Author Topic: What influences your choice of primer?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
What influences your choice of primer?
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »
For me it all started with the Clinton Era mid 90's primer shortage. At that time I had plenty of loaded ammunition especially 9mm. I purchased whatever primer the load recipe called for and just enough to load the cases I had prepped. When the crunch hit as many of you remember primers literally flew off the shelf overnight.

I had a reloading aquaintance at the time who had a son who worked for a major supplier of firearms and accessories.
One day he showed up at my residence(he used my range at times) with 2000 Remington 9 1/2 Large Rifle Magnum primers. His son had acquired a brick of these and this friend of mine shared them with me. Seeing as I for the most part had always stayed a couple of grains under max loads, I just loaded a few rounds and shot them over the chrony and was surprised that I only gained 20-25fps on some loads, while others stayed the same. In most instances nothing changed except it tightened up some of my loads accuracy wise.

I've stayed with the 9 1/2M's and mainly use R-P brass so things worked out for me. I keep some WLR's and some CCI 250's that are a tad oversized. I use the CCI 250's for cases that have a little bit of a loose primer pocket. I load them up and after shooting them toss them in the scrap brass pail.
I use WSP's for all my pistol loading as I got a great deal a while back and bought a good supply. During this last primer shortage my buddies son came up with a brick of R-P 1 1/2 small pistol primers for me. I still like and use R-P rifle primers and brass. I do though load any WW rifle brass( I don't have much) with WLR's if I can get them.

What has influenced (besides supply)  your choice of primers?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: What influences your choice of primer?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:33:43 AM »
mag vs standard depends on cartridge and powder used. As to brand i use about all of them and like to try at least 2 brands in every load i work up. Primers can make a big differnce in accuracy with the same load. Ive seen groups shrink in half just by finding the right primer.
blue lives matter

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:35:50 AM »
I use CCI200 because on day 1 of reloading the man behind the counter handed them to me and said "here, you need some primers, these are as good as any". I have stuck with them because all my loads were developed with them. The exceptions to this are one load I developed using CCI-BR2 during a shortage, and some WLRs I bought because they were a different color and accuracy did not matter.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline saddlebum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:27:47 AM »
1. For handgun loads, mag primers for slow burning powders and full cases. Standard primers for fast burning powders and light charges. I shy away from CCI because of misfires due to some of my revolvers being tuned with light springs. CCI makes the hardest cap to bust. At least they used to.

2. For rifle loads, mag primers for large capacity cases and slow powders. Standard primers for standard size cases. Manual recomendations.

3. Price.

I quit playing with different primers a long time ago. Anyone will do that goes bang every time. I find myself buying Winchester and Remington most of the time. Find a sale on CCI rifle primers and I buy them.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 02:39:29 AM »
I use CCI in my riflle rds, and whatever I can get in pistol. Right now I have a good supply of Wolf primers that I bought before the shortage. I'm not a bullseye shooter. Any primer that goes "Bang" reliably works for me.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:54:46 AM »
In my rifles I've had CCI primers fail to fire quite often, especially the large rifle loads.  I've also had CCI primers (1 bad box) used in my .223 where the cups were week and literally blew holes right through the primer cup.  I ended up using that box of primers in my 30 carbine and they worked fine.  However, since that time, I shy away from CCI for my rifles. 
I typically use Winchester primers these days.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:09:53 AM »
I use federal large rifle , I think theyre softer and go bang  easier  with the hammer guns I use <handi,encore,blr>
 had problems with the cci in them.
I do think its more weapon related than primer, the cci work well in my bolt guns but get the occasional misfire in the hammer type so I switched to federal for everything.
I dont load max loads or use ball powders  that would need mag primers, just to reduce the number of components I have to stock.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 04:52:39 AM »
what ever I can get. If aval. what ever the manual list. If not listed by brand name then Winchester except loads that I use BR-4 or BR-3 . Then there are the hard primers for military loads .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 05:53:04 AM »
Whatever I can find. Never saw a big difference in any of them anyway.
I have kind of started shying away from CCI because of the reports I've heard.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 06:21:10 AM »
Whatever I can find. Never saw a big difference in any of them anyway.

Same here, but I don't load anything anywhere near max load.  And I really like the way the PMC/Wolf are packaged and they seam to work great in the .223 and 5.7x28.

Offline shot1

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 06:36:53 AM »
I use them all. Which ever one gives me the best accuracy is the one I use. I work up loads using different primers with everything being the same.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 07:05:12 AM »
 I guess I'm a hunter and casual paper puncher from 100-300 and find I expend plenty of bullets and powder working up a single load and while switching primers for fine tuned accuracy does have merit, at this point in my loading career I'm content with my single primer results. Which is WAY better than factory stuff.
 I started loading at the peak of the shortages (hoarding) this past few years and at the start I could only get a few flats of CCI at a time localy. When I went back for more, all they had was Remington, so I bought a brick and haven't bothered trying anything else.
 They work, both large and small. The tests I've seen tend to show Rem's as flame throwers and I'm OK with that.

As an aside, I've seen this kind of thread on several forums current and archived, and the most predominate answer is a guy uses and stays with whatever primer he started with, for whatever reason. It's a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, BMW thing .
found elsewhere

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 07:52:52 AM »

I started out loading shotgun shells with a Lee Loader about 1956 and 57.  My primary primer was Remington they never failed me even when ice was building up on my jeans in freezing weather.  A friend gave me a box of Alcan primers and I had a lot of cold weather misfires with them in sub freezing temperatures.

I started using rifle reloads in 1958 and got my first full size press in 67-68.  For years my primary primer has been the CCI 200.  The CCI 200 has been dependable for igniting charges of WW785 Ball Powder of 60-grains and H4831 over 60-grains.  The CCI200 has done fine with other Ball Powders such as H414(WW760) and BL-C(2).

I can recall two misfire with my reloads; I contribute the failure on my handling of the primer and contaminating it.  I remember at the time that I should punch the primer out and start over because I was not sure or just cheap.  I was loading range loads at the time.

I bought some VIHT magnum primers on sale.  I bought a cartoon of a 1000.  I have used them in the 7MM Remington Magnum with heavy charges of H4831, H870, and AA8700.  They have never failed.  I also tested them in heavier loads for the 270 Winchester and had no problems. 

At this time I am having a hard time putting a date on the VIHT primers, meaning I cannot recall if I bought them before or after the purchase of the 7Mag.  I had never heard of the brand at that time and have not seen the primers since.  At just short of $5 a carton of 1000 my mistake was not buying more. 

Remington 9 1/2M primers have been reliable in the 7Magnum from an accuracy, and velocity standpoint.

I guess it was a year or so ago a member, and friend gave me some Winchester Large Magnum Rifle Primers.  A lot of my test with the 7 Magnum last year was done with these primers.  I was getting 3007 fps using AA8700 pushing 160-grain Speer Splitzer with the primers.  Velocity across the Chrony was consistent.

I switched to Remington 175 grain CL and the 175 grain Hornady and drop the charge.  Average velocity across the Chrony was 2841 fps and the accuracy was very good.  I have had very good luck with the 175-grain bullets in the 7Mag using all three Magnum Primers mentioned.  But I believe at the same price the WW Magnum Primer has become my Go To Magnum primer.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the need to use Magnum Primers to ignite ball powders in standard cases.  This runs counter to the fact WW sells Large Rifle and Magnum primers.  Some years back I started purchasing cartoons of WW primers label for Large Rifle or Magnum cases.  Being WW is the king of Ball Powders and the Spherical  powders sold by Hodgon most likely come from the same factory I started using the Winchester Large Rifle primers when loading WW785 and WMR ball powders in the .270 Winchester.  They have produced very good accuracy.

Every once and while I am given some old factory ammunition from Remington, Winchester, and Federal that a now deceased relative kept in a drawer for many years.  They have discolored over years from being carried during hunting season and storage.  I use them as range ammo and save the cases for reloading.  I was given a 30-30 Remington CL and it appeared the bullet had been set back slightly.  Most like from pushing it in to a rifle magazine a few times.  There were no marks on the case that made me believe it was a reload.  It miss fired, and I cocked the rifle and second and third time and it failed to fire.

This reminds me of another 30-30 miss-fire.  It was a 30-30 round and I am sure the primer was CCI.  I fired around fifty rounds that day, and I do not know the reason for the miss-fire.  After a couple of attempts I put the cartridge in a plastic bottle of water soak.  A few days later I pulled the bullet and the powder was wet as expected.  The soaking destroyed any evidence of a contaminated primer.

