Author Topic: Rifled choke tubes  (Read 517 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Rifled choke tubes
« on: January 27, 2011, 03:17:51 AM »
A while back I read an article in Backwoodsman Magazine about the British making the old BP guns in LARGE calibers, smoothbore with the last few inches rifled.  It was supposed to stabilize ball amo while not disrupting shot.  Brownell's has a rifled choke tube for 20 gage which would work, and I am thinking of trying it.  Oh, that means I have to get a H&R shotgun with interchangeable tubes....

Has anyone tried this?  If so, with what results?  The rifled choke tube I mean, not getting another h&R shotgun!    ::)

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Rifled choke tubes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:45:24 AM »
I expect you are thinking of the 'Parradox' (sp?) by H&H; supposedly the 'solution' for an all rounder, shot and ball gun. Trials I have read indicated it worked, though I believe there may have been a fair amount of 'fluff' in the copy as the review was not entirely unbiased.
Go to the 'Slug Gun Forum' further down, there is quite a bit about the effectiveness, or not, of rifled choke tubes.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Re: Rifled choke tubes
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 07:06:48 AM »
Thanks gcrank1.  I guess I should have looked there before posting!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone