Author Topic: Who here hunt coyotes with a single shot?  (Read 4972 times)

Offline tcencore3006

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Who here hunt coyotes with a single shot?
« on: January 14, 2011, 10:49:38 AM »
Just curious who hunts coyotes with a single shot and if you have a picture or two it wouldn't hurt! 
Newest toy? Smith & Wesson 4006

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: Who here hunt coyotes with a single shot?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:01:32 AM »
I'm setting up my 223 Handi as a dedicated coyote rifle.  Before that it was my 243 Low Wall.

Why?   ???  Sumpin strange about it?   :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline tcencore3006

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
Nope. I hunt with a 22-250 Encore.  I just keep seeing all these AR's being advertised for yote huntin.  Maybe they are bad shots.  Should only take 1 shot to kill a coyote.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 02:59:45 PM »
Mine is a Ruger 1-V 22-250.
Actually its for coyotes, bobcats, crows and those pesky shotgun hulls that wander out on the shooting range.

AtlLaw - What scope are you putting on that handi? I ask because I had an NEF 223; started with a 6-24x40; looked like that thing on the side of the Flintstones' car; ended up with a 4-12x40 that seemed appropriate.

Agree with the AR comment.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
What scope are you putting on that handi?

I dunno...  :-\  The older I get the less power I use.  Shots are pretty close where I hunt anyway.  Last coyote was about 12 yards while I was sitting in my deer stand.  He was trotting away, I squeeked, he stopped, I shot, he died.   ;D  Receiver sighted M94.   ;)

I have a couple of 4x12x40's I used for load development but I'll probably use one of my 2x7's (which I like best nowadays) or a 3x9.  Come to think on it, I have a pre-Leupold Redfield 3x9x50 that I won't put on a hunting rifle...   :-\  Or maybe either my 4x or 6x El Paso Weaver...  :-\  :-\  Then again I have a few el cheapo scopes that came on used rifles I bought laying around...  :-\  :-\  :-\

Darn PP!   >:(  Why'd you ask me that!?  Now I won't sleep tonight trying to decide!   :'(  I hate being senile... or is it anal...  ???  I can't remember.   :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline bigbird09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »
handi in .223 as soon as I get my FOID back.  Tonight would have been a good night to drag out the mossy and try my luck, but I don't like going out without being legal.  Also debating whether to bed the forend or just leave it as is.  I just put a couple rubber washer in an attempt to float the forend but it still hits so idk,  may try to get some shooting in sometime and see what happens.

edit:
PS lol.  Most people that I know that shoot with AR style rifles is for the off chance that they get doubles or trips will on a stand, not necessarily because they are bad shots.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 04:34:30 AM »
Nope. I hunt with a 22-250 Encore.  I just keep seeing all these AR's being advertised for yote huntin.  Maybe they are bad shots.  Should only take 1 shot to kill a coyote.
Please don't bash fellow shooters since the 2A is for everyone. Today's AR's can easily do 1"@100 meters. If someone wants to take their home defense/3 gun game rifle out to the field to get in some coyote eradication; then, it is only a win/win for everyone. If anyone thinks that the gun grabbers will stop with the 'evul black rifles with that thang that goes up', then they're sadly mistaken.

And to directly answer your question, I got a .223 Youth model for the 3 wheeler/tractor when back on the farm to put some 45 grain JHP loving on any wood dawg that sticks his muzzle out of the tree line.  ;)

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 04:56:47 AM »
I do not doubt that there are good coyote hunters using AR's. I would concede that there are pros using ARs that will shoot more coyotes in a week than I will in a lifetime. My concern is the guys who play dress up with ARs. They scare me at the range. Wouldn't want to be around if they "went hot" on a coyote.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 05:00:23 AM »
I DO!!

CW

Here is one with a 30-30 H&R..

I think this is the one that fell to a 22Hornet Contender Pistol..

There is three here, all fell to my bow... the origional single shot. ;)

This one fell to my 357 maxi H&R...

Here is one That fell to the 454 H&R..

This one fell to the 243 H&R..

