Author Topic: Carry At Home?  (Read 4369 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Carry At Home?
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:50:55 PM »
My wife and I live 6 miles from town and our home is rather secluded. Our closest neighbor is about 1 mile away. My wife always gave me static for carrying while at home. You know the drill, " You're just paranoid, there's no need, why, why, why?" Well, one day a while back we were working on a vintage RV we're restoring. We decided to take a break and my wife was going to go in the house and get us a couple glasses of ice tea. She stepped out of the RV just as a strange car pulled up our driveway. The car drove just past her and stopped. A guy on the passenger side rolled down his window and I heard him ask for some guy. My wife told him we knew no such person and sorry but he had the wrong address. At that the guy opened the door and got out. I went imediately on alert! I could see him through the tinted windows of the RV and he stood there ignoring my wife and giving our house and yard a good looking over. Then he started babbling nonsense to my wife, all the while edging closer to her, and I could tell he was either drunk or high so I headed to the door of the RV. Just as I stepped into the open door the driver, who had just got out too, was stepping around the back of the car and headed towards my wife. They both froze with a shocked look on their faces when they saw me. Then they started towards me at a fast walk. That's when I pulled my jacket open and put my hand on the grip of my 9mm! They both froze again and started mumbling apologies for bothering us and then they jumped back in their car and didn't even turn around but backed back down our driveway. It was obviouse they were up to no good and had I not been there, and been armed, I've no doubt there would have been trouble! They thought my wife an easy target, and probably me as well, untill they saw that 9. Point being is that even at home one needs to be prepared. Trouble can apear at any time. And oh, by the way,  my wife no longer bugs me about carrying at home! Inside the house I have loaded weapons stashed in every room. Better safe than sorry!

Offline quasne.inc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Carry At Home?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
I agree whole heartedly.  I sold my ccw and am saving up to get one I like more.  After stories like that it makes me want to hurry up and get the new one.  I never carried around the house, but I think it is a good idea and I plan to soon.

Offline rybo

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:04:44 PM »
There's a gun on me or within very easy reach at all times. I live next to the woods and am very protective of my dog as well. I dont need a vet bill over her tangling with a groundhog or coon. Outside I am 100% packing.
Insert funny/sarcastic/philosophical/witty saying here.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »
stuff always happens when you are least expecting it.  kinda like deer hunting....the second you put your rifle down to take a leak, here comes the deer!   lol.   

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 08:49:28 AM »
When I lived in a very high crime area I carried inside my home quite often. For about two years. Right in the middle of SE Austin. About a year after I moved a kid was gunned down at a bus stop behind my old apartment. While I lived there I helped a stabbing victim so the local's knew my face. They would not dare make a try for me at work. They wouldn't make it very far. But at home I would not put it past them. Some nights I would sleep on the couch when things seemed rowdy in the area.  On the weekends I had my son I would take him to the ranch just not to expose him to the local filth roaming around. In short, if you get any suspicion that you think carrying at home is a good idea then trust that instinct. 

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 08:57:50 AM »
There's a gun on me or within very easy reach at all times. I live next to the woods and am very protective of my dog as well. I dont need a vet bill over her tangling with a groundhog or coon. Outside I am 100% packing.

DITTO
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »
why  would any one  NOT  have a gun  on them????????
just doesn't make  ANY sense  not to be armed.....EVER

maybe  your gun is just  TOO  big.....get a littler gun  if  your not armed  99% of the time

post office,  .shower ...  asleep...then its in the pocket beside the bed
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline tcencore3006

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 09:51:59 AM »
My wife has said things to me as well about guns in various corners tucked throughout the house.  I live in an area like you. Out in the middle of nowhere. My wife doesnt seem to interested about where they are and finds it a bit paranoid.  All it takes is one break in though.  I know several people who have had unwanted visitors.  I for one plan on defending my family and my stuff.
Newest toy? Smith & Wesson 4006

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 11:30:23 AM »
I too, carry 100% of the time. On my person or  within arm's reach.
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 02:26:58 PM »
I do now.  Just bought a little .380 today and plan on carrying it all the time from now on.

Offline tcencore3006

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 05:17:59 PM »
I've considered getting a .380 myself. What's the make?
Newest toy? Smith & Wesson 4006

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
When out and about I carry both a Kel Tec PF-9 and a Kel Tec P-32 as it's backup. Also a spare mag for the PF-9. Around  home I always have the P-32 on me. It is so small and light there's no reason not too.   :) I'm also shopping for a pistol grip Mossberg 500 12 ga pump for at home defense.

Offline jesse d

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 06:04:24 PM »
i also keep a firearms close when at home,and get grief from my wife also.have considered getting a small pocket 380 so i can carry "concealed "at home.strange times we live in!

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 06:54:37 PM »
Lucky for me my wife's only questions have been which firearm is where. That's my girl ;D

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 06:56:48 PM »
I know that I will be laughed at a lot, but I simply got the smallest gun I could find.  I carry it in a coin purse in my pocket.  I have it all the time that I have pants on, I never take it out.  It may not be the best thing to carry, but I am never without it, so I think that makes it good.  NAA 22 Short, if I could find something smaller I would buy it.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 07:18:48 PM »
Have them in both vehicles and different places throughout the house.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 05:14:56 AM »
Taurus PT709 Slim is usually in my pocket. Actuall right now it's next to the keyboard. FNH .40S&W goes to the woods with me and rides next to me in the truck. Etc.

