Author Topic: hang fires with wolf LRM primers  (Read 437 times)

Offline savage308

• Trade Count: (1)
hang fires with wolf LRM primers
« on: January 30, 2011, 03:43:12 PM »
i have used 5,000  Wolf small rifle mag primers with no problems at all and then i started using Wolf large rifle in my 308 and 243 with no problems .now i ordered 5,000 wolf large rifle magnum for my 300win mag and 270weatherby mag and thats when i started having hang fires. i loaded 30 rounds and the first 10 all did the same thing.pull the trigger,hear the fifing pin hit and a fraction of a second later boom.i went ahead and pulled the bullets from the 20 i had left and loaded them in the gun with just the primer and when i pulled the trigger it SEEMED like the primer fired  almost instantly . what do ya'll think?

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
Re: hang fires with wolf LRM primers
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »
Sounds like a powder problem since you said you pulled the bullets and then fired the primer and it went boom when you pulled the trigger. May be too much space below the bullet to the powder, you may  need to use a different powder that fills the case more. Try using a regular LRP instead of the magnum primer and see what happens--may not be the powder---just have to try several different things to narrow it down.

cybin

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:44:06 AM »
I had a batch of wolf lp mags and lp standards that did the same. They were very week primers. I think its probably a quality control thing and some bad batches are made and rather then throw them out they just sell them.
blue lives matter

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »
My first though would be that your powder was contaminated. I guess it could happen with some powders that are harder to lite, but if your sure the primers are bad I would try them in hot weather and hope them worked then. It would abso be a good idea to run the loads through a crono to check for velocity vairation.

Offline savage308

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:24:32 PM »
i should have said the powder was  75 grains of re25 and the same load with fed 215 did just fine so i knew it wasent the powder. but i am going to try another powder and report the results

Offline topper88

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 01:54:59 AM »
I had some hang fires on the .223 primers from Wolf.  I'm still researching it but it may be part or all my fault.  I was reloading some military .223 IMI brass and while the primer pockets did not require reaming they were very tight.  I used the lee priming tool to walk them in rotating 180 degrees until they were flush using force enough to flatten the primer.  I think the walking action abraded some primer material between the anvil and cup.  Some didn't fire at all but most were hang fires. 

So make sure you prepare primer pockets so the primers slide in with little to no resistance, not overly firm seating and primer material isn't extruded out of place.  My idea or solution, will see how it works when snow melts.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:54:16 AM »
There is a reason why Weatherby recommends the Federal 215 primer. Looks like the Wolf isn't up to snuff in large cases.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline savage308

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 11:20:47 AM »
fixed the problem. a friend suggested that i needed to seat the primers harder and after i pulled the bullets and powder i seated them real hard and loaded them again and they went boom as soon as the pin hit em . only problem is its sleeting here in bama so i only had time to check 2 so when i can ill let you know for sure.