The H&R 17HMR took these...

Come to think of it.... I don't remember EVER shooting a coyote with anything other than a single shot!!!  ;D ::) ;)

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 05:07:33 AM »
Shot three in about 15 min. with my TC encore 6.5x55 a couple of days after Christmas.  My bro walked thru a grown up 5 ac. thicket and they came out a few minutes apart.  Took the pic with a phone so its not very good.  This is probably the largest yote I have ever shot.

Offline tcencore3006

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 06:06:14 AM »
I meant no disrespect to my friends who use an AR.  I apologize if it was taken that way. 

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 06:34:32 AM »
my primarry yote gun is a h&r 22-250 but i have been known to take the ol mossburg out in thick cover..
then again for night calling it is only legal to use a shot gun or rim fire so that would include the marlin 22 mag
rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 03:14:46 AM »
Takes more than one to kill the whole pack. Lot of guys get doubles. Someone posted in Handi forum about winging one, getting a cse stuck, and not being able to finish it off for a few minutes

Offline 219DW PDK

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 06:40:11 AM »
Does it count if I'm just a coyote shooter, not a coyote hunter. My hunting consists of looking out the back windows several times a day, especially just before dark. I shot this one just before Christmas at 110 yds. with my Ruger #1 .219 DW PDK (30-30 case 1.900 long 35* shoulder). Load was 55gr NBT, 33.0gr Varget, 3625 fps. Shot this one out second floor bedroom window, shot one from fence post at about 100 yds back in early Dec. before the snow cover. That one stood watching my 4 and 5 year old grandsons and our small dog in the back yard while I got rifle out of safe and walked to the fence and shot it.  To see a pic of this rifle and cartridge go to page three of the ongoing thread "single shot rifle pictures".

I'm storeing my Ruger #3 .204 Wasp in the bedroom closet now to see if I can get a coyote with a 39gr BK or 40 V-Max at 4000 fps. This #3 was a .219 Wasp for 16 years and had 6000+ rounds fired at paper and PD's. Here is a pic of me with the #3 kneeling at the window. Since then I've been sitting on a short stool.

This is the view out the back window, That dog I shot out the window was just above the left fence post at the top of the first hill. About a week ago I saw one at about 350 yds, but never got a shot, it would never stop while in an opening in the tree limbs.

This pic is farther left, plenty of wide open space, if they would just stop for me there.

This pic is my .204 Wasp rifles. The #1 in back has 1100+ rounds with two trips to S.D. PD towns. It works so well that I decided I needed another one and ordered a 11" twist .20 cal barrel from Pac-Nor early last year for the #3.

One last pic of the #3 with the .204 Wasp cartridge.

Dave in IN

Offline 219DW PDK

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 02:50:55 PM »
Got one with my Ruger #3 .204 Wasp late this afternoon.
Glanced out the window this afternoon, saw a coyote behind neighbors barn. By the time I got upstairs and got rifle out of closet it had moved on back to where it was about 300 yds away. He was under the pine tree that is 45 degrees up and left from the Black Angus cow in the first pic. He was in a clear spot through the trees so I let fly with a 40gr V-Max out of the Ruger #3 .204 Wasp. He was still kicking so I hit him again. Turned out that there was a little more left to right wind than I allowed for.

As you can see from the blood trail it wasn't a bang-flop, he made about 30 feet down the bank onto the frozen pond. Not the bullets fault, just bad hits on my part. Nice fur like the last one and a little larger.

Dave in IN

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 08:10:05 PM »
When I go out I carry three guns.  A Handi Ultra in .223, for Coyotes and Foxes.  A handi 30-06, for single Wolves at a distance.  A ruger Mini-14, for a pack of Wolves up close, and out to 400yards.  The reason for the Auto, is to take out the entire pack.  Usually five to nine animals.  I also carry a TCR in .338 Win Mag during the Fall Moose/Grizzly season.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline tcencore3006

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 01:14:48 AM »
When I go out I carry three guns.  A Handi Ultra in .223, for Coyotes and Foxes.  A handi 30-06, for single Wolves at a distance.  A ruger Mini-14, for a pack of Wolves up close, and out to 400yards.  The reason for the Auto, is to take out the entire pack.  Usually five to nine animals.  I also carry a TCR in .338 Win Mag during the Fall Moose/Grizzly season.

