Author Topic: Powder Choice  (Read 546 times)

Offline upstech76

• Trade Count: (8)
Powder Choice
« on: January 23, 2011, 05:00:02 AM »
Well I have been wanting to start reloading for over a year.  After lots of reading I finally dropped some cash on the equipment this weekend.  I plan to initially reload for my 30-06 and 45-70 as they yield the greatest savings.  So its time to buy powder.  I see the load data and all the different powders but how to you narrow it down?  Would you look for a powder that can be used in multiple calibers?  For example Hodgdon 4895 can be used for both of the 30-06 and 45-70  but will they be the right choice for both?  I will be reloading for hunting loads but will also be doing some general plinking with them.  Plans to are reload 150gr Remington Core-lokts for the 30-06, and 300 JHP for the 45-70.

Offline MePlat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Powder Choice
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:49:39 AM »
H4895 will be fine for both.  I would pick it.  Faster powders for the light weight bullet like the 300 gr in the 45/70 will give alittle more velocity sometimes but nothing anyone would ever shoot would be able to tell the difference.
H4895 powder is a good powder.
You Know Me.  I Don't Have a Clue

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:40:24 PM »
Another good all around powder for both the 30/06 and the 45/70 would be Hodgdon's Varget , not only does it work for these rounds but a bunch of others as well , like the 223 Rem , 308 Win , all the way up to the 50-140 Sharps .

That being said , the H4895 is much more forgiving to the new loader as far as loads go .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »
There are a number of good choices!!

Mine would be 4895 and 3031 from IMR. Read your manuals!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
4895 is good,
I do the same thing,
 reloader 15 was built for .308 winchester loads, has some good loads for 30/30 and is supposed to be the shiznit for 35 whelen.
 havent fired any  any whelen yet, cant see me at the range in 20 degree weather to do workups, when it warms up Ill take the  50 rounds in batches of 5 to do load workups with and see what I get.

Offline weber

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
3031. A must for loading 45/70 , I also have used it with good results for 06.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 08:19:12 PM »

The answer to your question really depends -----------------------

Depends on what your goals in reloading and shooting happen to be.

If it is just to go bang and have fun sending lead down range, much of the above info will make that happen.

However, if you wish to optimize your reloads and obtain the best possible loads from each of your rifles, then you have to make better choices in powders to make it happen

Even if that is not your goal, some of the powders listed, which will work in both of your listed rifles, may not work well.

For example, I have tried 3031 in my 45/70 and ran into powder compression problems way before I reached my objectives.. Neither did 4895 or Varget prove to be good choices.

You'll only know what the best rifle/powder/bullet combination is in your rifle by testing them.

If you desire top proformence in your 30/06, then you'll find slower powders then those listed to most likely be the best choices.  -- 4350, 4831, AA3100, for example.

Sit down with a number of reloading manuals, like books published by Nosler, Speer, Hornady etc. and look at their published figures for top velocities in your chosen bullet wt., and in some cases the best groups given by one of the powders.

They will list a number of powders, many times organized from the lowest to the highest velocity, so pick some of the top listed powders to start your tests.

Both of your rifles will go bang with the listed powders, but you'll come closer to the 45/70's potential with those products then the potential of your 30/06.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag