Author Topic: "Cancer Cannon Shoot"  (Read 6698 times)

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: "Cancer Cannon Shoot"
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2011, 06:54:32 AM »
Bringing it back on topic, I plan on going to this, just need to clean out the back of the truck
and am waiting on cannon to arrive....  ;D I have a little bronze swivel gun on it's way just like
one I had years ago..... I just don't know if I will have time to sleeve it or not.

Like I told Lance this is a proactive attitude towards cancer,  I want to send a few rounds down range for him
and in memory or my Carol.

Allen, i would be honored if you set your guns up next to mine ;D
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline lance

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
Got chemo thursday, treatment 9 of 12, not looking forward to chemo, i do like the nurses though!
So far, 1 friend from work said he was going to show up at the Cancer Cannon Shoot, with a chance a few others might join him. My sister said she was coming to the shoot, and she also has a printer and can print out the cancer targets. I'm just wondering how many nurses i can get to come to this shoot, something to think about anyway!

Offline lance

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2011, 01:35:46 PM »
Well, had chemo today, 3 more treatments to go through. The doctor said he might show up at the Cancer Cannon Shoot, if he can sneak away..........i think he wants to try out the Ballonabwehrkanone. Y'all don't hold your breath for the chance any nurses will come to this shoot. I have noticed Cat Whisperer has been absent from this topic, he must be spending less time on the computer and more time in the shop working on his cannon. I know Tim (CW) likes cat stories, so this is for Tim.
   "Tom, surnamed the ripper, from the manner which he slaughters our enemies the rats and mice, is admired for his gravity and sobriety, as well as his strict attention to the pursuits of his race"- General Lee writing to his daughter of his admiration for one of the family cats.        That might spur Tim on to get that cannon done ;D

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »
I'm just here looking at what you are bringing to the shoot this weekend, swivel gun and flintlocks are welcome ;D

Lance,

On the my swivel gun thread you posted this..... did you move the date up? or is it still Feb. 5?
I'm not going to be ready for this weekend........
:o
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline lance

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2011, 08:04:21 AM »
I'm just here looking at what you are bringing to the shoot this weekend, swivel gun and flintlocks are welcome ;D

Lance,

On the my swivel gun thread you posted this..... did you move the date up? or is it still Feb. 5?
I'm not going to be ready for this weekend........
:o
That's my fault just a misprint..........yes the date is Feburary 5th, 12 noon to 2pm or 3 pm.
 And yes, swivel guns and flintlocks are very welcome here at the Cancer Cannon Shoot.
 It's going to be interesting to see who all, and how many show up. :)

Offline lance

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2011, 06:32:03 AM »
Cancer Sucks! chemo ain't no fun! i got to do something...........i'm going out to the shop and try and make a few sabot rounds for my model of the 1870 ballonabwehrkanone. Not sure how many rounds i'll need for this shoot, but, if all goes well i'll post a picture this evening of what i got done.

Offline lance

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »
 I'm tired!!! and i took lot's of breaks too! anyway, here's a picture of the sabot rounds i made today for the Ballonabwehrkanone. Should be more than enough, i'll probably fire 4 or 5 rounds, my sister fired one last year and that was enough for her. So the rest will be for whoever shows up.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2011, 01:59:47 PM »
Perhaps we should notify the FAA to establish a no-fly zone for a few hours that day to warn passing derigibles.   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline lance

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2011, 02:29:58 PM »
Perhaps we should notify the FAA to establish a no-fly zone for a few hours that day to warn passing derigibles.   ;D
I think the Dirigibles will be safe, besides, it's not tourist season, so you probably won't see any Dirigibles ;D
I'll do what i did last year, tie 30 balloons together in a cluster, and then we can pick them off with the Ballonabwehrkanone.
Whatever is left in the air, you can use your 10 gauge.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2011, 04:57:37 PM »
OK, no derigibles; but I have seen on many occasions the Goodyear Blimp - flying along I-81,m traveling between games.  Once it got fogged in and hoovered/circled above a large parking lot in Wytheville for 20 minutes.

If the double 10ga is ok, we'll bring it.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline lance

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2011, 08:13:29 AM »
You can bring your 10ga.............Like i say, i think the Dirigibles will be safe, but if anybody is riding in a SPAHKORB, they might have to winch the cable up a bit ;D

Offline lance

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
Note to KARBAR2 and Cat Whisperer, the 5th will be here before you know it..............get those cannons done and ready to fire. Whoever of you two posts a picture first of their ready to go cannon will win a free can of Goex black powder, you have to show up to claim the prize ;)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »
Real life sometimes intervenes.  I'll be there with the 10ga double.  Not a chance to get any cannon in firable condition.  Mortars, yes.  We can make confetti of cancer cell prints with mortars - yes?

Yes, one has to show up to participate!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline lance

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2011, 06:32:41 AM »
What a Bummer! come on Tim..............you've been moderator for what 10 years? will you ever get a cannon done? :)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2011, 07:22:03 AM »
What a Bummer! come on Tim..............you've been moderator for what 10 years? will you ever get a cannon done? :)

3 dozen or more mortars have gotten in the way.

Yes, SOMEDAY I'll finish up a cannon (bigger than firecracker bore).

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline lance

« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2011, 03:07:39 PM »

3 dozen or more mortars have gotten in the way.

Yes, SOMEDAY I'll finish up a cannon (bigger than firecracker bore).
Admit it Tim.......you don't like cannons ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2011, 03:19:35 PM »
On the contrary, Lance, some of my best friends are loose cannons!   ;D

It has been more practical to build mortars.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2011, 06:27:30 PM »
Got to work constructing the prototypes for the projectiles I'll be using. I've decided this shoot will be all canister and grapeshot...

On the left is the standard canister load for the Napoleon, 27 balls. In this case they are 000 buckshot pellets of .350 caliber. I think I said elsewhere that they were .330, that was just my faulty memory.

Total actual weight of 27 randomly selected 000 buckshot pellets was 1636.7 grains.

On the right is a 9-ball grapeshot load. I had planned to use 12, but in reality the .490 round balls weighed a little more than the weight given by the round ball caculator. Enough so that the weight exceeded my limit (the weight of a single 1.125 round lead ball) once the wooden base wad was added. Not by much, but better safe than sorry. Backing off to nine also put the weight fairly even with the canister load, so I should expect roughly the same POA and recoil level.

Besides, nine fitty-cal up all in yo grill gon' mess ya up some!

Total actual weight of nine randomly selected .490 round lead balls was 1597.2 grains.

Loose, dry grits was used as a filler and the 'can' was made using the same mandrel and process as the tubes I use for my powder charges. Two layers of Reynolds Wrap Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil. End folded and hammered tight.

Some of you may remember, I'd tried building canister using cut up soda cans. But that was a miserable failure and was terminated after just a couple of shots. The soda can aluminum was just too thick and stiff for this scale, and wouldn't break open properly. The fact that the filler was impregnated with wax didn't help matters either. They looked great, though, and the remaining three canisters will be used for display.

The aluminum foil isn't so pretty but should open up much easier.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2011, 06:43:54 PM »
Now I just need to make more! :) :D ;D

I need to mention also that I may not be able to shoot with everybody else. Stuff has come up that may interfere with the 5th.

If I can't shoot Saturday as planned, I'll either shoot early (Thursday or Friday) or late (Sunday) but I will be shooting and posting the AAR.

There will be smoke, fire, the rending of paper and the wailing of dying cancer cells...

Offline lance

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2011, 07:17:02 AM »

I need to mention also that I may not be able to shoot with everybody else. Stuff has come up that may interfere with the 5th.

If I can't shoot Saturday as planned, I'll either shoot early (Thursday or Friday) or late (Sunday) but I will be shooting and posting the AAR.

There will be smoke, fire, the rending of paper and the wailing of dying cancer cells...
Great Job!!! Terry C., i enjoyed reading your last two posts ;D
Whenever you can shoot will be great, i'm going to shoot on the 5th, it's already planned for that day. Been watching the weather on several different channels, and it looks decent for a shoot. I'm not too worried about the weather, and if i'm still alive on the 5th, i'm shooting on the 5th ;D Now i have to finish making cannister rounds for the 1" Dahlgren, your's are much nicer looking than mine!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2011, 07:38:52 AM »
You'd best still be alive on the 5th!   ;)

If not, I'll never speak to you again!   ;D

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline lance

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2011, 02:41:23 PM »
You'd best still be alive on the 5th!   ;)

If not, I'll never speak to you again!   ;D
Well, i'll do my best to be alive on the 5th, i might even feel good enough to joke around a bit ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
I'll be there, rain or shine!

As DD knows, I have shot the big mortar in a torrential downpour!  (had to sponge out the accumulated water inside the tube before the next shot)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »
I'll be there, rain or shine!

As DD knows, I have shot the big mortar in a torrential downpour!  (had to sponge out the accumulated water inside the tube before the next shot)

Yes, this is true Tim did try to drown me...but the joke was on him, to this Oregon boy a rain is like an application of skin lotion...but we did get wet   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2011, 12:53:46 AM »
It was something we both took in stride - military training/experience - the battle isn't postponed because it isn't a sunny day.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2011, 06:48:52 AM »
OH boy.  Sure wish this cancer shoot was much closer to the great snowy State of Colorado.  I'd love to be back East to help obliterate those dang cancer cell targets and I'd certainly have a big smile while doing it.  Lance, we are kinda in the same boat with the big C.  A positive attitude does go a LONG way in these battles - I know!!  After reading these posts, I'm am very enthused about also making up some grape shot loads for my little SBR 1-inch Dahlgren for when the weather warms up a bit.  Perhaps I'll make up my own cancer cell target from the actual slides from my prostate cancer biopsy.  If that does materialize, I WILL post a picture or two of the riddled (I hope) target..
Good luck at the shoot and I hope all who attend this meet/shoot will have great weather and enjoy the entire day.  I'll be there in spirit anyhow.  "Keep your powder dry".
Blaster (Bob way out in Colorado)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline lance

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2011, 07:00:02 AM »
Thanks Blaster, i don't know how many will show up, but i'll have plenty of targets to shoot at.
Tell ya what, i'll put a cannister round in a target just for you!  :)

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »

Great Job!!! Terry C., i enjoyed reading your last two posts ;D
Whenever you can shoot will be great, i'm going to shoot on the 5th, it's already planned for that day. Been watching the weather on several different channels, and it looks decent for a shoot. I'm not too worried about the weather, and if i'm still alive on the 5th, i'm shooting on the 5th ;D Now i have to finish making cannister rounds for the 1" Dahlgren, your's are much nicer looking than mine!

Thanks!

I already had six of the wooden bases made, left over from the last canister experiment. Since it failed, I never used them until now. Need to make up a few more before shooting, I'd like to have at least five of each. And I'd like some to keep for future projects. Setup takes longer than the actual cutting, so it won't be a big deal to make up a dozen or so (should have enough dowel left for that).

Right now I just have three of each, but they're made and ready to shoot...

I have these copper couplings that are perfect for transport and protection of the fragile finished projectiles. A strip of tape across each end should hold them in until I'm ready to load, then I can just 'punch' them out into the bore.

Offline lance

« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2011, 02:11:24 PM »
Terry C. those are just too cool!!!  i might be making too many but i should finish up with 25 or 30 cannister rounds.
Yesterday i made a new sponge and rammer, but i don't feel like making a little water bucket, will use some kind of container.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »
I'll also bring a hand gonne (cannon on a stick).

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired