Author Topic: Tried a new trick for my 45LC  (Read 1257 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Tried a new trick for my 45LC
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
I was loading up some rounds for my Tracker 45lc the other night and relized that I was out of 300g swc bullets , at this point I said to myself -- You have some 305g cast rnfp's for the 45/70 don't you --- Granted these are sized .459 and the colt needs .452  ???

I grabbed one and off to the Lyman 450 I went , stuck in the .452 die and sized away , it worked like a champ  ;D , and to make things better , the 45/70 bullets were just a bit shorter ( .030 ) than the 300's that I had been shooting in the colt already .

The reason that helped is that the Tracker 's are known for having short cylinders to start with and any little bit of COL that can be saved is a plus , also the new sized 45/70's weighed right in at 300.4g .

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Tried a new trick for my 45LC
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:41:59 AM »
Sizeing the bullets down that much, were you able to lube them with the Lyman. The reason I ask, I bought a Lee non-Tumble lube mold in 45 colt, and with bringing them down to .452. There was not enough lube rings to hold the lube. I ended up tumble lubing them. I sold the mold and bought a Lyman mold, deeper, larger bands. It just seem excessive .459 to .452

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 04:51:14 AM »
I know you are discussing 45LC stuff, but I size the Lyman 287346 (0.286") down to 0.278" and shoot it in a 270 Wichester...

That is sizing down of around 0.008" inch.  I still have lube in the grooves when I use a Lube-O-Matic...

Ain't sure about the 45LC situation though...

Good-luck...BCB

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »
Hornady

These were some Comm. cast that I had gotten at the gun show awhile back, they have a very deep lube groove and were lubed with some of Veral's Magic Blue ( great stuff ) so I didn't have to try lubing them in the Lyman .

I did pull the lube form one just to see how deep the lube was , from what I'm seeing , there should not be a problem if I need to use un-lubed bullets of this style in the furture though .

On a side note - .458 to .452 means that your only taking .003 from any given point , and thats not much .  ;)

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:15:40 PM »
I tried that on some I had cast in Lyman moulds and while they worked I just didn't feel like there was enough lube in the shallow grooves it left and I also got some wiping of lead into the grooves as well. Over all my experiment was not a success. I don't recall which mould the bullets came from but clearly not all will work but some can.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »
Not questioning what you did, as I said I had bought the Lee mold, and I have the Lyman 450 lube / sizer, I never checked the as cast diameter of the dropped bullets with my alloy mix, I knew they needed to be sized to .452 for my Black hawk.
The Lyman mold I replaced the Lee with works fine, same (alloy mix) Lyman mold has larger deeper grooves, the Lees Lube grooves were just to small for the 450 after sizeing.
Now you have me wondering what the Lee was Dropping Bullets at. wish I would have checked them before I sold the mold.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 12:17:37 AM »
20 years back there wasnt the selection of heavys there is now and we routinely did just that. I had some very accurate loads sizing down 4570 bullets. I dont fool with it much anymore as ive got enough heavy bullet molds but it does work. ive also fooled with making 10mm bullets out of 41 bullets and that too works. Another one was sizing down 512 bullets for the linebaugh to fit the smith 500 and beowolf.
blue lives matter

Offline Steve E

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
I have recently sized some Cast Performance 300gr bullets for the 45-70 down to .454 for use in my 45 Colt rifle that worked like a charm and have proved to be some of the most accurate bullets so far. I have noticed after about 20 rounds there is just a tiny bit of lead smears near the muzzle of the barrel which is no problem.

Steve E.........
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »
I have recently sized some Cast Performance 300gr bullets for the 45-70 down to .454 for use in my 45 Colt rifle that worked like a charm and have proved to be some of the most accurate bullets so far. I have noticed after about 20 rounds there is just a tiny bit of lead smears near the muzzle of the barrel which is no problem.

Steve E.........

Are those bevel base, plain base or gascheck design boolits?...

Thanks...BCB

Offline Steve E

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 11:26:29 AM »
Plain base. After thinking about it they might not have been Cast Performance boolits but I'm thinking they were.
I do sound cornfused don't I.

Steve E...........
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 11:35:11 AM »
Plain base. After thinking about it they might not have been Cast Performance boolits but I'm thinking they were.
I do sound cornfused don't I.

Steve E...........

Well, with so many varieties of boolits these days--Who Knows?...

I was just curious as I was wondering whether the majority of commercially cast boolits are bevel base or not...

Many of the ones I purchased years ago before I started melting lead myself were bevel base design...

Thanks...BCB