding over the top of my jeans belt buckle. The right width might be about the same as in the pic I posted or a tad smaller.
I wear my gun belts on top of my jeans belt so the ranger type makes it comfortable when one buckle is on top of another. I mostly wear the western trophy type buckles. They are flat. I'm kinda hung up on the ranger type cause that's what I know has worked for me. I may have to expand my horizons though. I may be a bit of a show off or something because I like shiny stuff. I can almost see a nice,(inexpensive), silver ranger buckle set on a new gun belt.   ;D
There is a guy here in town that does nice leather work. I may have to give him a call and throw some ideas around. Shouldn't be too costly since it will be plain, without tooling, to match my holster and speedloader pouch.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 09:43:38 AM »
Saddle bum,
You may want to reverse your thinking.
Small single small buckle for your jeans and the trophy buckle on the pistol belt.
My Bianchi wide belt has snaps that would allow me to change the buckle and have.
heck you can have two over rigs one brown to go with brown boots and one black to go with black boots or dress shoes.  the black will have a black holster and the brown with a brown holster to blend in.  With everyone used to seeing a cell phone holster on peoples hips no one thinks gun any more if a  square bulge prints breifly.
The large flashy buckle will draw peoples eye away from your hip and the fact that your belt is not in the belt loops of your jeans.
the keepers are simply a strip of leather with a snap or two.  you put them under your belt and snap them over the pistol belt to keep the pistol belt in place.

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 10:29:22 AM »
I will give that some thought! Thanks!

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »
Bianchi Cyclone , carry strong side or cross draw . Carry a redhawk in one . Also a Galco DAO is a nice one . The DSO can be had in Camo . I have used bouh and both are good .

I had a Cyclone for a M-657 Classic Hunter with 6.5''bbl. The crossdraw feature is why I bought it. It was a nice holster and gun outfit.
Yet another one of those kick yourself for selling it deals.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 11:32:21 AM »
The Tripple K holster in the picture has the cross draw feature to it.
I find the cross draw handy when hunting ut it tsticks way out on me for CCW.
May be the over sized stocks.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 12:19:06 PM »
The gunbelt is actually the most comfortable carry available. When it is worn over a pants belt it blends in and is not as noticable as a second belt.
It also allows a higher carry, which, IMO, is more comfortable and easily concealable.
Dang I can't type this PM -- forgive me if I am making a lot of mistakes.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »
you  didnt mention barrel length

and i am not laughing  and
don't spread it around  i occaionally carry my
smith  629...44 mag  in  5 inch

i use a home made holster....made  out of  a white elastic  suppert of some  kind
made  3 of them  over the years
they are  my absolute  favorite holsters......except in the summer
got the last one form a woman  after haveing a baby...[not  me  her]
just sow  a triangle pocket  in side  it
i  like it  over a t-shirt better...then another shirt over  it
on  cold days i have been  known  to wear it  with out my gun in it
i have worn  it with just a tank top shirt  in public
it  holds the gun as tight to your body as you want to pull the velcro
its  like a  10 inch  belly band holster
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 12:49:41 PM »
you  didnt mention barrel length

and i am not laughing  and
don't spread it around  i occaionally carry my
smith  629...44 mag  in  5 inch

i use a home made holster....made  out of  a white elastic  suppert of some  kind
made  3 of them  over the years
they are  my absolute  favorite holsters......except in the summer
got the last one form a woman  after haveing a baby...[not  me  her]
just sow  a triangle pocket  in side  it
i  like it  over a t-shirt better...then another shirt over  it
on  cold days i have been  known  to wear it  with out my gun in it
i have worn  it with just a tank top shirt  in public
it  holds the gun as tight to your body as you want to pull the velcro
its  like a  10 inch  belly band holster
In other posts William posted pictures of a 4" M 28.
Just like mine in the holster but his has different grips.
Sorry for answering for you Mr William.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 03:15:44 AM »
What are we talking about?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 04:54:14 AM »
I forgot!   :-\