Was this a primer failure or a reloader failure?  I do not know but the load was very satisfactory in the accuracy department.  The included target shows 160-grain Hornady factory ammunition at the top and my 150-grain Hornady RN using CCI 200 primers.  The CCI 200 proved to be very accurate at 100 yards.  The 160-grain factory load was accurate also and the high flyer was my high hold and not an ammunition problem.   A little adjustment and the bullets were landing where I wanted them to.

I started reloading handgun ammunition at the kitchen table in 1967.  For years CCI Small Pistol primers were my Go To primers.  I have used thousands of them without fail, even using the crude Lee Loader back in the sixties.  I now have a couple large turret presses on the bench and I use a lot of CCI primers, along with WW and Federal.  The only reason I have not used Remington is that I have not found a good deal.

The majority of my shooting is combat shooting, not bulls eye shooting, but I believe accuracy is on the par with other primers I use.  Prior to becoming a LEO I loaded a lot of pistol ammunition 12 months a year.  But afterwards I was so busy and provided enough for training a qualification that I did not need to reload pistol ammo as often.  We were provided a lot of bulk reloads from a local commercial reloader and they proved to be very reliable.  The commercial loader used a lot of Winchester primers. Back when the transition from wheel guns to autoloaders happen a lot of ammunition was burned.  A lot of time was in join training with different departments and in two day session the goal was to fire a thousand rounds out of each new autoloader.  Most of the groups had bulk 2000 round cases of ammunition to fire.  One group had ammunition from an out of state bulk reloader.  Failures to fire and stove pipes were common for that lot of ammunition. 

During the recent shortage I had to dig deep into my primer supply for pistol and rifle primers.  I dug out CCI pistol and large rifle over thirty years old and the only miss fire was the one CCI 200 in the 30-30.  I do not know the cause of the miss fire.

I use CCI Small Pistol, Magnum Small Pistol, Winchester Small Pistol, and Federal Small Pistol.  I have not used Remington because I have never found a deal on them. 

My experience comes from being a deer hunter, not a competitive shooter.  After watching the competitive shooters at the club practice with their rifles, and their finite recording of each round I am sure they have their favorite “Lot” of primers, cases, bullets, and powder.

I should note that I have never had a reload fail to fire when deer hunting.  As mention before I had Alcan shotgun primers fail in sub freezing weather many years ago.  Was that a primer failure or was it sluggish firing pins.? Back in the days before Break Free we used 3-in-1 oil to lube firearms.  I can recall deer hunting in Colorado in slightly warmer conditions at -10˚ having a number of rifles freezing shut that had been lubed with 3-in-1 oil.    The point being that another event may cause a miss fire.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 08:24:20 AM »
ACCURACY. i'm not a pure paper puncher all my rifles are hunters but I do enjoy playing with and shooting a nice tite group and like reaching out to about 600yds with metal targets.

I have been loading R&P since about 1962 and have all of the reg. brands + wolf got a great buy on them $16M when they first hit the market pre bho, I pick a load and go through the full gambit of primers (i'm retired and have nothing better to do) I would have to say Fed GM and Rem. are my main two primers with Win and CCI 2nd if i'm just plinking I use the Wolf as I have a few of them.

I throw the book away when it comes to primers as I shoot both Mag and standard.

I don't hunt with my pistols and find that the primers are better then my hold so it's about what ever goes bang and most of them are what ever I have most, usually CCI WW & Fed. depends on size.

I also swore after the clinton primer years I would never be caught short again.

Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 08:45:17 AM »
I buy CCI when I can find them at a decent price. Never had a problem with them, or any of the rest come to think of it. Right now I have CCI large and small rifle, Federal small pistol and Winchester large pistol. The couple of 100 count Federals were to tide me over for a while and the Winchester's were $30.00 for 1000 at a recent gunshow. Had to have me some of that. 
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 04:37:52 AM »
ACCURACY. i'm not a pure paper puncher all my rifles are hunters but I do enjoy playing with and shooting a nice tite group and like reaching out to about 600yds with metal targets.

I have been loading R&P since about 1962 and have all of the reg. brands + wolf got a great buy on them $16M when they first hit the market pre bho, I pick a load and go through the full gambit of primers (i'm retired and have nothing better to do) I would have to say Fed GM and Rem. are my main two primers with Win and CCI 2nd if i'm just plinking I use the Wolf as I have a few of them.

I throw the book away when it comes to primers as I shoot both Mag and standard.

I don't hunt with my pistols and find that the primers are better then my hold so it's about what ever goes bang and most of them are what ever I have most, usually CCI WW & Fed. depends on size.I can concur with that. For my pistol shooting with the WSP's I couldn't tell if the primer was accurate or not short of clamping the pistol in a vice and using something to activate the trigger. With rifle I used to be able to tell just by my shooting the rifle off the bench. Now I need my son to do any real serious testing to see if component change would help group size.
As I get older, what I used to do all day, takes me all day to do. ;D

I also swore after the clinton primer years I would never be caught short again.That was an awakening for me as well. Never Again

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 04:07:25 AM »
I haven't started reloading yet , just getting  info, with books and web sights. I see there is so many variations on primers, depending on what powder is used. I will be reloading for 38 special/357mag and later 357max. A Friend will give me a box of 900+- of CCI400 small rifle primers if they will work for me. I haven't seen any load data that uses them. Has anyone used them in this ammo ? Even if they may not be the best, but will they work OK ?
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 05:21:07 AM »
hodgdon has a max load of 58.5gr/IMR-4350 with 150gr bullet @2934fps.  I worked up a good load for my custom 270WSM with 25.5" barrel using 150gr Sierra with 58gr/IMR-4350 with various primers and I'll list primer and velocity.

WLRM--------3043fps
WLR----------3050fps
rem 9.5M----3045fps
rem 9.5------3047fps
Fed 215M---3040fps
Fed 215-----3038fps
Fed 210-----3044fps
CCI 200-----3036fps

I've had pretty good luck over the years using Rem/Fed primers and I got the Win primers mainly to try in the WSM and the CCI I keep around just to play with in my fireforming AI calibers.

I was pretty lucky and have a pretty good supply of primers so shortage didn't effect me.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 05:21:39 PM »
I haven't started reloading yet , just getting  info, with books and web sights. I see there is so many variations on primers, depending on what powder is used. I will be reloading for 38 special/357mag and later 357max. A Friend will give me a box of 900+- of CCI400 small rifle primers if they will work for me. I haven't seen any load data that uses them. Has anyone used them in this ammo ? Even if they may not be the best, but will they work OK ?

I would pass on the CCI small rifle primer for now until you get a little bit more experience. If you purchase some propellant and have some brass, purchase and use the primers suggested in your load data. I use AA#2 propellant and WSP or Remington 1 1/2 for all my 9mm pistol loads and haven't had any problems. I would use any primer suggested in the data, but would be cautious with small rifle primers, especially in 38 special.

Offline kctibs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 11:24:09 PM »
What ever I see the best price on at the time. I mostly use Winchester but will use CCI, Federal and Remington. I don't see a noticeable difference in any of them. But I don't do bench rest shooting trying to acheive the smallest group possible. I buy constantly when I like the price I don't ever want to be caught short. I never have used Wolf but this week Widneners had them for $15.50 a thousand so I bought 10,000.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 06:25:42 AM »
For me, it depends on the gun/cartridge I'm loading for. For most of my pistols, it's whatever I have handy. I'm not shooting for extreme accuracy, so it doesn't matter.
Abouut the only time I fuss with primers anymore is with my varmint stuff, when I'm trying to get good groups. For my lever guns, as long as the gong gets hit at 100-200yds., I'm happy.
When I was silhouette shooting years back, with my single shot pistols, I would experiment with what works best. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 11:32:34 AM »
When I first stareted to reload most of my references listed CCI primers.  However, I decided to get into it right in the middle of the Obama ammo scare so CCI stuff wasn't available. So my first primers were from PMC and I had some problems with them. Eventually I was able to locate some CCI and they worked everytime, so I don't see the reason to change.
GH1 :) 
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 05:53:33 PM »
In my light springed 627, Federals are the only ones that ignite reliably.  I use Wolf LP in my 45s with excellent results.  I use CCI BR small rifle in my 223 target contender, but I can't say that I'm good enough for it to matter.  I've shot all others, and they all work (Federals are best for light striking piring pins).  I'd have to say that the Wolf primer is my overall favorite.  It loads easily, the primers are loaded in the box so that when emptied, the cup is up (makes it REAL nice for loading in primer tubes for progressives).
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus