Author Topic: Flextone game-calls, opinions on these and deer calls in general please  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Squib

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
I bought the one that wal-mart had which incidentally, and sadly, had the face of our good buddy michael waddell (bone collector) and it seems like a good call, BUT it's the first I've ever actually owned and used much.  It sounds good to me but I haven't been able to use it IN THE WOODS yet.  Just curious about what you all use and whether or not you think that a multi-call is good or if I should carry two or three dedicated calls for different purposes.  Feel free to ramble, I will....

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Flextone game-calls, opinions on these and deer calls in general please
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 04:15:51 AM »
Every so often, I fall for a deer call, and or deer urine. Since 1959 I have taken close to 100 bucks, and numerous does, mostly in New York, and now sucessfully in NC. At no time can I attribute a deer response to a call or urine.
The buck I shot this year, crossed a scent trail of urine, again with no response.. He was in rut out cruising! For the 99th time I swore to myself never again..... Who knows! I have tooted on deer calls, and I've only felt silly.
I attribute whatever success I've had, to being in the woods as much as I can during the rut.. I also try to understand how the deer move on my property. There is snow in NC... I will better understand how the deer move close to the season ending, because of this snow!
Michael Waddell? As an old press and media guy, I wonder just how much he realizes, his over exposure is? I have no interest in "putting the smackdown", on a game animal!   

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 02:29:52 AM »
I got a Flextone last year after I lost my Primos grunt because the Flextone was cheaper and I lose one or two a year and didn't want to spent $10-15 for another. I can't tell any difference in the sound or tone of the grunt and the deer didn't care either. I grunt in several deer every year that I know for a fact came in to the grunt, either because I watched them change their course in response to the grunt, or because they came in "looking" for the deer they heard.
  Another call I won't be without it an bleat can, just like the grunt in that some deer ignore it, but I have had far too many come in to it to not have one, and a lot of times they literally come running in.

Offline Squib

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 12:18:04 PM »
what "bleat can"?  a particular brand, and bleat not bawl?

in previous years I've been able to draw them right up to me pre-dawn but after sun-up (when I can actually shoot) it doesn't work anymore.  I think that my vocal calls aren't good enough to draw them in without getting them particularly suspicious... and spotting me.  I got that flextone sounding authentic to me (but who knows how it gets interpreted by a deer?)... at least it doesn't sound like a snoring gorilla (like my hand and voice version).

I'm not horribly concerned about rutting bucks either, if I can get a good one fine, but if not then no big deal... does get shot and cook up fine too.  If you have a method that works great for you to get does and fawns inside of 50yds then by all means share it so I can go actually fill all my doe tags for once in my life.

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 06:03:28 AM »
The Primos "Can", it's an estrus bleat, but have had great success anytime of the season, but especially deadly during pre-rut and  rut

Offline Squib

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 07:12:35 AM »
thanks fastchicken, I'll check it out