Author Topic: Sound suppressor  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Strikenmike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Sound suppressor
« on: January 30, 2011, 10:34:04 AM »
I am interested in adding something to my H&R to suppress the sound.  Are there manufacturers that can provide them?  I tried to check out Gemtech and their website was not working.  Are there any home-ground versions?  Thanks,
Tight Lines and Ten Rings

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
Re: Sound suppressor
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »
for what calibers.  Really from what I have seen there really not worth the price unless you have alot of extra $$ laying around especially on a handi,  maybe on a higher power bolt rifle.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »
They're kinda spendy and on top of that, you have to pay $200 to the feds to own one, and that's if they're legal in your state and you can actually use it like the wonderful state of Washington....NOT! ::)

Tim

http://www.silencerresearch.com/Silencerguide.pdf

http://www.westernfirearms.com/wfc/default?set=06
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Strikenmike

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »
Bigbird, it is just for my 17 HMR which I use once in awhile around the house for various varmints.  This gun seems quite loud in this setting.  I have since found a couple of commercial manufacturers, and you are right they are very pricey.  I wonder if one could put about 1/2" of threads on the outside of the barrel then fabricate something that would work, and would screw onto the outside of the barrel?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 02:10:33 PM »
It matters not whether you buy one or make it yourself, a suppressor is still a restricted device just like a machine gun and must be registered.

Tim

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#nfa-firearms

Some examples of the types of firearms that must be registered are:

* Machine guns;
    * The frames or receivers of machine guns;
    * Any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting weapons into machine guns;
    * Any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for converting a weapon into a machine gun;
    * Any combination of parts from which a machine gun can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person;
    * Silencers and any part designed and intended for fabricating a silencer;
    * Short-barreled rifles;
    * Short-barreled shotguns;
    * Destructive devices; and,
    * “Any other weapon.”

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »
Right, what Tim is saying is,   IF you make one or even have the parts to make one and don't register and pay for the license to have one or the parts,, You is in deep DoDo.

They won't ask your intent, nor listen to your desire to rid your neibhorhood of chipmonks and not bother the neibhors while doing so. You will be off to the hoosgow and under Fedral charges. It's a BIG deal.

Go through the proper channels and applications and your good, but don't try to make one,  ;)
found elsewhere

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »
IMO it wouldn't be worth it,  If you have a .22 then I would just get some subsonics, depending on the range will kill coons, possums, cats, etc.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline XxLT250RxX

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »
Suppressing a 17HMR will not sound anything like you see in the movies.  For a silencer to be "quiet" you must use subsonic ammo.  As far as I know it is not available for the 17HMR.  The suppressor will muffle the muzzle blast to the point where it will probably be hearing safe but you will still get the sonic crack. 

If you are still interested the link below is to a forum devoted to the subject.  Discussion forums include Silencers in general, reviews and a forum on building your own if you have the skills, tools, and machinery. If you decide to build one yourself be sure you have an approved Form 1 before you do anything.

Be warned, if you go down this road you will get to the point where you don't want to shoot without one.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/

Offline Strikenmike

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 03:59:32 AM »
Ok, Ok, I will forget that idea.  Sounds like I wouldn't like the results and it is fraught with regulator crapolla.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 05:22:03 AM »
I'm fortunate to live in a place I don't have to worry about the sound of shots.  A few years ago, I was sighting in my .45-70 at about 6 am on fine, quiet summer morning.  Pretty soon the Deputy Sherriff, a neighbor and friend was here with a complaint from a neighbor about a third of a mile away.  He immediately acknowledged I was doing the shooting legally, came in, had a cup of coffee, and went back to the complaining neighbor.   End of problem.  Early mornings, before the wind picks up, is the best time for me to shoot.  I wear ear protection in my old age and really don't care how loud a rifle cracks.  If you're shooting at game......or someone else.....don"t worry about it....do your part, and they'll never hear it.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline joeinwv

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 05:36:52 AM »
It is not a big deal or anything complicated. Fill out your forms, pay your $200 to the Feds and go buy the can. Done.

Homemade, unregistered silencers fall in the same neighborhood as cutting your shotgun barrel too short or alter a sear to allow automatic firing.
<funny>

Offline XxLT250RxX

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 05:38:26 AM »
Ok, Ok, I will forget that idea.  Sounds like I wouldn't like the results and it is fraught with regulator crapolla.

Don't let my remarks discourage you.  I am sure you have a .22.  Buy or build one for your .22 and use subsonic ammo and you will love it.  It will sound like a pellet gun.  You can still use it on your 17.  I just won't be as quiet.  The legal end of it is not that difficult.  Fill out the forms, get your chief LEO to sign the forms, fingerprints and photo, and send a check for 200.00 and wait.  I know that sounds like a lot of trouble but it not that big a deal.  You can also go the trust route and you will not need the LEO signature or the prints. 

As I said in the last line of my post above, once you start shooting suppressed you will not want to shoot without one.  I live out in the country and have my own private range and I shoot my suppressed firearms much, much more that my unsupressed ones.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 05:44:31 AM »
Or just use an air rifle, works great on small critters.  ;) 

Tim

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 06:08:29 AM »
I currently have a Cyclone K suppressor.  I have one of my Handi's and a Remington threaded to accept the suppressor.  It cost $200.00 to ATF to get the permit, then over $800.00 for the suppressor.  There is just a slight whisper when I shoot, in fact the hammer falling makes more noise than the gun going off.  The bullet smack on the target is far louder than the gun shot.  But that is only if I shoot sub-sonic loads.  That starts a whole new ball of wax.

By being sub-sonic the point of impact changes and so does the killing power.  Therefore you need to use bigger bullets, then your range goes to pot.  So it is a close up endeaver and just not worth it for many folks.

It is nice to not have to use hearing protection.  If your range is 100 yards or less then you are good to go.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »
I guess I'm missing something.  Here in Michigan you can't shoot within 400 feet of an occupied dwelling.....I believe.  At 400 feet, what's all the hassle and expense of a suppressor worth?  Now, if you're in a row house 10 feet from a neighbor, it may be a different issue.   Personally, I'd just move out and go find 120 acres on Da U.P and save the expense.

Pete
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline kng

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 07:15:35 AM »
Sourdouh,

What caliber is your suppressed Handi?

thanks,
-Kyle
H&R/NEF:  .243, .308, .270, .357, .357 Talo, 45 BC Carbine, 45-70 Talo, .50 cal, .22/20 Versa, .22 Sportster
12 ga. turkey, 20 ga. Topper Model 88, .410, 20 ga. Ultra Light Slug Hunter, 20 ga. Tamer

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 07:55:19 AM »
Or just use an air rifle, works great on small critters.  ;) 

Tim

Would add CB longs work well also , very well !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 08:03:16 AM »
Would add CB longs work well also , very well !

+2

Used them to shoot Chipmunks. You can hear the bullet hit them.

Doug

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 08:09:58 AM »
A nice gun with scope to shoot them would be less than a suppressor

Offline tcencore3006

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 08:13:09 AM »
I have a Gamo Whisper.  Killed a squirrel from my kitchen last week.  The whole family watched and nobody covered their ears. :)
Newest toy? Smith & Wesson 4006

Offline XxLT250RxX

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 09:35:21 AM »
Different strokes for different folks.  Can your pellet gun do this?

Not mine.  Posted by Will36 on Silencertalk. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 12:01:42 PM »

Offline Evin264

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 01:02:34 PM »
Yankee Hill also makes a few suppressors and the one I have on my Browning Buckmark works really well.  Dealing with the ATF wasn't too difficult, but it was a little time consuming getting the forms together. 

Offline XxLT250RxX

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 01:03:37 PM »

Some can!  ;D

Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88egSlaRM8s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcEUALgFdac

http://www.compasseco.com/blog/2008/01/small-game-to-big-gameairgun-hunting.html

Wow, I guess they can!  I knew there were some rather powerful ones out there but not like those! Some of them look like they would be a bit heavy. Also, the one in the second video sounds like it needs a suppressor. ::)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 10:40:51 AM »

Well to ansewer your question The Va Department of Game and Inland Fisheries use Air rifles to cull deer . I think it is a Quackinbush (sp) in 50 cal. Its filled from a dive tank and uses muzzle loader lead bullets. I have looked into getting one . They are about what a suppresor cost and you need a letter from local LEO. or CCW permit to order one if memory is correct.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 11:55:05 PM »
My son got one for a 45 ACP.  Lengthy process.  Not hard, but took several months.  You have to use a Class III dealer(s).  He could not find the specific model he wanted locally so he 'purchased' online from a Florida dealer.  FL dealer had to get approval from ATF to ship to our local Class III dealer.  That took about 2 weeks including shipping.  Local dealer completed forms while my son got his 'passport' photos and fingerprints done.  Then, in our state at least, you have to hand carry the whole paperwork package to the State Police headquarters - who ensure you sign in the right places and collect a processing fee.  About 10 days later they returned the signed-off paperwork and it was forwarded to ATF with a check for $200.  Maybe 6-8 weeks later, dealer called and said he had the paperwork back from ATF and he could pick it up. 

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 12:53:12 AM »
  Tim is correct again;   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugyO7dcF1n8

My grandson (the Marine) regularly eliminates coon and possums around his govt quarters.  He has a Beeman with both .177 and .22 barrel..he says the .22 is much more effective @ 800 fps than the .17@ 1000 fps. 
 http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,190960.msg1098992418.html#msg1098992418

Again, it's all about bullet or pellet placement.  For most of  us a subsonic in our longest  barrel .22 rifle will do quite well.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 02:22:12 AM »
I'm not a rich man and to me a thousand dollars spells 4 Handis.  I guess I'll keep the noise.

Pete

Offline Hank in Indiana

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 02:36:12 AM »
22 CB caps are very quiet. I killed a lot of rabbits with them.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 05:41:06 AM »
CB Longs out of a long barreled .22 rifle is quieter than out of most pellet guns.

I use a pellet gun for pests around the house but if I need something a little more I'll pull out the .22 with the CB longs.

The CB longs are quieter than the .22 CB shorts by the way.   It has to do with the short case and higher pressure.

Shoot both from the same rifle and you'll see for yourself!

I've got an old Remington 550-1 semi-auto that shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle, and I use it like a bolt action working the bolt handle after each shot since it won't cycle the CB longs...Lots of fun!

They are fun to plink with and won't bother the neighbors and cost way less than a supressor!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.