Author Topic: Recoil pad for shorter LOP?  (Read 536 times)

Offline Sierra Sherpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Recoil pad for shorter LOP?
« on: January 12, 2011, 12:11:22 PM »
My .45-70 Handi's LOP is too long for me.  Instead of cutting the stock or buying a shorter one from H&R I was wondering if anyone could recommend a replacement pad that would drop about a half-inch off the current length. 

I checked the FAQs and saw the threads and even liked the brass plate idea, but I'm not too handy with a butter knife much less a band saw!  Some of the posts were a bit old and the link to the Brownell offering still didn't have an image even though it was dated 2007 and said that an image was coming soon.    :D  Thanks for your help.

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
Re: Recoil pad for shorter LOP?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 12:59:13 PM »
I would cut it off!  If you have a buddy with a compound miter saw it only takes a few minutes to cut, redrill and re-attach the recoil pad.  I did a quick g**gle search using butt plate and did see a few interesting options, nothing handi specific though.
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 01:11:32 PM »
The thin H&R butt plates are about .250"-.375" thick, that would be the simplest solution for a wood stock, a synthetic stock is a bit more complicated, all pads/plates on wood stocks are fitted, so plan on making some changes to get a perfect fit.

Tim

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=8330&catid=3626
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:32:14 PM »
You can always buy a youth stock and add a slip-on recoil pad to make it 1" longer. Unbolt the old stock and bolt on the new one, no surgery required.

A regular H&R stock LOP is 14.25", a youth stock is 11.75".

So a Limbsaver slip-on would make a youth stock about 12.75" LOP.

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 02:13:22 AM »
Grind to fit pads from the "major players" are available in lengths from 1/4" on up.  I personally prefer the Pachmayr's, though only because I've been installing them since 1973, and that's what I know. 
Limbsaver makes pre-fit pads for a variety of the more popular makes/models, but I don't know off the top of my head if they make one for the Handi.  Maybe something would cross, but I haven't seen a reference that would say, other than on the packaging.
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »
Take off your pad and carry it with you to the next gun show (or make a cereal box template). There is always somebody with a box of buttplates and pads to find something 'close'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Sierra Sherpa

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 01:55:52 PM »
Thanks for all the good ideas and link.  My buddy said I should just get on a rack and he'd stretch my arms out longer.  I like your suggestions better, although a rack would probably help out my aching back.   ;D