Author Topic: the CHL permit expedites another traffic stop  (Read 1163 times)

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
the CHL permit expedites another traffic stop
« on: January 27, 2011, 01:27:30 PM »
man I must be a cop magnet.  I look weird, drive old cars and trucks, and drive S-L-O-W, ie the speed limit. for some reason I'm getting pulled over constantly.  cutting my hair after ten years hasn't helped at all.   

so yesterday I'm headed up to the deer lease to get my pop-up and bring it home.  I'm on a two lane highway and naturally people are getting pissed off and flying around me, my 82 F100 with a 350 Rancher in the back.    I had a stretch with a nice paved shoulder so out of courtesy I pulled over to let the other people go by.  well, the vehicle immediately behind me did not pass.  so I thought, okay whatever and got back into the lane.

a few miles ahead there is a four way stop and the late model pickup is behind me. as soon as the light turns green I don't make it but maybe a hundred yards and they run up and hit the lights and siren.  unmarked, normal pickup.  so I'm  like....okay.....looks like a felony stop, but the dudes have beards, vests and heat, the partner is getting in my blind spot to take my ass out if there is a need.  so the driver walks up and I'm kinda like "uh....is there something unusual going on?" 

I told em I had my pistol on me, they took it and we stepped around and the minute the CHL came out they were letting me go, explaining I looked strange, driving slow etc.... whatever.  I paid my respects to them for what they do as LEO and I was on my way. 
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: the CHL permit expedites another traffic stop
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 02:03:50 PM »
Maybe you should carry a box of donuts with you and offer them one the next time.  :D Just tell them you drive slow because the nitro stashed in the back makes you nervous!  ;D

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 02:39:04 PM »
Pulling to a shoulder to let traffic pass maybe? Illegal here. I would stop a vehicle changing to the shoulder to let a vehicle pass. It is good they treated you right.

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:54:20 PM »
thanks Mohawk I didn't know that.  I imagine it is dangerous if someone is not paying attention.      The CHL doesn't always get me on my way instantly though.   A couple summers ago I had to stand in the ditch off of I-10 for a couple hours in the broiling sun while a trooper grilled me over and over.  I did the best I can to try to alleviate his concerns that something illegal was going on but he kept asking me the same questions over and over.  I consented to a search which many people chastised me for later.  Finally he let me get on my way.  During the search of the vehicle he had his back to me and leaning over in the vehicle which though he put me through hell makes me think he wasn't too concerned about me.
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 02:05:39 AM »
ILLEGAL---Hummmm.
Laws are not perfect. In many parts of Texas--if road conditions make it safe---it is common for folks to pull to the shoulder to let folks get on their way.
Illegal---yes. Courteous--yes. Accepted as the way we do it--yes.
This is not on an Interstate.
Laws----well---laws. Broad brush strokes.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 03:00:08 AM »
Maybe you should take the big decal of the marijuana leaves out of the back window.  ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »
Everyone violates traffic laws daily and don't even know it. A rule of thumb for traffic stops are, if you can't follow someone for a mile or two and find an offense then you need more training. Sit down and read the Tx Transportation Code sometime. It will put you to sleep but it is amazing what you will find. And each of the thousands of items you read can initiate a stop. Anyone's bumper ever entered the white line that precedes a stop light or sign? Most people do it daily. And it is illegal.  It would be hard to drive 3 blocks without an infraction, honestly.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »
Everyone violates traffic laws daily and don't even know it. A rule of thumb for traffic stops are, if you can't follow someone for a mile or two and find an offense then you need more training. Sit down and read the Tx Transportation Code sometime. It will put you to sleep but it is amazing what you will find. And each of the thousands of items you read can initiate a stop. Anyone's bumper ever entered the white line that precedes a stop light or sign? Most people do it daily. And it is illegal.  It would be hard to drive 3 blocks without an infraction, honestly.

There's more than enough laws that if an officer want's to stop you he can easily come up with an excuse. My wife and I use to be sign painters and we were in town giving a quote to a new computer store for window signs. I noticed a Highway Patrol car drive slowly by and look at my truck at least 6 times within 30 minutes time. I told my wife I'll bet I get pulled over before we leave town or shortly after though I had no idea what was up. Sure enough, just 1 mile out and here came three HP cars coming fast and they performed a felony stop. One pulled up directly behind me, one sped past and blocked the road and one stopped slightly back farther behind me also blocking the road! The excuse the officer gave me was that he saw me swerve accross the yellow line. I knew it was a lie and even asked if they normally did felony stops for such a minor offense.  He read me the riot act and practicly tore my truck apart searching it. I arrowhead hunt and had an old extremely dull knife behind the seat I used to dig arrow heads out when I'd find one still stuck partially in the dirt. You couldn't cut yourself with it no matter how hard you tried and the tip was as rounded as a quarter. He tried getting me for a concealed weapon! Luckily a HP Captain pulled up that I had done a favor for when he was searching for a neighbor that OD'd and ran off into the woods. I helped him find the guy and we used my truck as his cruiser would have gotten stuck. He also knew that we were well know and respected in the whole county . He remembered me and told the jerk giving me crap to lay off that he knew me. So what was it all about? Seems they suspected the computer store of running drugs and though I had my wife and daughter with me they thought I was involved and had a truck full. My point is that here you have 4 Highway Patrol cars involved and they still tried telling me I was swerving even after the Captain told them to leave me alone! Best to just cooperate and be polite because you are at their mercy.

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 02:28:42 AM »
I'm on a two lane highway and naturally people are getting pissed off and flying around me, my 82 F100 with a 350 Rancher in the back.    I had a stretch with a nice paved shoulder so out of courtesy I pulled over to let the other people go by.

I drive a 1953 F500 and on similar roads that have rolling hills can barely manage 10-15MPH at times in a 50MPH zone. This of course generates a big line of angry individuals behind me. Illegal or not I can see getting stopped for not pulling over... can't win  ::)