Where are you located Sourdough that you are taking on a pack of wolves?

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 03:23:33 AM »
He's up in interior Alaska.  Lucky dog!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 04:36:48 AM »
If I am set shooting I can use my highwall in .219DW, otherwise  I use my Savage bolt action in .243. I have a NEF in .243 with the 22 inch bull barrel but would only use it for about a 50 yard shot or less due to never knowing where my bullet will go. :(
GuzziJohn

Offline OB One

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 05:29:05 AM »
I take my Baikal combination rifle shotgun 30-06 over a 12 ga.  Use 55 grain 223 bullets in a 30-06 sabot or Hornady 110 grain, both bullets are Vmax.  #4 Buck in the 12 ga.  Have a kicks choke in the 12 ga that patterns well out to 50 yds.  So I'm all set, use the 12 ga for up close and the 30-06 to reach out and touch em.  It's a single shot anyway you look at it.  Goin this afternoon. Wish me luck.
OB
Retired Navy Chief. Predator hunter in training.

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 05:19:19 PM »
OB One,
How accurate are the sabots for you? Do you load them yourself?
I have thought about trying them but never got to it yet.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 05:37:27 PM »
[/img] just a shade over 200 yds 223 handi in one ear out the other no hide damage.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline tcencore3006

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 01:30:51 AM »
Nice Shot Torpedoman!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 02:14:34 AM »
[/img] just a shade over 200 yds 223 handi in one ear out the other no hide damage.

Ahh the infamous "ear" shot!!!  GOOD shooting!!! 

That's a fun one on rabbits!! Call an "ear" shoot, then kill the rabbit and collect on the call!!  Fun times!
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 04:00:40 AM »
Well, I did hunt with a couple of single shots, a Ruger #1 in 22-250 and a heavy barreled G2 Contender in 223. Right now I'm not hunting or doing much of anything except browsing the internet, reading, and watching a little TV. I am right handed and just had rotator cuff surgery on the right shoulder which took care of doing a lot of things. I just started going to the torture chamber (therapy) this week. I'll be back out after coyotes this fall and the rifle I carry will depend on how wild the dogs are. I would prefer the Contender as it's much lighter than the #1. It's open country and the hunting pressure high so it depends on how close they will come in. I'll start with the Contender and if that won't reach I'll switch to the Ruger. Sometimes I can find a few prairie dogs to shoot at but they are always long shots because they are shot at a lot also.

Offline michstew

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 10:36:16 AM »
I do. Just gotta get some more bullits !!  Thar's a bunch back in where I live, Manistee National Forest.  michstew

Offline OB One

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 06:28:37 AM »
OB One,
How accurate are the sabots for you? Do you load them yourself?
I have thought about trying them but never got to it yet.
FM

I reload my own.  The best accuracy I can get with them is about an inch and a half at 100 yards. 
I guess you could call that, a coyote MOA. 
Thats much better than the store bought accelerators.

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »
Thanks OB One,
I have shot a few accelerators with mixed results. The 30-30 were better than the 06. That kind of figures
because the 06 is what I want to use. Your accuracy would be very satisfying in most of my guns. Do you
have a source for the sabots? Should I just do an online search to find them?
FM

Offline OB One

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 03:32:14 AM »
Thanks OB One,
I have shot a few accelerators with mixed results. The 30-30 were better than the 06. That kind of figures
because the 06 is what I want to use. Your accuracy would be very satisfying in most of my guns. Do you
have a source for the sabots? Should I just do an online search to find them?
FM

I get my .224 sabots for the 30-06 reloads from E Arthur Brown Co.  http://www.eabco.com/reload02.html
Good luck
OB

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 07:13:12 PM »
Thanks OB one,
I will be moving to coyote country in a couple of months and will stock
up before the move.
FM