Author Topic: Requesting some information  (Read 1337 times)

Offline DennisF

• Trade Count: (0)
Requesting some information
« on: December 26, 2002, 08:12:27 AM »
Please don't take anything I ask as an intent to flame anyone, I am just trying to find out some information for my own peace of mind.  I am going to take the CCW course in Oklahoma in the next couple of weeks and I would like to ask for any experiences from people that have encountered LEO's during a traffic stop, accident, or for any other reason while carrying.  How was the situation handled (any input from LEO's is also requested and welcomed)?  In Ok. (and I would imagine other states as well) if you are stopped by an officer while carrying, by law, your CCW permit must be handed to the officer at the same time as your driver's license.  How was the fact that you had a weapon handled, were you met with the barrel of a drawn pistol, were you and your vehicle searched, was the encounter tense or relaxed?  LEO's please wade in here with any advice on making this sort of encounter as painless as possible.  I know that you cannot speak for every officer in the field, but how did or would you handle the situation?  Again, I am not wanting stir the pot, I just want some input.  Any advice or real world experiences is appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
No problems for me...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2002, 01:37:59 PM »
Never had any problems as a CCW holder or a law enforcement officer.  Most cops I know appreciate that they can't be everywhere at once and YOU are your first line of defense.  Being polite and letting the adrenaline-charged cop know you are carrying legally makes his job easier.  Just be sure you know where you can and cannot carry in your state.
Isaiah 6:8

Offline dclark

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2002, 01:39:15 PM »
I have had a CWP in Wyoming for more than 5 yrs.  The rule in Wyo is that dispatch is supposed to notify the officer on any stop that the owner of vehicle has a CWP.  A few years ago I ask an officer that had stopped me for a headlight out if he had been notified of the CWP.  he said he had not been notified.  Most of the officers I know (which is most in this area) are unconcerned with CWP holders.

dclark

Offline cpobb

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2002, 06:22:50 AM »
Dennis, I'm a cop in upstate NY and I've said more than once around here, In ten years i've never had trouble with a person carrying legally.

It is not required in NY to tell an Officer at a traffic stop that you are in possession of a firearm, however, I think it is a good idea to mention it something like this, "Officer, just so you are aware, I have a concealed carry permit and I have a pistol on my person at this time". I certainly cannot speak for all Cops, but those that I work with would not pull you out of the car for saying this. They might ask to hang on to the gun until they are finished with you and will probably ask to see your permit. On the other hand, if you say nothing and say, for instance my partner Officer walks up on the passenger side of the car and see's your gun because the seatbelt pulled up your jacket (or something like that). My partner says "hes got a gun" and suddenly your looking at the muzzle of mine. You'll be dragged out of the car, disarmed and cuffed until we can sort out the details. THEN, I (and I can't speak for all cops...) would pick you up dust you off, explain why I did what I did, and apologize for the inconvenience.

Mentioning it right off sounds a whole lot more pleasant to me. :wink:

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2002, 04:11:02 PM »
:D Dennis.  I just retired from a lotta years as a LEO,so here in Mi., dispatch will also advise that you have a permit.  But,not all cops will call in the vehicle prior to the stop,and you dont want any surprises and either does he.  Have your hands on the wheel of your vehicle,at the 12 oclock position with yer licenses in yer hand.  Thats both of yer drivers and ccw license.  I kknow its kinda hard to do,and the movement will make the oficer a little suspicious so either keep the licenses someplace where it is easy to get to,like your front pocket inna shirt.  If you dont wanna do this,just keep yere hands on the wheel and as soon as the officer makes contact with you explain that you have a ccw and he will take it from there.  Also explaint to him what it is you are carring and where it is located.  There will not be a problem.  King 8)  8)
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline DennisF

Thanks for the information
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2002, 02:35:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I just want to make sure that I any meetings I have with the police don't turn into confrontations because of something stupid that I might do.  Much better to be safe

Dennis

Offline BigDaddyB

• Avid Poster
Reply from TX
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2002, 05:43:16 AM »
I've had my TX CHL for about 6 months now, and have had nothing but positive experiences.  I haven't been stopped for a traffic violation, but have had occasion to notify LEO's of my status (reporting a crime -- long story).  The officer thanked me for informing him, but expressed no concern and was completely casual in dealing with me.   He didn't ask what or where I was carrying.

I exchange shooting tips with the LEO's who provide security for our church, and they LOVE CHL holders.  

Having a CHL says something about you.  You've never been in any real trouble, have trained, and gone to the expense of getting the license.  In TX this tells the LEO's that there's a 99.8% chance that you're on their side.  They don't get that level of certainty with the general populus.  

...and no....everyone is not looking at you.   They can't see your piece.  Relax and go about life.

Hope this helps,
brianb

WHEREVER I GO, EVERYONE
IS A LITTLE BIT SAFER BECAUSE I AM THERE.

WHEREVER I AM, ANYONE IN NEED
HAS A FRIEND.

WHENEVER I RETURN HOME, EVERYONE
IS HAPPY I AM THERE.

"The Warrior's Creed"
Robert L. Humphrey

Offline Daveinthebush

What I did back in NY.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2003, 09:13:59 PM »
First I turned on the dome light so the officer can see into the car.
Roll the window down.
Place my hands at the 12 o'clock position on the wheel.
When the officer asked for my drivers lisence, I respond: I have a handgun located, ???, and I am telling you this for your protection.
They would ask to see the permit/gun and I have never had a hassle.

Sure is a lot better than having someone who is nervious anyways, suddenly see something that might be a gun and have him react from there. :yeah:
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor