Author Topic: Hog Hunting Handi?  (Read 6800 times)

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: Hog Hunting Handi?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 02:20:22 PM »
Saw a TV show about feral hog/feral hog hybrids in FL, TX and HI.  Man - it looks like they are literally taking over some neighborhoods - tearing up lawns and gardens and terrorizing people and small pets...what a mess.

yeah !!! i'd likta seen one them fellas stick a nife in a real 100% non-drugged PO'd hawg !!!!
ya really thank that a boar gunna stand ther and let 2 dogs hold him down by tha ears !!!
i know bettern that BS.... its tv.
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 02:24:25 PM »
Doc,

45 ACP is 21,000
+P 45 ACP is 23,000
45 Super is 28,000

200 grain HP/XTP factory ammo 45 Super is 1,300 FPS

I would tell you that you is shootin' a 460 Rowland load outa ur 1911 but I am sure you know dat! 

Ole' Arnold Zieffel ain't never gonna no what hit em. 8)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Shu

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »
45 70 is the only way to go and if your hunt turns into a rodeo maybe a change of skivvies.

Great story CW. That is one heck of a good looking 12 guage.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2011, 02:34:07 PM »
22644.... to be exact, piezo tran.... childs play !!!! look what its come'n out of  ;)

oooop's

yep bb your right.....i got it mixed wif my data from tha boy's custom long barrel
the cm is much less, i think its roun 1000fps and roun 700fpe
my bad !!!
sea-ya.....

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2011, 02:41:52 PM »
I'll probably get yelled at for this but I have not found the factory Remington 405 grain bullet to be good on penetration on tough animals. Any of the calibers you list with a quality hard cast bullet like the LBT will be better choices.

No yelling, but I have to say I've found the 405 Rem. bullets from the 45/70 to do a surprisingly good job on some tough game. I load them a bit hotter than the factory loading, about 1650 FPS. I dropped a Bison in it's tracks with one shot using that load. The two experienced Guides that were with me said they had never seen a bison get knocked off it's hooves or go down that quick. I had heavy 460gr cast loads with me, but chose to use the 405s.
Don 

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »
Doc,

Thanks for the edit, I was goin' nuts tryin' to figure out how 8.3 grn of power pistol was at 952 FPS and 10.0 grains was 1500+FPS?!?! :P

BB

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 02:53:16 PM »
well ta tell ya tha truth... i jus got wound up on them tv shows bout them hawg's !!!
i hope no fella goes out an tries ta stick one them critters. he's gunna hava awful nite....
sea-ya.....

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 02:59:10 PM »
Doc,

I saw the same show.  They let 3 dogs loose with a light on the hog.  The dogs went to the hog and the hog never moved or really never even tried to fight back.  Kinda like most of the whitetail huntin' shows on TV, you never get to see the 8' high chain link fence. ::)

BB

Offline gendoc

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 03:09:15 PM »
i'd likta see that gal turn loose that great dane look'n hound on sumtha hawgs roun here !!!
he'd look like hesa been thru a meat grinder. real quick like....
sea-ya.....

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »
Gendoc? I have done it on a 200 lb boar. He wasn't drugged and 2 dogs held him fine. I'd do it again, kinda an adrenalin rush. Like my old drill Sergent said in basic, there is nothing more enjoyable than the feeling you get from sticking a knife in something. He was 100% correct.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 04:46:15 PM »
I've hunted hogs at least 3 day's a week for the last12 yrs.,and yes a large catch dog (usually a pit bull ) can hold a 300 pd. boar if he grabs the nose of the boar.I've caught and tied up hogs myself with a friends dogs.Wild hogs around here,are afraid of man if they've been wild for 5 gerations or more.I've took there wk. old babies from them from there nest and one was about a 400 pd. sow.
I've shot them with every known Handi caliber,and its rare they drop on the spot unless they are neck shot behind the ear.I've shot alot of them with a 300 Wby.,blow heart,lungs out a 5" exit hole and they just keep on running like nothing was wrong until they fall over.(about 80 yds.) I've only had 1 charge me,and she was shot with the 300 gr. Win. 45 70 load,but she could'nt make it up the bank with her right shoulder busted,so she turned and ran another 50 yds.from me. I've never dropped 1 in its tracks with a 45 70 (4 shot,all died) The most that dropped in there tracks were shot with a 308 loaded with 125 bt's and a Saiga rifle.
It seems like they could'nt move,after they were hit and they just squeelled until they died.
I've only killed somewhere in the range of 150 to 300 wild hogs over the yrs.,some were 30 pds. but most were from 150 to 600 pds.    Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 09:52:13 AM »
Lot of people don't think a couple of dogs will hold a large hog where a person can just walk up and stick a knife into it, but you have to understand that hog is pretty much spent after the chase and the fight, so it doesn't have to be in a pen in order to use that method.

Personally I wouldn't do it because I'm not into that type of hunting (dogs) and prefer long range snipping, spot and stalk, or just walking up on the critters while in the brush, but when they are green, they can wreck havoc if you get between them and where they want to go.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »
hey, yall do it the best way ya like....
i'll jus stick to my 45/70 and 1911 off tha ground !!!
i got to make my last years count for all my grand yung'uns ;)
these rrr's ( russian red razors) round here won't run from ya... there not
prone ta folks. and i've seen manya dog die from a gouge.these hawgs don't share pasture land wif cattle or other critters. they stays in there own world. and when you invade them...
they can and will make a stand.
maybe its jus becus they not use ta humans and there dogs.  you spook one... and its not run'n
from ya......no!!   its come'n at ya real quick like.

i can see jimbo's point of wo-out !!! makes sence..... these are fresh and ready to fight anything that riles them.

like i said... yall get'um your way.... and i'll do it my way. ;)
sea-ya.....

Offline Shu

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2011, 01:25:43 PM »
I haven't hunted hogs but I think CW's hunt would have been mighty fun. Almost a rodeo in itself.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2011, 05:21:27 PM »
Been fine doc, how'r you doing?

I agree with the .45 acp backup.  Mine's a S&W Performance Center Shorty .45 that I dearly love.

And up off the ground sounds good to this old man!  My knees don't think much of running.  I've raised hogs as a lad and I'll tell ya it's pretty amazing to see a 300 pound sow jump a three foot fence and come after you!  I jumped the five foot I was standing next to like it was hardly there.  She couldn't.  But she made it real clear that she thought poorly of my not standing & discussing things with her.  She had some things to say!

Cat

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2011, 01:56:12 AM »
45 70 is the only way to go and if your hunt turns into a rodeo maybe a change of skivvies.

Great story CW. That is one heck of a good looking 12 gauge.

It was a hoot!!  Good times with better friends always equals great memories!

It was sleeting/raining otherwise we would have had video footage of the whole thing!!  To this day, it still kills me that its not on video...

I have shot a couple deer with my 45's one with a 1911 and two or three more with my Marlin Carbine. The deer with the carbine where shot with Remington and Federal +p 185 gr ammo and where DRT shots to the base of the neck at close range. The 1911 was with a Fed 230 Hydro shok bullet at about 7-10 yards broadside just above the heart. This deer went quite a distance and needed a second shot but I get him. I have shot two or three with my 300Gr 45 COLT  black hawk loads as well. Never an issue. I would not attempt it with the 45 ACP unless its all I had and I had no other choice...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2011, 03:36:37 AM »
I've hunted hogs with knife, bow and gun. I never felt under armed or in any danger from the hogs in any of the cases. No need for a backup to a single shot rifle. Heck my daughter has shot several with a bow. Even at 12 she never thought she needed a backup weapon.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2011, 03:51:13 AM »
Im thinkin' that about the time I might realize I needed a backup would be when I dont have one?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2011, 04:39:30 AM »
I don't always use a backup even now, and I guess it's because you tend to rely on your own confidence that you know your marksmanship skills and feel confident enough to deal with any situation should it arise, but I think it's more of an age and physical issue, at least in my case.

I try to carry my pistol at all times if I know I'll be out and on foot with the hogs, and the times I haven't has been when I took a short walk that I wasn't really planning on which is the time you will more than likely be caught off guard.

I've been in the middle of thirty or forty of them and it only takes one to ruin your day and I can't move as fast as I once did, and those hogs could care less if there is an old man standing between them and where they want to go.

Like mentioned above, "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!"
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2011, 01:41:17 PM »
cw,

The problem with the ACP isn't the cartridge, it's the bullet used.  Would you shoot a hog with a 260 grain Keith at 900 fps out of your .45 Colt Ruger?  Isn't hard to get that speed from a good .45 auto.  Even my 3 3/4 inch Shorty 45 will do, though I wouldn't put a lot of them through it, it would be a bit hard on it.  I use that slug at just about 800 fps for my carry load out of it.

Cat

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2011, 02:26:03 PM »
CW,
The problem with the ACP isn't the cartridge, it's the bullet used.  Would you shoot a hog with a 260 grain Keith at 900 fps out of your .45 Colt Ruger?  Isn't hard to get that speed from a good .45 auto.  Even my 3 3/4 inch Shorty 45 will do, though I wouldn't put a lot of them through it, it would be a bit hard on it.  I use that slug at just about 800 fps for my carry load out of it.

