Author Topic: Hog Hunting Handi?  (Read 6794 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Hog Hunting Handi?
« on: January 14, 2011, 03:30:07 PM »
My Brother-in-law invited me on a hog hunt and I want to take one of the Handis, but which one should get the nod. These hogs are quite large in the 200lb. on up range and I'm looking at either the .357 max. with 187gr. cast bullets, 45-70 with 405gr. Rem. SP bullets or the .500 S+W using 440gr. cast bullets. What would be your pick? The photo below shows an average sized hog!
Don

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: Hog Hunting Handi?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 03:34:06 PM »
will you be elevated or standing on the ground ??
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »
will you be elevated or standing on the ground ??

On the ground as far as I know.
Don

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »
Can't never go wrong with 405 grainer in a 45-70 Handi. ;)

Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 03:49:11 PM »
I waiting for gendoc's next question to be "can you outrun your brother in law?"
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 03:50:29 PM »
do you have a back-up large caliber sidearm?
them hawgs kan't be trusted even with a hole as big as your fist thru them...
if your using a single-shot... get off the ground.

45/70 would be my pick in that situation.
sea-ya.....

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

Offline gendoc

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 03:53:44 PM »
hey pow-pow.... good answer !!!!!!!!! ;)
thats the closest you'll come to root'n devils  :o
sea-ya.....

Offline gendoc

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »
big blue, i also wish you good luck with your hunt.
please be careful. i hunt them things year round and you never can estimate there actions.
just think of them as a 30mph razor blade.

and one most important rule... never get between a sow and her lil'ones !!!
sea-ya.....

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 04:30:35 PM »
Where in the heck are you that, that hog is an average one? I myself would pick the caliber that shoots best for you. All are adequate.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 02:23:10 AM »
 I worked on a hog farm when I was a kid. The farmer had a 3' piece of hickory he used on charging sows. I seen him drop one that refused to go in a ferring crate. She went to the butcher that afternoon ;D

I say use what you are best with also. I would hate to take one I had the slightest question over. Good luck and bring back some picts.

Lonny

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 02:49:55 AM »
I too would go with the .45-70.  I'd rather be overgunned than undergunned.  A while back I was called upon by a neighbor to dump a 800 - 900 pound rampageing domestic boar.  One .45-70 Hornady LE in the head and it was over instantly.  The 405 gr. should do the job well.  I'm running mine at 1950 fps......perhaps even too fast.

Have a good hunt.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 03:09:46 AM »
If you have a revolver chambered in one of your 3 calibers then take that handi and the wheel gun.  IF you don't have a wheel gun, then tell the wife you need to go to Cabelas and get a 500 S&W revolver. ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 04:53:14 AM »
500, if its reliable.
And a backup, but dont count on getting to it in a charge after your first shot, better to have a partner.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 11:23:24 AM »
I would choose the 500 first if a good load wasn't found the 45-70 would be second close choice.

I have shot my share of hogs. My preference is to do so with a pistol. But I shot a brace of them with my H&R shorty 12Ga a bunch of years back. I mentioned there was a story in the "HOGS PICS" post in hog hunting forums.

My wife was just getting started hunting and I thought a canned hunt would be a good place for her to gain some experience hunting game. I found a place in upstate NY that was set up so your party was the ONLY hunting party hunting. That’s one thing I didn’t like about most canned hunting places, too many yahoos shooting in all directions. Heck I feel safer on public land on opening day... at least those guys went thru a hunters safety course!!  LOL  Anyhow, boars where the target and momma was the shooter. I took my H&R and a handful of slugs just as a back up to have something with me. As it turned out the weekend was very cold with sleet and snow all week end. Momma only went out for half a day.
 A couple of the guys where friends of friends and at dinner Saturday night we got to know each other over beers. Well weather it was a story or not I’ll never now. But they had a couple big, ornery boars that charged hunter all the time. They where enough of a problem that they avoided the thick swamp where they liked to stay. Not that Sunday... We walked thru the thick stuff hollering to the pigs so we wouldn’t get too close. My wife and my buddies wife where back at came laughing at us as they could just hear us across the valley. Anyhow, I had that H&R and Rem slugger slugs, three of them. We didn’t get far when the guide stopped me with a hand on my shoulder and pointed over my shoulder to a tuft of grass saying there is “Bart”. (Yes, they even named these two troubled Bruisers.) Well I couldn’t see him, the guide wouldn’t make one more step closer. This swampy area was more like lo lands or wet lands with nothing but slash, some logs and tree stumps everywhere. Only small trees standing, but LOTS of them. Nothing bigger than 2” diameter, so there was nothing to climb up to avoid the charge. I made about 3-4 steps when Bart stood up and snorted, staring straight at me defiantly. He then began a charge. He closed to about 20 yards and jumped a log at about 10 yards I put a 1 ¼ oz slug thru his skull. He skidded to a halt at less then ten yards. I looked around and My buddy and I was standing there alone! Both guides where running in the opposite direction. I turned to look at my friend when the second pig jumped from the “bed”. He looked really mad.. Instantly charged, but stopped about twenty yards out. I could have shot, but you $$ for what you kill and my friend was gonna shoot this one. The pig turned to leave, went about ten yards and looked back at us. As if to say, “You still there!?!?” Spun and again charged… My buddy hollering no shot, no shot, me hollering I have shot, I have a shot. Then him “Ill pay” BOOM… I killed the second pig as he jumped his fallen companion with a second 1 ¼ oz Remington slugger thru his cranium. They lay there like cord wood steaming as the guides returned. Lots of back slapping and hand shaking. I had killed the problem boars that chased hunters most of that season. These guys thought I was the best, calmest, coolest headed man they ever met. At the time I wore a white straw cowboy hat and was a might larger then I am today. ;) They all wanted to see that little gun…

