Author Topic: Minor Range Report CR 45 LC.  (Read 627 times)

Offline diddlyv

• Trade Count: (0)
Minor Range Report CR 45 LC.
« on: January 14, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
Got the handi Rifle about a week ago.

Stopped at Sportsman's Warehouse on the way out to the range today and purchased some slightly overpriced 45 Colt Winchester Cowboy ammo.  No idea of how fast they go down range but recoils about the same as a 850 to 900 FPS 240 grain 44 mag out of a 20 in rossi 92 carbine (looked them up 750 FPS out of a pistol 187.5 PF)

Was Holding 6 Oclock on a SR21 300 to 100 reduced Hi Power NRA Target shot about 4 inch group more or less centered on the X for elevation but 6 in Right.  3 of the 5 rounds 1 inch wide  and 1 1/2 high.  I had been worried about not having enough down based on some other posts that claimed the rifle shot 6 inches high.  I had taken out the little sight insert because I found the white diamond distracting and was going to turn it around.  I discovered there was a deep u on one end and the small shallow v on the other.  From the Factory the smaller V was up.    I turned the blade around both ways so the solid black side was out and the U was up.  I slide the insert back in and as far down as possible.  I needed to slide the elevator to the 3rd notch from the top for proper elevation z(centered on the x of the target with 6 oclock hold.)  I use a 6 oclock hold because I can see that.  Hard to judge with a center hold. and a round sight bead. As an added bonus, by hiding the white diamond the sight is SASS legal without getting out the sharpie.

Like a dummy I did not take my little brass hammer and drift to the range.  Knocked them a little left when I got home slide the insert back up to where the top of it is flush with the radius on the rear sight and dropped the elevator down to the bottom.  Should be close - will verify on next range trip.  With the 13 inch sight radius it works out to about .004 per minute of elevation.

The rifle may group better with different loads will try some running about 1350 to 1400 FPS.  I also plan on starting with about a 250 grain bullet and enough pyrodex to get 1/8 inch compression seated in the crimp groove.  If that shoots good, go with it, if not will try adding pyrodex to 1/4 inch compression and lesser loads with a wad or 2.  Will test the Pyrodex and the Hotter smokeless load out to 200 yards.  Need to invest in a chronograph - Any recommendations for a decent one at or below $150

Got the gun for Plainsman's matches but it seems to shoot about minute of heart at 100, may bust Javalinas with it later on.  Any one got a good load that would do about 1000 - 1100 FPS out of a pistol or 1400 or so out of the handi?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Minor Range Report CR 45 LC.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:43:29 AM »
The vel will be boosted with a smokeless powder load but not so much with a pyrodex/black powder load. Also at those velocities you may get leading issues and if using jacketed accuracy. At least for me I have yet to find a good shooting, top velocity BP substitute load using a jacketed bullet.

These are z great little rifle, most everyone who has one loves them. Good luck with yours.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline rsl

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Minor Range Report CR 45 LC.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 10:00:08 AM »
Mine shoots about 1 1/2" group at 50 yards with Blazer 200 gr hollow points.. Those have the non-reloadable steel case. jacketed bullets.. Tried some Magtech Cowboy lead bullet and it shot 6" groups at 50.. Good luck... Fun little rifles..