Author Topic: Has Retail Gone Mad? Price of Primers...  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Has Retail Gone Mad? Price of Primers...
« on: January 15, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »
I went into a nearby Gun Shop today.  Their shelf price was $8.00 for 100 CCI #200 Large Rifle primers.

That's a WHOPPIN' - EYE POPPIN $80.00 per 1000 (plus 6% Sales Tax of course).

I WON'T be purchasing primers from their stock!

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: Has Retail Gone Mad? Price of Primers...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 02:29:22 PM »
Looks like they are still under $ 30 /1000 at Midsouth.
Just got to buy several lb of powder to make it worth the haxmat fee.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »
Ridiculous prices like that is why I feels under no obligation to give my local gun shops any of my business.

Offline PowPow

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »
We have a few quality gun shops around here, along with the regular national sporting goods retailers and a "destination" outdoor store.

Of the quality shops, one is the type you where you can leave looking like the guy in the magazine for a little less than $5000.
They can do that because they have had the latest sales training. Every Saturday they set new sales records.

The one I shop at has that scope rail, hammer spur or extra magazine you need, or will get you a LH bolt gun or funky Handi caliber for a reasonable price. They carry the most popular reloading supplies and know what COL or headspace means because they actually load themselves. The unit price on their primers are a little more than you can buy 1000 at MSS less hazmat, but you can buy 100. I buy my funky guns from them (#1's, CZ 452 LH, Benelli Montefeltro). I can go there during my lunch hour and touch stuff.  The money I spend there churns through the local economy and ends up back in my wallet. If you live near me, you probably aleady know who I am talking about. If you don't, you probably have shops in your area that fit these descriptions. 

I'm under no obligation either; MSS has some good prices, and carries certain things that my local folks don't.
So I would say I am about 50/50 local and MSS. I need both.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 05:22:13 PM »
We've a local Gander that sells Primers for $7+ a flat, I should say available for that much. The Counter guy's say it's corprate.

Local Scheels actually went down a few bucks, 1K for under 30, and that's standard for a few other mom an pop's shops around the area.
found elsewhere

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »
Thur, was at Mi-Walls (ammo manf. here locally) Win sm pistol primers $37.95 per thousand. He loads all his reloads with Win. primers so probably gets a good volume discount on them.

Gun Runner

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:44:05 AM »
Check Cabelas or Natchez or MidSouth, they are quite reasonable.

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 01:21:08 AM »
Local gun show last weekend had primers for $25.50/1000 + tax. Local mom & pop gun shop had primers for $32.00/1000 yesterday. JamesIII

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 02:52:19 AM »
I just bought 200 WLPs from a local , $ 3.50 / hundred.  Believe his price per thousand was 32 and change.  I really try to buy local , got a huge wholesale/retail supplier 40 miles down the interstate.......I can go there if I can't find what I need , but ya pay....there's no bargains to the retail buyer, with the exception of their hoilday "sales".  regards, irold

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 03:19:30 AM »
I really don't feel sorry for anyone who would opt to buy primers 100 at a time as you should be paying more for making that choice. My last purchase was in October and they were $110 per box of 5,000 CCI, so I only bought 4 boxes.  Besides, I still had plenty and this was the highest price I had ever paid.  This same vendor will be back in April and the prices have already gone down and are expected go down more between now and then.

Those who are willing to pay unbelievable prices such a $80 per thousand are just as guilty as those who would charge that much.     

Offline pmeisel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 03:27:30 AM »
Something in the low 30s per thousand is what I paid recently.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 04:41:38 AM »
cabela's last night was $32
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 05:50:11 AM »
 Southern Indiana, Bass Pro 3.48 per 100. Local shop 34.xx per 1000.

Lonny

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 06:21:27 AM »
Southern Indiana, Bass Pro 3.48 per 100. Local shop 34.xx per 1000.

Lonny

Lonny, I hope you're not paying those prices!  If you are you need to call me.

Offline 2ndtimer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »
A local Ace hardware store had the CCI primers on sale for $24.95 per thousand a couple of months ago.  I only bought 4 thousand.  Thought I should leave some for others.   ;D

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 09:45:27 AM »
I went into a nearby Gun Shop today.  Their shelf price was $8.00 for 100 CCI #200 Large Rifle primers.

That's a WHOPPIN' - EYE POPPIN $80.00 per 1000 (plus 6% Sales Tax of course).

I WON'T be purchasing primers from their stock!

My guess on this one is that he has some old stock that he got last year when the price skyrocketed and he's trying to re-coup some of his money - not from me of course , but he can try from someone else !  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »
I picked up a 1000 small rifle magnum primers today for $21.99... they're PMC but for the price I couldn't pass them up  ;D
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 06:44:17 PM »
Remember that the brand you buy has alot to do with the price. Wolf primers are Russian, and most times I see them for $20-$22/1000. American made primers are usually $29 to $35, depending on standard or magnum, or bench rest. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 02:18:43 AM »
I have 4 gun shops with in 15 miles of me, the furthest is the one I deal with, the 3 with in 5 miles started the price gouging game, there prices came down some after the panic buying, but are still well above the guy I go to exclusively. His prices have gone up to $28.00 a thousand for CCI. But during the shortage, when he could get them they remained $26.00 a thousand.
A couple months back, I needed a shell holder, I drove the extra distance, just because, I will not deal with the guys that took advantage of the shortage.