Here is the pigs and then the shorty.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 11:37:36 AM »
Ive been thinkin' I might want to go after pig; still do, even after that GREAT tale.
Thanx for makin' my day!
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 11:44:08 AM »
Ive been thinkin' I might want to go after pig; still do, even after that GREAT tail.
Thanx for makin' my day!

Its a TON of fun, I highly recommend it, especially if you go with some good friends. To me, the company makes the trip more than the destination.

I also know of a place in northern Vermont. Much nicer amenities, but no walking around allowed. But EXCELLENT service and food!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 11:53:06 AM »
Good story CW.  Guess them fellers just never met a Handi man! ;D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 11:58:26 AM »
I'll probably get yelled at for this but I have not found the factory Remington 405 grain bullet to be good on penetration on tough animals. Any of the calibers you list with a quality hard cast bullet like the LBT will be better choices.

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 12:14:30 PM »
I've killed 2 using 405 gr bullet in my 45/70. It will work- complete pass through.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 05:39:52 PM »
"Ill Pay!" BOOM!..."  LOL, that's just so freakin' funny! Great story.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 01:10:17 AM »
Great story CW, and I love the battle scars on that Handi in the last picture!

If you don't have battle scars on your Handi you're not using it enough! ;D
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 01:33:39 AM »
I will say this about hog hunting!

You need a rifle that will do the job, and in a single shot you are better off with more than enough gun and big heavy bullets.

Also a backup sidearm is a good idea also with the single shot, and it's how I roll when walking around in the thick cover and hog infested creek bottom I often hunt in.

I've only been charged by one wild animal in my lifetime, and it was a big sow I had shot at with my 30-30 Winchester while walking around one spring morning a few years ago.  This was before I got into the Handi Rifles.    I only had three rounds in the Winchester after I made a snap shot at her moving at forty yards and didn't realize she had a bunch of little one's with her, at least not until after the first shot.   She wheeled around and headed right at me, and finally I dropped her about 10 yards from me with the last round in the rifle, so with a single shot rifle and no back up you had better make sure you're first shot counts, or you're wearing your running shoes, which I didn't have on, and I'm too old to run so I'm usually prepared now to make a stand.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 02:30:54 AM »
i hadta use my colt 1911cm couple times, not all for second shots but for on tha jump!!!!
when there snooze'n solo... you jus bout can step on them !!!! wen they been waller'n in tha slop wif leaves an mud all ova them, can't smell'um... no cus they smell jus lika tha swamp mud yor standn in.
you gotta take a spare pair of under drawers wif you..........
i have had to use tha 1911 before to put down a charger wen walk'n to my ladder stand.
and i've climbed a few trees befor too.
sea-ya.....

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 02:48:17 AM »
45 70      "Don't leave home without it"
                 My first and only choice.
                                                           Jim   <")))><

Offline surehuntsalot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 03:38:49 AM »
use to hunt them all the time down here in the swamps of Ms. with a 58cal caplock muzzleloader,now it's a 45-70 Handi

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 09:37:18 AM »
Would love to use my 50 Alaskan Handi with 435 or 500 gr LBT, but backed up by my Ruger Redhawk loaded with some potent 44Mag rounds.  There appear to be a couple of good places down to the south of us in TN.  Assuming these would end up being <100 yd encounters - 500 S&W shorty with some stout loads would be good too.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 10:23:44 AM »
I've wanted to take my .45-70 Handi hog hunting, but here in Florida the hogs all have some diease or other?  How do you handle that aspect?

gendoc,  What load do you use in your 1911?

Cat

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 01:31:33 PM »
Saw a TV show about feral hog/feral hog hybrids in FL, TX and HI.  Man - it looks like they are literally taking over some neighborhoods - tearing up lawns and gardens and terrorizing people and small pets...what a mess.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 01:44:56 PM »
I have a final solution........
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline gendoc

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 02:11:54 PM »

gendoc,  What load do you use in your 1911?

Cat

hey cat, howya been ??

my +p acp load is....

200gr hornady xtp
10gr alliant power pistol
1513fps
1021fpe

max chamber pressure... but itsa cm... they made not ta puke ;)

only hunting pistol i own thats notta ruger !!! cus itsa autoloader fer them hawgs
wheelguns are kool, but 1 second cud meen ya life. can't run cus ya cud be butt up in mud  :o
sea-ya.....