Author Topic: 300 winchester magnum crimp or not  (Read 2122 times)

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
300 winchester magnum crimp or not
« on: January 19, 2011, 03:19:39 AM »
tried to crimp and crushed the case. do you find a need to crimp?

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 300 winchester magnum crimp or not
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:38:53 AM »
 ;) cat, I have loaded the.300 since about 1970...have loaded rounds with 125 grain through 220 grain..so far I have never crimped a round..I use Rem. actions and usually seat the bullets just short of the rifling...hope this helps..

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 05:52:46 AM »
I don’t use any pump or semi-auto rifle, so I never crimp bottle neck cartridges.

If you feel the need to crimp, I suggest the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

yooper77

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 05:52:48 AM »
Depends....now I pretty much use a lee factory crimp...I think it helps.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:39:57 AM »
Only things that get crimped on my loadingbench are shells for my handguns and shotgun shells. Neck tension should be all ya need.

HWD

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »
Only things that get crimped on my loadingbench are shells for my handguns and shotgun shells. Neck tension should be all ya need.

HWD

Same here....

I must have 7-8 lee factory crimp dies that I no longer use I have yet to see any improvement in any loads using them.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »
I've loaded for the 300 win mag since 1981 - never crimped a round.  I think I have over 2,000 rounds thru the gun to date. But I had a friend who felt it was necessary, only used Hornady bullets with a cannelure. He might have had some older dies that didn't squeeze down his necks quite tight enough - don't know for sure. If I did start crimping I'd get the Lee Factory crimp. Use them on my 30-30, 348, 357, 41 and they work very well.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 04:14:25 AM »
tried to crimp and crushed the case. do you find a need to crimp?

NO!

If your using a Lee "Factory Crimp Die" do your self a favor, box it up, place it on the back or the top most shelf of the bench and FORGET IT THERE!!

Its a "cure" for a non existant problem. Roll and Taper crimps have worked since reloading earliest days. I have been loading since the mid 1970's. For crimping, I never seen a need for anything else.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
Have reloaded the 300win mag off and on since the late 60s or early 70s, all in Ruger #1 single shots or bolt actions and have never seen a need or had a reason to crimp.

Now, this stands to reason in the single shot, but even though there was evidence of tips being battered in the bolt actions, there was never any sign of bullet slippage.

Unless you have an over sized expander plug in your sizing die, it likely won't happen.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 02:38:51 PM »
If you crushed a case you have the seating die too low.  You need to back it out some and then screw the bullet seating stud down some to get the proper OAL.  Load and empty case in the press and lower the handle, then turn the seating die down until it touches the case mouth.  About another 1/4 turn down is probably right.  You need to have all the brass trimmed to the same length for this to work properly.  Then load a round and see if the round turns out OK.  If the bullets you are using have a cannular on them, you will probably want to turn the seating die down about a half turn so it crimps into the canular.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline smith85619

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 04:15:32 PM »
If you crushed a case you have the seating die too low.  You need to back it out some and then screw the bullet seating stud down some to get the proper OAL.  Load and empty case in the press and lower the handle, then turn the seating die down until it touches the case mouth.  About another 1/4 turn down is probably right.  You need to have all the brass trimmed to the same length for this to work properly.  Then load a round and see if the round turns out OK.  If the bullets you are using have a cannular on them, you will probably want to turn the seating die down about a half turn so it crimps into the canular.  Larry

what he said.  A crushed case is the result of improper setup of your seating die.  What is happening is you are still seating the bullet as the crimp is being applied.  Back your die out 1/4 turn or so, you don't need as much crimp as you think you do.  For bolt or single shot guns, I never crimp.
If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 04:33:45 PM »
I like to crimp if I am using a bullet that is no seated very deeply in the case or on my autos and tube fed levers.

BTW to those of you who boxed their LEE factory crimp dies PM me and I'll store em for you.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 11:00:33 AM »
If the bullets pull in the mag when you fire the rifle crimp them with a lite crimp and keep putting on more crimp untill they don`t pull. I only crimp round that have a heavy recoil and pull bullets.