Author Topic: Inexpensive AR lower receiver  (Read 3787 times)

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Inexpensive AR lower receiver
« on: January 27, 2011, 01:29:08 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with this lower?  At 120$ for a complete unit with a six position stock, it seems like it is worth a try.

http://colemantyler.com/proddetail.php?prod=PCLRC6

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Inexpensive AR lower receiver
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 11:19:02 AM »
Let us know how it works out.  Seems like I saw an alloy unit, complete with stock for about that same money. It may have been on Centerfire Systems website. I'll look and see.
Savage
Nope their price is $299.95 for a compete forged aluminum 7076 lower, with the 6 position stock. The complete M Forgery is about $625.
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 12:53:34 PM »
The Plum Crazy composite lowers have a reputation for breaking. If you want a composite lower the only ones that have worked out and stayed in one piece were the Cav Arms lowers. I have one and they are nice for composite. They are not in production right now but someone has bought them out and plans to start production again. Stay away from the Plum Crazy composite lower. If you want more info do a query over at AR15.com...good luck....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 07:16:45 AM »
I Have one on the way.  I will let you know how it works out.  At that price, I won't cry too long if it breaks.   I just went to the link, and it says that the lower has a lifetime waranty.  Now we will see if they are still around to honor that waranty if it does break. 

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 02:34:55 PM »
Did you get that plum crazy reciever in yet? If so what are your observations and thoughts about it?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 02:09:56 AM »
Just got them... finally.  The FFL dealer had played with them and told me he was impressed with the trigger and the overall weight of the lower, and I have to agree with him.  Better than some of the other stock triggers, and very light.  Almost everything is composite, including the hammer.  After reading the post from MSP, I was a little concerned about breaking the lower while installing the upper.  It was a little tight installing the upper for the front pin, and tight as well swinging the upper to lock the rear pin, but it fit well without much problems. 
I have company for a few days, so I am not sure when I will get to shoot it, but  I will let you know how it behaves at the range.

Edit:  I had trouble connecting with GBO yesterday, and since then I had time to look through the web. I found two reviews that are more extensive than anything I could ever do. 
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=488153
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=488153

Offline nfafan

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
AIM Surplus may still have their Aero Precision-made Surplus Arms lowers for $60.00 each...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SASL&name=Surplus+Arms+%26+Ammo+LOW15+Stripped+AR+Lower+Receiver&groupid=142

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 02:27:16 AM »
Just looked, it is still there.  Lower parts kits are another $60 or so.  Then the stock is another $50-60.  That is cheaper than I thought you could get one for. 
Being a cheap sob, I would still have bought the plumcrazy lower.  Of course, I still have not shot it yet.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 02:37:49 AM »
plumb crazy friearms is now called PCF and has better lowers as noted in Shotgun news vol 65 issue 2 . I have not used one and only suggest you read the article. That said you can get a lower for $65.00 a lower parts kif for $50.00 and 4 position stock for $29.00 . Why take the chance for $30.00 bucks ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline slimjlm

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »
I've got a PCF and an Aero Precision, they are both fine and work well.  Workmanship and finish on both is very good.  My PCF shows no signs of wearing out and has a good trigger too.  It has seen 200 5.56 and 2000 .22lr, where it will probably stay.  I've got plenty of aluminum guns for the .223's and I think the lightweight is better appreciated on a .22.  Mags can be tight on the PCF, especially P-mags, they all work fine but won't drop free.  They are allmost all composite, except for springs and the butstock tube, nut and plate. 

I've seen and assembled lots of the cheap lowers that were/are going around and they've all been quality items, I don't see any need to spend more than you absolutely must, and definitely go PCF if you want plastic. 

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »
WHO  MAKE A CHEAPEST AND LIGHTEST WEIGHT UPPER TO GO WITH IT!!

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 01:18:07 AM »
RGUNS.com has uppers less bolt and carrier for $275.00 its called BEST DEAL  their parkerized carrier/bolt assy is about $110.00. Its a flat top with front sight. A friend took a chance on one and it shoots 1 inch to an inch and a quater at 100 yards depending on ammo. He installed a scope and cut the front sight down.
slimjlm's statement about PCF is the same as the guy in Shotgun News reported . He used one to build a low budget AR .

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 02:49:38 PM »
Thanks for the update. Glad you like your PlumCrazy lower and I wish you continued good luck with it....<><....:)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 02:15:03 AM »
Delton has uppers complete w/ bolt , carrier , charge handle , handgaurd , forward asst and front sight for $370.00 complete at last gun show. Check online.

Offline Dang

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Profishingstore.net
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
I have a Plumcrazy lower I purchased about a month ago. I only have about 150 rds fired with it, but so far it seems to be a very good lower. It fits tight with my DPMS upper, no wobble and has functioned perfectly. The only thing I could maybe complain about is the trigger is a bit heavy, but it has no creep and is very crisp and I think when it gets broke in it will improve. I have seen much worse triggers.
If your looking to build a light weight AR I think this is the way to go. So far I am pleased with it and would buy another.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 04:25:07 AM »
I have built two alloy lowers 99 dollars each. very easy to assemble hardest part was getting the role pin in for mag release look at brownells web sight for instructions easy to follow. you will need special wrenches and brass punches for the lower assembly. i bought my upper from delton and my rock river from the factory they both fit snug no wobble can't go wrong both very accurate.make sure you buy the mags for the spacific upper from manufacturer i found out this the hard way also i bought one upper with a 20'' ss bull barrel this makes a heavy gun. i like my 16'' better. if was younger the 20'' would be fine not much differance in accuracy.have agreat week.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 06:07:49 AM »
I put a lower togather with a steel punch, screw driver , plastic hammer , channel locks with tape wrapped around end ,kitchen table some oil , needle nose plires and wrench for recoil spring tube. Wouldnt need tube wrench for A2 stock. But all those speical wrenches were laying there if I had needed one .  ;)

Offline justonemorear

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (45)
  • Contributor
  • My own twisted reality in Southern Idaho
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 02:59:48 AM »
JSE Surplus has complete uppers starting around $360
Rifle kits around $450 w/o the stripped lower, could get into a complete gun for well under $550
http://www.jsesurplus.com/
When it absolutely needs to be there, reload

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
It took long enough, but I finally got to take the Plum Crazy lower to the range to try out.  Can't really say anything bad about it.  It fired every time I pulled the trigger, no malfuntions.  I have to say I was really impressed with the trigger.  This may be the first lower that I do not change out the trigger.  Overall very good value.  I will let post it if I have any problems with it.