Author Topic: nef or rossi?  (Read 2059 times)

Offline jesse d

• Trade Count: (0)
nef or rossi?
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
i realize i'm the noob here,but i am trying to decide between a new single shot.leaning towards the nef,but i do already own a rossi combo and am happy with it too.looking for opinions and why's.thanks!

Offline mjh

• Avid Poster
Re: nef or rossi?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:21:54 AM »
Buy what yea like, in a single shot I'd buy the NEF, nothing aginst the rossi other than to keep some folks in the us employed making the NEF's.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »
It would really be H&R (unless you find old stock NEF or used), NEF is long gone.......
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »
It partially depends on what you plan on using it for.  I bought mine for hunting turkey and the H&R Shotties just had a bead up front whereas my rossi has fiber optics front and rear and a scope mount.  Plus I like the manual safety on the rossi.  I know its not necessary but I still like safeties on my guns.  Doubt youicould go wrong with either though.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
Get the H&R!  ;)  NEF are no longer made,  haven't been for a few years except for the imported repeaters.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Brandtransition/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 01:47:47 PM »
I also would recommend the H&R over the Rossi....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline aflineman

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 03:41:21 PM »
Well, this is an NEF/H&R Forum. Duh! : :)

;D

Yes I do prefer the current NEF/H&R over Rossi. They seem the fell better and shoot better for me.
Have lights? Thank a Lineman!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »
If you ask the H&R forum they'll say H&R.
If you ask the Rossi forum they'll say Rossi.

I own both brands and they both work fine. Check out both brands closely and then make your choice.

Spanky

Offline OSUBucks1500

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »
if you want a great single shot go with a H&R/NEF. Couple of months ago I was in the market for a nice light single shot. I only had $100.00 to $160.00  to purchase a gun and I went to gander Mountain and they had single shot 12g and 20g Rossi's with modified chokes on sale for black friday for $100.00, or the single shot combo 20g/22LR for $159.99 I picked out a Rossi and was somewhat happy. I lucked out that day in the end because my NIC check got delayed for a couple days. The next day I went around to other shops and found one with around 10 H&R/NEF shotguns. They had a Pardner Tracker 1 in good shape for $105.00 it was a 12g smoothbore with rifle sights. It was great for deer to 100 yards, good for turkey, hog, grouse and small game. It was light, felt comfortable and was everything I was looking for in a single shot 12g. (I even like it better now then my Mossberg pump). I put it on hold and went back and tried out the rossi i wanted before. That rossi felt like junk even though it was new, it was cheap and uncomfortable as hell. The H&R/NEF are ten times a better gun than other single shots there same price. You dont have to get a Pardner Tracker 1 like I got, even a regular Pardners great it just depends on what your shooting for. I just know H&R/NEF are great guns and even pawn shops will have several of them from $69.99-129.00. At first I wanted a new gun only but the used NEF Tracker 1 was so versatile, comfortable, and good for what i needed so I bought it, and now Ive learned alot more about H&R guns and there my favorite brand for a good everyday hunting gun. If your worried about having the extra barrel, that the rossi gets you can get one at H&R's website to go with your gun from $55-95.00 depending on what barrel you want. Either way get the H&R/NEF you will enjoy it for years to come.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 05:27:02 PM »
If you can spend $55 and get a barrel from H&R you must know something the rest of us don't.

Spanky

Offline jesse d

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »
http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp
regular shotgun barrels are only 55.00

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 07:29:13 PM »
Plus the $25 fitting fee and $19 return shipping, plus tax and the cost of shipping your frame to them, that $55 barrel costs well over $100, look at the order form before you plan getting one for just $55.  A new Pardner costs about $120, and just $100 on sale here about twice a year at the local chain store.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/store/HR_Barrel_Order_Form-2.pdf
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 07:27:39 AM »
The only time I pick rossi over H&R is in 410 Rossi makes a "410" size frame. 410 is my roamin' gun and the rossi with their 20" barrel is 3.37pounds which by the way makes it recoil to much for small youngin' learning to shoot. The rossi youth combo makes for a usable light weight gun to throw on the side of a pack for just having a gun with you.I bought the 410/22 combo put a cheap scope on the 22 barrel. I bought a rossi 410 took the 28" barrel off and put it in the closet put the 20" barrel that came with the combo on it and two are now my beat around guns . If you are seriously hunting buy the H&R
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline jesse d

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 08:01:42 AM »
Plus the $25 fitting fee and $19 return shipping, plus tax and the cost of shipping your frame to them, that $55 barrel costs well over $100, look at the order form before you plan getting one for just $55.  A new Pardner costs about $120, and just $100 on sale here about twice a year at the local chain store.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/store/HR_Barrel_Order_Form-2.pdf
i had just cruised the site ,had'nt really added it up.looks like i'll get one each,410,20,12.hey,my boys can help me use them when there home.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 08:20:57 AM »
Excellent decision. And do not forget a 16 gauge and a 28 guage, two of my favorites....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 12:33:40 PM »
Have both,, like both,,
I like the added saftey (interupter) on the rossi,, but thats all it has over the H&R
I can get ANY stock for the H&R,, not so with the Rossi,, so the Rossi is what it is, not much modding to be done,,
While I buy $40.00 2nd's T-hole stocks for the H&R's,, bobbed hammers, etc,,

Go H&R
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 01:05:48 PM »
I don't like the firesights on the Rossi. They look like something to break to me. A bought one, 22 and 20 ga bbls to train the grandkids. The 20 kicks like a mule even with field loads. To my eye the Rossi is ugly as sin.

I don't have a H&R shotgun but they probably kick some too. My centerfire rifles don't hurt to shoot though.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 01:22:53 PM »
I ended up getting recoil pad equiped shotgun (no Monte Carlo rise) buttstocks off the classifieds here for my H&R 20 and 12 ga.s. Oh what a nice difference, even on the 20.
A slip-on would work for adults, but not the kids; better to get the youth stock c/w recoil pad for them.
All your choice in H&R with the Pardner or Topper lines, or mix'n match from here on the forums. I dont see that with Rossi.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline DIVR6347

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 05:21:41 AM »

don t know about the rossi but i have an sb1 in .410 thats all boxed up and being sent out tomorrow morning  to h&r repair center

because it literally shoots 12 inches high at 20yds  h&r s original fix was we will send you a taller bead for it and try that

two shooters and two different kinds of ammo later  the results are still the same   cant say its a lemon yet but the odds arent looking too good so far  >:( >:(

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 06:36:07 AM »
It isnt uncommon to bend shotgun barrels to get them to shoot where you want. Maybe it got bent before you got it?
Regardless, it will probably be fine when it comes back.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special