Author Topic: Trail boss 22 Hornet loads?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Trail boss 22 Hornet loads?
« on: January 10, 2011, 07:05:01 PM »
I just looked on the Hodgen web sight for 22 Hornet Trail boss loads and found none listed for a Hornet. Does any one shoot TB in their hornet? With so many houses popping up around us I really don't want to shoot much just because someone will freak out. But thought if there was a Trail Boss load for the hornet it may be quieter than a standard 22. I tried the .223 loaded w Trail boss and it was still pretty loud. It didn't CRACK very loud but the bang was louder than I expected. I may try some heavier bullets sometime in the summer just to see how it goes but the 55 gr was kind of loud. Thanks thejanitor

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Trail boss 22 Hornet loads?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 12:01:47 AM »

Offline Gohon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:24:34 AM »
I'm in the process of working up such a load now.  Have two batches loaded for testing if the weather ever clears up.  Using the RD 50 grain cast the first batch is 1.5 grains and the second is 2.5 grains.  I don't normally hunt squirrels with the Hornet but it would be nice to have a a few 22 LR level loads in the pocket when out hunting other critters.  Another poster on another site said 2.7 grains of trail boss behind a 45 grain cast worked great in his rifle.   

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 04:45:25 AM »
The way to load Trail Boss, in anything-according to Hogdon, is fill up the case & seat the bullet, but don't compress it because this destroys accuracy. I have found that in most chamberings this still makes a supersonic load, not the real sharp crack, somewhat like a muzzleloader.

In order to make a subsonic load you have to cut way back on the powder, & then we have to be concerned about the bullet clearing the barrel.

I know what you mean  about the neighbors, but I'm going to keep shooting. I feel the less we shoot, the less they"ll expect us to shoot. I'm trying to come up with a "tube" or a "booth" that will knock down the sound, but we still have to deal with the sonic crack. - Good Shooting - Jim
Jim

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Thanks for all the input! thejanitor

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:50:36 AM »
The way to load Trail Boss, in anything-according to Hogdon, is fill up the case & seat the bullet, but don't compress it because this destroys accuracy.

That is wrong!...

The case is to be filled to the BASE OF THE SEATED BULLET.  Then 70% of that weight is the starting charge.  The maximum charge is to the base of the bullet and NO COMPRESSION...

See link below...

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Good-luck...BCB

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:13:09 PM »
Sorry, I thought I said "no compression". There is a lot more detailed data on Trail Boss in the 2010 Hogdon Annual Manual & that is where the loading method I mentioned is described. The reason for "no compression" is Hogdon claims it adversly affects accuracy. The pressures generated with TB are extremly low & the basis for this loading method. For instance, using the method, I load my 30-06 with 20.7 grs of TB with NO signs of pressure, almost nonexistant recoil, noise equal to a muzzle loader, & good accuracy out to 125yds. I can get 1.7 grains more than the book max because that rifle has a very long throat.

But the janitor wants lighter loads, possably in the subsonic range to hold down the noise, so hopefully some more shooters experienced in that realm will respond. - Jim
Jim