Offline ihookem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 02:41:24 PM »
The 80 bucks a thousand was in Kalifornia. Most likely some new 9,000 % sin tax or something. 

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »
I doubt if there is such a thing as old stock from when the prices were higher last year.

Powder Valley sold their primers all last year for $24 per 1000.  They are still $24 per 1000.  I doubt if they sold them at a loss all last year.  They were probably paying the same wholesale price as everyone else, they just did not price gouge like many did.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 10:43:41 PM »
Heck I bought some CCI Large rifle magnums here in Dillingham AK for 5.69 a tray yesterday. They were shipped in last summer while the panic was still on, plus we have major haz mat fees to deal with. But heck, we're way at the far end of the supply line and we aren't getting hit like LO! Who knows tho when the spring barge comes in late April.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
I just paid $26 / 1000 for Federal 210's. But the place I buy my reloading stuff at is a distributor who also has over the counter sales.
Gander Mountain was getting $4.99 / 100 not that long ago. They've dropped to $3.99 / 100 the last time I looked.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 06:14:43 AM »
Powder Valley sold their primers all last year for $24 per 1000. 

I always start at Powder Valley and check others from there.
I have a buddy who lives just across the state line from them.
So when I'm getting low I give him a call and add mine to his next order.
No hazmat or shipping this way as he usually comes down to OKC about once a month.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 06:34:32 AM »
$80 per 1000 is crazy.  I would consider asking an employee there if that's a typo just to get the point across.

In my town the only source for primers that we have is Gander Mountain.  We used to have Sinclair International, but they were sold and closed the retail counter.  Now all we have is Gander and I guess it's payback for being spoiled with Sinclair's for so long.  I need to buy some winchester primers but I just can't see paying what gander has them marked at currently. 

One thing is for sure though.  I don't think prices are going to get any lower than what they are now so I intend to stock up on them.  The next time there's a big rush I'm planning on being the guy sitting on a couple extra boxes and not worrying about the panic prices of $80 a box.  I'm trying to learn my lesson from this last go around without having to repeat my mistakes.

Offline 375supermag

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 04:16:02 AM »
Hi...

A well-known distributor in Lebanon, Pa. had primers (Fed & CCI)for $28.99/1000 yesterday at their retail outlet.

Another local gunshop had them at $32.99/1000. I had never been to this shop before, but he had an awful lot of stuff in a fairly small shop...enormous amount of new and used guns of all types, plus a good selection of reloading components. He and I are destined to do a lot of business together, if he is willing to work some deals with me...he just doesn't know it yet. I prefer to deal with small, local gunshops and he seems like a nice enough guy. He shoots SASS, so he can't be too bad.

Didn't buy any primers, I have enough for the next month or so (not counting my "emergency" stash). I will be making another trip to his shop in the next week or so. I am going to buy some reloading components that I don't really need right now(cast bullets and powder) and see if I can't start to build up some type of rapport with him.

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 02:55:50 AM »
Widener's has Wolf Primers for $15/1000.....
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 06:01:43 PM »
I was just at my local reloading outlet today Fed 215 GM $33 M he had a special on Wolf primers for $16 M and CCI Mag LR or LP for $26 M Rem is still high as far as I'm concerned LRM for $34.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 04:10:03 PM »
Here in Missouri in December at a gun show I paid $25.00 a Thousand for Winchester Small Pistol Primers, and last month at a local gun, reloading shop I paid $26.00 for Winchester Large Pistol Primers. I prefer to use Winchester or Remington primers when I can get them--though I will use Federal primers in Federal brass. I have trouble seating CCI primers from time to time--don't know if it is the primers or the brass causing the problem.

cybin

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 06:30:58 PM »
Here in Missouri in December at a gun show I paid $25.00 a Thousand for Winchester Small Pistol Primers, and last month at a local gun, reloading shop I paid $26.00 for Winchester Large Pistol Primers. I prefer to use Winchester or Remington primers when I can get them--though I will use Federal primers in Federal brass. I have trouble seating CCI primers from time to time--don't know if it is the primers or the brass causing the problem.

cybin

Cybin, The brick of CCI LR primers I have are a smidge oversized in diameter compared to the RP and WW I usually use. They are more difficult to seat. I use the CCI if I want an extra loading on my target rounds if the primer pockets on my brass are getting a little sloppy. I load them with the CCI's and then toss them in the brass scrap after shooting them that last time.

Most of my primers are purchased at my local Scheels store. Prices average around $29 per thousand. I purchase propellants and bullets from that store as well.