Author Topic: Anealing brass cases?????  (Read 737 times)

Offline Willyp

• Trade Count: (0)
Anealing brass cases?????
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:01:23 AM »
How do you know if you did it right????? I've read all kinds of things on this subject!!!! Too much is no good,to little is a waste of time??? How do you know what is proper? I wish i could find a sure fire way of doing it!!!!!
I know Hornady has their kit,to anneal brass,but i just can't see paying around $50 for it!
Willyp

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Anealing brass cases?????
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:35:27 AM »
This is how I do it...  (Not my video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=190rC0iTN5M&feature=related

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 03:06:27 AM »
That is the way I do mine. Disregard the statement about tipping the case into the water to temper it. Brass doesn't harden when quenched. It only work hardens and that's why it needs annealed in the first place. The quench is just to keep the heat from spreading down the case to the base as all copper alloys are excellent conductors of heat. Since it's a video I can't really tell but he may be overheating his brass. It only needs to be heated to a dull red heat to anneal.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:06:15 AM »
I use the Lee case trimmer lock stud and shell holder on an electric drill. I sit in a totally dark room and heat the neck and shoulder to a dull red and quench it in water.

In the video he is overheating the brass and since the brass is not spinning isn’t very even.

yooper77

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 04:21:32 AM »
Many will disagree with this, but IMHO the "best" way to anneal cases is with the "candle" method. You simply hold the case by the web, between your fingers, spin the neck & shoulder in a candle flame until the web gets too hot to hold, then quench. This gets the neck & shoulder as hot as it needs to be, while not overheating the web.

I neck size with a Lee Hand Press, so I can "feel" when the cases start to work harden & when they are properly softened useing this method.

Since useing this method, I have reloaded some Remington brass 19 times before case failure. They failed because the primer pockets started to get loose. I have lost some cases because of web failure, due to a "sloppy" chamber that required the cases to be full length sized too often, causing them to be overworked. But since starting to use this method, I have never lost a case due to neck or shoulder failure. Good Luck-Good Shooting- Jim  8)
Jim

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 05:04:28 PM »
The candle will  get the job done. Substituting a propane torch for the candle will get the job done a lot quicker.  ;D

I should modify my statement that I do my cases like in the video. I sit one line of cases in water and heat one side until a little red shows and quickly switch to the other side for a uniform heat. Tip that one over and go to the next.  Brass is such a good conductor that is really all that is needed for a uniform heat.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 05:56:32 PM »
 I use my leadpot to anneal. Leave the spent primer in stick the case into the molten lead hold until your fingers get warm ten drop into cold water. the primer creates an air pocket that keeps the lead from going into the brass. Works for me.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 03:22:00 AM »
 8) Some great ideas here ! Jim- Former Navy - TM1(SS)(DV)  ;D
Jim

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 04:46:01 AM »
  I watched that Youtube video of that guy heating that brass until it was past cherry red before tipping them into the water.   That is way beyond the heat needed and those cases are most likely ruined, ( my opinion ).
   Not everyone that makes a Youtube video is in anyway an expert at what they are trying to show.
  I would bet that if you would see those cases after they were clean and dry the necks would be a lite pink color not the blue/ brownish color they should be.  Just my 2 cents.
                         Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Jay HHI6818

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 07:53:59 AM »
+1  that guy heating that brass until it was past cherry red before tipping them into the water.   That is way beyond the heat needed and those cases are most likely ruined, ( my opinion ).  Plus its not heating the neck's evenly.

I have used Varmint Al's method for several years.

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Anneal

Offline Mckie Hollow

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
+1 - Way too hot & too long cooking time. I've had good luck with the old finger spin method and a propane torch.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 05:54:12 AM »
I have used Varmint Al's method for several years.

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Anneal
+1,
The trick is the totally dark room and he explains why too hot is bad, and not hot enough isn't any good.
found elsewhere