Author Topic: need advice on 243 lead bullet dies  (Read 522 times)

Offline Alan4620

• Trade Count: (4)
need advice on 243 lead bullet dies
« on: January 23, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
Has anyone out there cast for a 243? (I know dumb question)
I just bought a handi in 243 and just happened to have a dozen or so cast bullits around.
My problem might be my die set.I have and older Lyman set in the black paper box,with the seat die says PA seat die 243-244 6mm.

My problem is that it won't crimp them and if I adjust it down it just pushes the bullet deeper into the case.

I can pick up a Lee crimp die cheap enough,but any suggestion on who's brand of seat dies work best with lead bullets this small?
Never had this problem with 30 and 45 caliber rifle.
Where did I go wrong, or do I just need new dies?   

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: need advice on 243 lead bullet dies
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »
You shouldn't need to do much crimping with a single shot rifle, You'll only need a light to not at all crimp.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Alan4620

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:23:07 AM »
Have to use something to close the gap I made with the Lyman "M" die to expand the case neck.

Offline res45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:51:10 PM »
The Lyman PA meaning Precision Alignment die has a collet that slides up and down inside the die body and acts as a bullet guide.  It's designed to work with jacketed bullet of a given dia. if your cast bullet is over a half thousands larger then you will have trouble properly seating cast bullets.  I'm not aware of if the die has a crimp feature or not.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline Alan4620

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 04:40:43 PM »
This is the only Lyman die set I have so I am not too familier with them.Had it for 20 years,first 243 I bought was 1/20/11.

Since I only loaded 10 rounds to start with I ran them back through the RCBS trim die to close.
Not the recommended use of the die but all is well.

Never tried the PA die on jacketed after the failed lead run,probably work just fine on factory bullets.
I have a RCBS competition die set for the jacketed stuff,still trying to get the lead working better.

Probably end up with a RCBS or Lee die set from next gun show they are always on someone's table.  I am assuming that the PA die is the problem.Hope I am right.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 01:55:57 AM »
Try not using the M die or not letting it put a bell on the case. With gaschecked 243 bullets I just size and load, no flare and it works OK in my case. Otherwise get a set of RCBS or Redding dies and they will take the flare out.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."