Cat

I (mostly)agree, but safe loadings for the ACP get you 800/850fps with a 230g and that's from a 5" barrel... NOT 900fps with a 260gr!! The 1911 is a unsupported barrel, pushing loads from one is a recipe for disaster!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love the 45ACP and the ACP will do this job, but its far from my first second or third choice. You should know, I have loaded, shot and extensively trained with the grand 45ACP in its 1911 variants. It's my first choice as a carry gun. My first choice if I could only own one hand gun. I have easily fired tens of thousands of rounds thru them. Trust me when I say, I know what they can do and what I can do with one. I have loaded and fired a couple hundred 260 HPs made form Speer trying to make a deer caliber out of one. When AMT came out with the long slide I HAD to have one!!! I thought it may make it a hunting auto for me... It too fell short. I didn't get that until Colt saw fit to bring out the Delta Elite in 10MM. Now the 10mm IS a good hunting caliber!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2011, 03:51:01 PM »
I'm not a pistolero, never cared that much for them.  To me they are a utillitarian tool, and come in mighty handy on occasion.  Having said that, I do have enough knowledge and experience to know that I was surprised when our military discarded the 45 ACP in favor of the 9mm.  As a man stopper, there is no comparison between the two.  Most large, heavy and slow bullets seem to penetrate in excess of their ballistics. 

Having said all that, if I were going to have to stop a mad hog, I want my 44 mag. Blackhawk.......

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
Yeah.  Some tough guys don't need back up for their Bowie's, but then again they're hunting Iowa durocs on concrete slats.

Offline Shu

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2011, 03:40:52 AM »
As I said I haven't hunted wild hogs, but as a kid my grandpa told me if I ever got close to his big old sows they would eat me. He said if I thought about getting in the pen with them he would whup me. Grandpa was a very big man and if he said be afraid of something there had to be a reason.

Having hunted other dangerous game, you can never have enough gun and if you don't have an exit plan your day could head south real quick. Use what you feel good about, make your shot count and be happy every time you get to go home after a hunt.

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2011, 05:08:44 AM »
hey, yall do it the best way ya like....
i'll jus stick to my 45/70 and 1911 off tha ground !!!
i got to make my last years count for all my grand yung'uns ;)
these rrr's ( russian red razors) round here won't run from ya... there not
prone ta folks. and i've seen manya dog die from a gouge.these hawgs don't share pasture land wif cattle or other critters. they stays in there own world. and when you invade them...
they can and will make a stand.
maybe its jus becus they not use ta humans and there dogs.  you spook one... and its not run'n
from ya......no!!   its come'n at ya real quick like.

i can see jimbo's point of wo-out !!! makes sence..... these are fresh and ready to fight anything that riles them.

like i said... yall get'um your way.... and i'll do it my way. ;)

Doc
I gotta agree with you. I honestly believe that I have killed big hogs that have never laid eyes on a man. And those of you who have jumped hogs and had them run away --- congrats! My experience has been at best when I spook one he stands his ground. I have killed a lot with 22 mag and 223, but by and far I prefer my auto 30-06 with 180 grainers. I pack a very reliable handgun --- whichever I grab that day --- but is generally a 38 special or 22 auto. I shoot the -06 until it is empty and then an absolute last ditch is the pistol and at that point it is feet not yards between you and the hogs and only a brain shot will protect you anyway.

The closest I ever came was a boar cut my pants leg to shreds, but I did not know what he was there til the palmettos where flying around and I felt something hit my side. I never even so him.

I recommend whatever you shoot well and accurately. Chances are you will not need a back-up, but you MAY!

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Handi Man

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2011, 07:45:42 AM »
In Georgia I have killed more hogs with my Marlin 44 mag and 240 JHP than any other gun......all dead in their tracks

Offline vincewarde

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2011, 06:48:09 PM »
My wife dropped a hog a couple of years ago with her .270 Ultra-Comp.  Did even twitch.  Dead right there.
"Preach the Gospel at all times, when absolutely necessary - use words" St Francis
<><

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 09:17:15 AM »
I use my 12ga shorty when I'm hunting them in the boat.  Remington slugs anchor them usually.  If you practice the single shot isn't too slow for follow up shots.  I've never had a hog charge.  They always go the other way.  If he does charge I believe the H&R will make a an excellent club.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2011, 01:22:09 PM »
I like to think my momma raised her youngest son to be smart enough to carry backup when around animals bigger than I am.  I grew up with animals on our farm and even the nice and "tame" ones could and sometimes did turn on ya if spooked, had young, or in the case of a couple of bulls, just went nuts.  I carry 44 mag or 45 colt most of the time I'm out and about here in Montana.  Don't matter if I'm hunting or just on a walk about, even working at the cabin one goes with me when I leave the porch.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »
I carry 44 mag or 45 colt most of the time I'm out and about here in Montana.  Don't matter if I'm hunting or just on a walk about, even working at the cabin one goes with me when I leave the porch.  DP
The S.S. handguns even go in the shower with me! LOL!! I just picked up a S.S. 5 shot Taurus in .44 mag. as a backup for hunting. It has a short 2" barrel with fixed sights and is a real handful to shoot with heavy loads, but is easy to bring to bear in a tight situation. Should make a nice companion piece to my .44 mag. Trapper though.
Don