Offline alacharger

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 05:21:13 AM »
I have loaded guns at strategic places in the home.  Have a 1911 on my hip 95 percent of the time.  When I don't, there's a Ruger LCP .380 in my pocket. 

The only time I'm effectively unarmed is in the shower.  Or when I (#@$@$)fly.  Which is rare. 
Approach every man with a smile on your face and homicide in your heart. 

D.A. "Jelly" Bryce

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 05:46:38 AM »
I went with the Taurus .380.  It just felt better than the ruger or the keltec in my hand.  I know there is a lot of negative things out there about taurus, but I havent been burnt yet so I chanced it again. 

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 04:40:27 PM »
SP101 357 mag. Everywhere and all the time.
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline jhm

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 02:48:43 AM »
     YES !!  nuff said.   Jim

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »
Absolutely, I carry while at home. Home invasion is no less dangerious than any other violent crime. Matter of fact, a rash of home invasion crimes are what prompted my carry permit. The more the wife listened to the local news the more interested she became in "just how exactly does that pistol work". I'm happy to say she now has her carry permit. 

Think about what could happen to you behind your own closed doors. How long to get up off the couch, move across the house to your closet to retrieve the duck gun? Now imagine yourself at 23 yrs old, wanting to get into a house and tear it up, and find somebody. The bogey man won't be making an appointment, and we all know when the phone rings you always have your pants down.

My SIG resides on my hip whenever practicable.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline jimster

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Yes.  I think there is a dent on my hip about 3:00 that has formed from something always being there.  There are a few places in the home where things are hidden in very hard to find places, but not hard to find or get at if your me.  It's just more options, in case things get crazy.
This is not something that a lot of people understand and many would think most of us are nut cases, of course most the people that visit GBO understand, but many others would not and think it's a paranoid thing.  Actually it keeps me from being paranoid, but many do not understand that.   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 10:37:39 AM »
why would one not carry ? carry is a lifestyle !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline DDZ

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »
Something else I find very valuable at home besides a carry piece is a dog that barks when someone approaches the house or pulls in the driveway. Also any sound that isn't normal, my dog alerts me with a bark. Its comforting knowing that your pet can awake you from an abnormal sound that you may not hear while asleep.
Also bad guys just plain don't like the looks or sound of a large barking dog. A dog could save you from having to use your firearm, just being a deterrent. I carry and always have a gun within reach at home, but I hope that I never have to use it on a person. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline jimster

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 12:19:52 PM »
Something else I find very valuable at home besides a carry piece is a dog that barks when someone approaches the house or pulls in the driveway. Also any sound that isn't normal, my dog alerts me with a bark. Its comforting knowing that your pet can awake you from an abnormal sound that you may not hear while asleep.

+1 on the barking dog, got two of them, and they don't even have to be big dogs, those little yappers will wake up the whole place with one little sound out of place.  Best darn alarm systems ever made.  Have a Daschund that has a fairly low bark, the rat terrier has a high pitch bark that makes me want to strangle her sometimes, but she might save my hide someday so I put up with it.  I'm a firm believer that a dog could give you the time you need to be ready.   

Offline DDZ

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 01:14:26 PM »

Best darn alarm systems ever made. 

Amen to that!
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline shot1

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »
When I have my pants on I have my Kel-tec 380 in my pocket. I also carry another larger caliber something most of the time. In the house I have weapons hidden in many places. I always say a good offense is your best defense. Pryor preparation prevents poor performance.   

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »
Also bad guys just plain don't like the looks or sound of a large barking dog. A dog could save you from having to use your firearm, just being a deterrent. I carry and always have a gun within reach at home, but I hope that I never have to use it on a person.

Yep my first line of defense is my Boxer. As I said, our house is secluded and our driveway actually comes up from the back of our house. Often we wouldn't know someone was here till they came around front. Not a comforting thought seeing as how both my wife and I are disabled and live here alone. So I also bought a wireless camera and moniter for $70. Mounted the camera in back and put the moniter where it's easily seen in our living room. Now we can see anyone coming up our driveway and get a heads up if it's someone we don't know. Hooked it up to a vcr and if someone shows up while we're gone, or asleep, we have it on tape. Works great and well worth the money. The set up also came with window decals to let would be burglars know they are under video survelience . There's also a wireless motion detecter you can get that will sound a buzzer inside your home letting you know someone is coming up your driveway. That's next on my list.

Here's my Boxer pup;

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 03:28:33 AM »
Nice looking boxer Spirithawk.

Yes.  I think there is a dent on my hip about 3:00 that has formed from something always being there.  There are a few places in the home where things are hidden in very hard to find places, but not hard to find or get at if your me.  It's just more options, in case things get crazy.
This is not something that a lot of people understand and many would think most of us are nut cases, of course most the people that visit GBO understand, but many others would not and think it's a paranoid thing.  Actually it keeps me from being paranoid, but many do not understand that.   

Me paranoid?  Why should I be paranoid?   I have a gun.  ;) 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC