Author Topic: Sight-in distance?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline 1894cfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Sight-in distance?
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:08:58 PM »
I've got a Winchester M70 30 Govt. 06 with a 24 inch barrel and a Lyman 57W receiver sight. What would be a good practical distance to sight it in at and with what bullet weight? I've already got a Marlin 1894c and a Win 94 30WCF for closer ranges. TIA

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
Re: Sight-in distance?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 02:51:14 PM »
200 yards is the only reasonable sight in distance for good flat shooting centerfires.  Shorter than that and you gain very little, longer than that will affect your close range accuracy.

For deer 150. 
For elk 180.
For both 180.

Offline 1894cfan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:54:44 PM »
Thanks much, dukkillr. That's what I think my Grandfather had it sighted in at. He more than likely used 180gr ammo as well, since he also used it for elk. I picked up a few boxes of Rem 220RN to check out at the range (ouch!).

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:38:22 AM »
I don't know the 30-06, but am a Win M70 fan.  IMO, there is NO REASONABLE EXCUSE to practice with or shoot bullets at North American game through rifles that deliver pain to the shoulder of the shooter.  How does that HELP your confidence and accuracy when shooting at game?  Does it really matter that the bullet got to the target 0.0123 seconds earlier?  (I made that number up).  Does it really matter that it shot 0.125 inches flatter across the distance?  It matters to your shoulder I bet.

My Lyman cast bullet catalog indicates these bullet weight choices [150; 160; 170; 173; 180; 190; 195; 200; and 210].  Chose a lighter weight bullet.  There is NOTHING WRONG with mid-range either.  These bullets will kill just as dead as heavy weight-for-caliber and you will thank yourself for not punching your shoulder all the times you went to practice.  

If you eventually develop a flinch with the heavy weights, it will be there for your other calibers too.  It's a mental as much as a physical thing and you do not want to introduce that into your shooting regime.

If you hand load, reduce the powder charge too.  A "smoking hot fast" bullet doesn't kill any better than a slower get-the-job-done and lighter recoil on the shooter bullet does.

Remember, this is posted for discussion on the GBO DEER HUNTING FORUM where those thin skinned animals require neither large diameter, extreme speed, or lazer-flat trajectory rounds.  In general, shoot anything you want, including the 460 Weatherby Magnum, et al, but it isn't necessary for N. American game. 

My $0.02 worth anyway...

Offline 1894cfan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 02:26:14 PM »
I don't know the 30-06, but am a Win M70 fan.  IMO, there is NO REASONABLE EXCUSE to practice with or shoot bullets at North American game through rifles that deliver pain to the shoulder of the shooter.  How does that HELP your confidence and accuracy when shooting at game?  Does it really matter that the bullet got to the target 0.0123 seconds earlier?  (I made that number up).  Does it really matter that it shot 0.125 inches flatter across the distance?  It matters to your shoulder I bet.

My Lyman cast bullet catalog indicates these bullet weight choices [150; 160; 170; 173; 180; 190; 195; 200; and 210].  Chose a lighter weight bullet.  There is NOTHING WRONG with mid-range either.  These bullets will kill just as dead as heavy weight-for-caliber and you will thank yourself for not punching your shoulder all the times you went to practice.  

If you eventually develop a flinch with the heavy weights, it will be there for your other calibers too.  It's a mental as much as a physical thing and you do not want to introduce that into your shooting regime.

If you hand load, reduce the powder charge too.  A "smoking hot fast" bullet doesn't kill any better than a slower get-the-job-done and lighter recoil on the shooter bullet does.

Remember, this is posted for discussion on the GBO DEER HUNTING FORUM where those thin skinned animals require neither large diameter, extreme speed, or lazer-flat trajectory rounds.  In general, shoot anything you want, including the 460 Weatherby Magnum, et al, but it isn't necessary for N. American game. 

My $0.02 worth anyway...

???

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:36:19 PM »

My $0.02 worth anyway...

???
He's telling you to practice with the lighter bullets.  Not terrible advice, but not as critical with the 30-06 as it is with say, a 300 weatherby.  He may or may not also be telling you that he thinks the 30-06 is overkill.  I wouldn't worry either way.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »
I picked up a few boxes of Rem 220RN to check out at the range (ouch!) .

If that doesn't say that you seem worried about your rounds/rifle punishing you at the range, then I missed it.

Offline 1894cfan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »

He's telling you to practice with the lighter bullets.  Not terrible advice, but not as critical with the 30-06 as it is with say, a 300 weatherby.  He may or may not also be telling you that he thinks the 30-06 is overkill.  I wouldn't worry either way.
[/quote]

Thanks, dukkillr. I'm kinda used to shooting /06's, just not with bullets as heavy as 220gr. I've played around with light bullet/reduced loads in 30WCF and .308W, so don't really need something like that in the M70 30/06.

Offline jhm

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 03:07:10 AM »
     Sight it in for 1 in. high at 100, and forget all the other stuff, if you have a good platform and the model to qualifies at that then you are good to go deer hunting.   Jim

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »
I like dukkillr's advice 200 yard zero ,but I'll add that I would then check POI at the lesser ranges and work my way out to your maximum long range .
With a little tweaking you can possibly extend your maximum point blank range. ballistic calculators like this one can help get you in the ballpark , but it is still necessary to check real world results by firing at various ranges. http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=%2fbalcalc.ascx

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline 1894cfan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
Finally made it out to the range yesterday, got it sighted in at 100yds + 1". Next time I'll raise the sights for 3" high, that ought to get me about to 200yds. Thanks for the help and suggestions.  ;D