Author Topic: Carry At Home?  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Carry At Home?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 08:12:22 AM »
Nice looking boxer Spirithawk.

Yes.  I think there is a dent on my hip about 3:00 that has formed from something always being there.  There are a few places in the home where things are hidden in very hard to find places, but not hard to find or get at if your me.  It's just more options, in case things get crazy.
This is not something that a lot of people understand and many would think most of us are nut cases, of course most the people that visit GBO understand, but many others would not and think it's a paranoid thing.  Actually it keeps me from being paranoid, but many do not understand that.   

Me paranoid?  Why should I be paranoid?   I have a gun.  ;)

Thanks. :) Where guns are concerned it's like I always tell people, better to have and not need than to need and not have.  ;D

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 04:39:24 AM »
I have mentioned it before but my rabbit thumps her hind leg when startled by an unusual sound. It will wake me up so I can check on things.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »
I have mentioned it before but my rabbit thumps her hind leg when startled by an unusual sound. It will wake me up so I can check on things.

Yup, Rabbits make great 'watch Dogs'.   That foot stomping behavior is the way rabbits warn each other of possible danger in the wild.   They also have exceptional hearing.   I had a 13# Flemish Giant mix that lived in the house (litter trained like a cat).  When she sensed something out of the ordinary outside she would stomp one of her big back feet on the hardwood floors so hard you swore someone was hitting the floor with a hammer.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 11:55:23 AM »
Yep, sounds like hitting a tennis racket flush to the floor. Very loud and deliberate.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »
I'll stick with my Boxer. He won't only warn me of intruders, he'll do his level best to make a meal of them!  ;D

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 03:57:35 PM »
My ex-wife used to give me crap for carrying period because we live in a low crime area. She'd tease me and everything. That changed when there was a triple murder in broad daylight at a retail store that I had just been in with my son 3 days prior to that. You never know when bad things are going to go down. She stopped making fun of me after that but I got rid of the bitch anyway a couple years later for other reasons. I carry everywhere now, even at home.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 04:32:44 PM »
I'll stick with my Boxer. He won't only warn me of intruders, he'll do his level best to make a meal of them!  ;D

I can tell you have never tangled with an attack rabbit.  :o ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »

I can tell you have never tangled with an attack rabbit.  :o ;D

Nope, and I hope I never do!  ;D

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »
Yes rabbits can have tempers. And very territorial. Even our two rotties stay out of her way. She will play with them from time to time though.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 01:31:35 AM »
Hope Clint Smith dosen't get mad with all the qoutes from him being posted  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 05:29:27 AM »
I'll tell ya all I never bothered to keep one on around the house cause we are in such a low crime area until a very good friend of mine had to kill a BG in his own bedroom in the middle of the night.
Tends to make one think

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 12:56:06 PM »
I have my sp101 nearby at home too.  I just retook my concealed class again Saturday after letting my license expire about 6 years ago.  I was shocked to find out that it's illegal to carry concealed even on your own property without a license.  The wording says "on or about your person".  The guy teaching the class said that it's technically illegal to keep a pistol in your nightstand drawer at night because it's concealed and "about your person".

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2011, 02:26:24 AM »
I have my sp101 nearby at home too.  I just retook my concealed class again Saturday after letting my license expire about 6 years ago.  I was shocked to find out that it's illegal to carry concealed even on your own property without a license.  The wording says "on or about your person".  The guy teaching the class said that it's technically illegal to keep a pistol in your nightstand drawer at night because it's concealed and "about your person".

Ian
What state has this law ? just asking

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2011, 06:14:36 AM »

Ian
What state has this law ? just asking

I'm a bit curious too. It's not that way here in Missouri..

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 10:59:34 AM »
Kentucky.  Another funny thing in the wording... It's fine to shoot someone that is "denying use of your dwelling".  This can be someone setting fire to it, tearing the side off with heavy equipment, illegally taking possession by force (no. eviction, foreclosure or any other legal means doesn't count), anything that would "deny use".  But you can only use deadly force to protect outbuildings if they are attempting to set fire to it.  If they're yanking the supports out of your barn with a chain and pickup or chainsawing the door off to get to what's inside, no dice.  You can hold them for the police, but shoot them and you go to jail.

If you are protecting your own life, you are allowed a bad judgment call.  You are allowed to use deadly force if the facts as you believe them to be would warrant the use of deadly force.  If you think someone is about to kill you and you shoot them, but afterward it turns out to be just an April fool's joke, you will most likely get a pass, at least from criminal prosecution.

However, if you are protecting someone else's life, You are only allowed to use deadly force if the facts as they actually are warrant the use of deadly force.  If you see a man and woman in the park doing the horizontal mamba and you shoot the man assuming she is being raped and it turns out not to be the case, you go to jail for negligent homicide.

If you are assaulted in an alley by an armed thug and shoot twice, one bullet striking the thug and the other going wide, only to find an innocent bystander at the other end of the alley, you go to jail for negligent homicide even though you were within your rights in shooting the thug.

just some interesting details I got from the class,
Ian

usually...

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »
Hmmm, this is one of the few times I'm actually glad I live in Missouri.  ;D

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »
Yep, it's hard for me to even imagine the "state" telling me how I can prepare to defend me and mine in my own home.  Especially when juxtaposed against our law here in Texas where I could conceivably use deadly force at night on my property to recover mere posessions that were about to be stolen (not that I would, but I have that latitude under the law).

With regard to the topic, I don't carry openly lest the neighbors think I'm a nutcase (I'm in the city).  But there is always a firearm either on my person or near at hand.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 01:33:29 AM »
HH thanks for the details , nice to know these things before traveling in the state .

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 07:02:54 AM »
We have what's called the "Peaceable Journey" law. Missouri now permits a person 21 years old to transport a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle. No conceal carry endorsement is required. Under the old law, the peaceable journey exception to the unlawful-use-of-a-weapon law permitted travelers on a continuous peaceable journey to carry a concealed weapon. The peaceable journey exception is still in the law, and may apply in circumstances where the new law does not (ie if the person carrying is less than 21).

Now, I fail to quite understand the peaceable journey law, or maybe it's most cops that do. I'm really not sure if the firearm can be loaded. I was told that the "journey" could be anything from a trip across state to a trip to your local store. Basicly any time you're driving. I really don't think cops see it that way though. I've been meaning to ask a Missouri Highway Patrol Officer to clarify it.

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2011, 12:36:10 AM »
HH thanks for the details , nice to know these things before traveling in the state .

This brings up a good point about reciprocal states.  If you plan on carrying in another state, it would be smart to research the laws there because they would most likely differ from your own.  For instance, a private business here can ban concealed weapons from their property but it is a non-criminal offense.  If you do a poor job of concealing your weapon, all they can do is ask you to leave.  If you refuse, then they can charge you with trespass. 

If that were different in your state, you could get in trouble, or at least be embarrassed and inconvenienced by just going to the store to pick up a jug of milk.

Ian

usually...

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2011, 01:14:39 AM »
Spirithawk:  Nice early warning system you have there with your Boxer.  I don't use my dogs as guard dogs, the level of barking ferocity they put up usually deters most people and they work well as a early warning system.  Do I carry at home - oh yeah.  Like you, I am in the woods and secluded and about the only thing you can do to assure your own safety is to go armed.  Have I ever had someone strange and stupid try to come in, or case my place, or make the mistake of thinking nobody was home - oh yeah and like you, some have not even bothered turning around, just backed out as fast as they could. 

My late wife was a bit like yours, always asking why, why, why, until she found out why, why, why when she found herself just about almost totally sol - then she didn't ask any more, just took it for granted I was.....

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2011, 08:03:03 AM »
Not any fun to run people off, Had a couple of times where its was had to be done. yep, I carry and have never been sorry for it.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2011, 04:07:36 PM »
A while back I also found myself glad to be carrying. A friend is building a house accross the road from mine. As I was coming out of the woods on my atv I saw two guys in a four wheel drive pickup coming down the hill off his property. They had the bed loaded with building supplies and had hit a dip in the road and some had fell out. They were in the process of putting the stuff back in. I pulled up to them and asked just what the hell they were doing. The bigger of the two said they had permission to haul off scrap. However, when I asked, they didn't know my friends name. I also pointed out that new building supplies didn't much resemble scrap! The guy got beligerant and started yelling, "I'm not a thief!" I just gave him the old, " If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a damn duck!" That's when the younger of the two swung the door of the truck open and reached inside. I drew and told him that he'd best step away from the truck, with his hands in plain sight, and they'd best both be empty. He turned kinda green but did as I said. I held them while I called the Sheriff and waited for two deputies to arive. On the phone I explained the situation and let them know I was still sitting on my atv, holding the guys at gun point, and told them what I was wearing. I didn't holster my pistol untill the deputies pulled up and then I kept my hands where the deputies could see them. The guys admitted they were stealing and both went to jail. Would I have shot the guy reaching into the truck? Had his hands come out with a weapon you can bet the farm I would have!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 03:04:01 AM »
things always happen when you least expect them to.   it is best to be prepared to respond instantly to anything. 

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2011, 01:32:56 PM »
As of late we are having a rash of people breaking in by force, or knocking to see if someone is home then forcing their way in looking for perscription drugs ie Oxycodone, Morphine and other pain killers.  The Pharmacy around the corner from where I live was robbed at gun point a week ago Saturday.  The suspect in that one was found at the Whitefish Train Depot, and believe it or not his name was Malarkey.  My wife runs a Daycare here in the home, and unfortunetly our front door is unlocked all through the day for parents that come and go either when dropping them off or picking them up.   At any rate, I carry all the time.

Offline tguil

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2011, 12:39:24 PM »
An interesting read.  I guess that I do carry at home. Never thought that much about it.   

I live on forty acres and have a constant "battle" with feral cats and other "pesty" critters...skunks, etc.  The gun of choice is a .22 Ruger Mark II. I wear it when I am outside with my golden retrievers and when I am working around the place.  I don't carry indoors.  However, the Mark II is always handy as well as a Ruger .357 Speed Six.

Although I live in a rather isolated area, I can easily see any approaching vehicles. Those that I do not see, the two goldens tell me about.

Would I use one of the handguns (or the shotgun close by) if I felt threatened?  You bet.  The sheriff is a long ways away.  Heck, when I lived in town, I had to place a 911 call for police help and it took them 18 minutes to arrive.

Tom

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2011, 02:44:17 AM »
The house is a holster !