Author Topic: Cannon movies  (Read 2571 times)

Offline willdj79

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannon movies
« on: January 31, 2011, 04:31:11 AM »
I would like know what are some good movies that display cannon. I have watched Gettysburg which showed a fare amount of artillery.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Cannon movies
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 05:56:46 AM »
Clint Eastwood's the good the bad and the ugly has to up there pretty high. The civil war scene is classic

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 06:26:51 AM »
I like the real early movies,  if they are old enough then all the guns are originals, like gone with the wind. all uniforms and guns left over from the civil war.

rick bryan

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 06:32:51 AM »
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World comes to mind.....
any of the Hornblower movies both screen & made for tv,
Any of the Disney's Pirates movies....
the Alamo...... there are plenty of them out there....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline lance

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 06:37:30 AM »
I'll throw in a couple of movies:
Gods and Generals
Drums in the Deep South
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline lance

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 01:46:01 PM »
What the heck.....a couple more:
Davy Crockett and the River pirates
Not really a movie but a must see: Artillery Games, from The History Channel, they have DVD's

Offline NinjaToes

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 02:21:38 PM »
The Patriot "2000" has a few good scenes.
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline willdj79

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
What the heck.....a couple more:
Davy Crockett and the River pirates
Not really a movie but a must see: Artillery Games, from The History Channel, they have DVD's

Thanks Lance for the info on artillery games. I looked it up and it sounds like it would be very interesting. I have caught a few shows on history channel, i believe it was a modern marvels show that explained the history of artillery. I can never watch enough of shows like that..

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 05:11:17 PM »
One of the stars of Artillery Games is a regular poster here.  Even though he is famous, Artilleryman still has time for us little people...  ;D

Here are some pictures  Norm has shared with us in the past from the  Movie.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 05:14:06 PM »
Last of the Mohicans (1992) siege of the fort also use of a Grenade launcher
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline willdj79

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »
Thanks DD for the pictures. I found the movie listed on the history channels web site, i think i might splurge and buy it...

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 09:17:16 PM »
One of my favorites..."Cutthroat Island" with Geena Davis...Pirates, fun!  :D BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 01:47:48 AM »
It's not a movie but Lock & Load [R.Lee Ermey] did a segment on artillery.  I think it's still on Youtube.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 03:26:44 AM »
Last of the Mohicans (1992) siege of the fort also use of a Grenade launcher

This is one of my favorites also.  The French and Indian War scene in which a huge French, cast iron, siege mortar is used by Montcalm's forces in 1757, against the British in Fort William Henry on Lake George, 35 miles north of Saratoga, New York, is memorable.  The huge mortar pictured below, weighing approx. 4,900 pounds is now at Fort Ticonderoga, formerly French, Fort Carillon.  It was cast just 15 years after the Battle for Fort William Henry and could very well have been used as a model for the historical armament experts hired by the movie company for the ordnance of the French siege battery on the north-west shore of Lake George which bombarded Fort William Henry.

Tracy

2007 at  Ft. Ticonderoga and the French siege mortar.  The cheeks weighed almost as much as the tube.

Markings in good condition.  A 12" French siege mortar.

French,  'fleur-de-lis' are evident in the casting as they were on the flags fluttering in the breeze which blew through the French batteries during that siege so long ago.

12" bore with large chamber.  An approx. 190 pound bombe was thrown by these large mortars.

Don't forget about  "The Pride and the Passion" starring Cary Grant, Sophia Loren and 'old blue eyes', Frank Sinatra and the Huge Spanish Gun.  It's based on the novel, The Gun, by C. S. Forster.  The gun's ride down the mountainside is worth the price of admission!  Sophia's strategically torn blouse ain't bad either.  :) :)
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 06:15:52 AM »
Thanks for the kind words and posting some of my photos DD.  In my mind I have never thought of myself has having moved past "regular folks".  I am always amazed at how fortunate I have been to have taken part in so many fun events that have brought me so much "fame".

Anyway there is another History Channel program that we took part in that has some great slow motion footage in it.  The series was called "This Week in History".  I am not sure if it is available.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Forward Observer

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 06:55:58 AM »
One of my favorites..."Cutthroat Island" with Geena Davis...Pirates, fun!  :D BoomLover

This is also one of my favorite pirate/action/adventure movies.  One of the best sequences in the movie is when one of the ships in the harbor of Jamaica is firing its cannons at Geena and Mathew Modine as they race a stolen carriage down the waterfront.   

I saw it in the theater when it came out, then bought a VHS tape of  it, then replaced the VHS with the DVD version, and recently replaced that with the Blu-Ray version--and I actually have a licensed replica of the main gauche style dagger that Geena Davis wielded in the movie.  (found it on a bargain table at a gun show)

However, you and I  may be among the very small minority of people who actually like this movie.    It holds the dubious distinction of being the biggest box office financial flop of all times--meaning that it  lost more money than any movie in history to date.    Just do a search of box office flops and it will always come out on top.   Oddly number two is the Billy Bob Thornton version of the "Alamo"--another movie with quite a  bit of black powder cannon action in it.

I have  never  quite understood why "Cutthroat" flopped so badly because IMHO it is infinitely better than those zombie filled, Johnny Depp ridden, crap-tastic Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Cheers

Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 09:53:52 AM »
Timing is everything?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »
"Cutthroat Island" I always love it when I watch movies and we see solid Iron Shot hit something and there are always
explosions and flames!!!  :o 

I never get that when I fired solid shot!! :-\
::)

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 01:50:03 PM »
"Cutthroat Island" I always love it when I watch movies and we see solid Iron Shot hit something and there are always

You mean they don't, next you will tell me, movies ain't real..... :-[       ;D

Offline NinjaToes

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »
Yeah episode 1 is all about artillery.

It's not a movie but Lock & Load [R.Lee Ermey] did a segment on artillery.  I think it's still on Youtube.
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 03:35:12 PM »
DD I think I have found a possible use for my little bronze swivel gun.....  ;D ;D

http://www.fandango.com/movie-trailer/thegreatrace-trailer/36767/1_5039

Offline Forward Observer

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 04:16:59 PM »

What?  You've evidently never heard of shells with proximity fuses based on steam powered magnetic wave resonance.   Everybody was using them by the 18th century and even earlier.   I'm pretty sure from watching the movie "Kingdom of Heaven" that Saladin was even using them in his trebuchets at the siege of Jerusalem-- ;)
Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Offline Double D

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
DD I think I have found a possible use for my little bronze swivel gun.....  ;D ;D

http://www.fandango.com/movie-trailer/thegreatrace-trailer/36767/1_5039

That would  put you right up there with Battleshipduke!

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 04:08:28 AM »
I have a real soft spot for Sahara and the cannons there!
Bob Smith

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 04:35:40 AM »
I have a real soft spot for Sahara and the cannons there!
Bob Smith

Yeah.......It shows why the Confederate Navy lost the war using such small cannon............. I thought they put real big cannon on those
ironclad's..............

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 05:32:15 AM »
     Wait a minute KABAR2.  I must agree with Bob Smith here.  The only seacoast and Navy rifle to penetrate a Federal Monitor during the War Between the States was the 7" Brooke, just like the ones we are currently making.  On September 8, 1863, near Charleston, South Carolina, one of these big rifles in Battery Marion on Sullivan's Island sent a 120 pound bolt completely through one side of the Federal ship Weehawken, a Passaic Class Monitor which was stuck on a sandbar at the tip of Cumming's Point on Morris Island.  The range was a little over 1.5 miles.

These 21,000 pound cannon were quite large and powerful, using 20 pounds of powder and 120 pound wrought iron bolts  when trying to pierce Federal Monitors.   They were also mounted on ships such as the ironclad, CSS Charleston. 

Come on, Allen, lighten up a bit.  The film maker's camera angle made them look smaller!!  That's all.  They did pretty well against attack helicopters.   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 06:32:28 AM »
Ok....Ok..... It musta been the camera angle ::)
good thing they used a shell instead of a bolt or else it would have passed clear through and not
bounced off the 1/8" thick aluminum wall of the crew compartment..... I'll say no more.... :-X  8)

now let me get back to cutting the door in my truck hood for my cannon..... brrhaahaaahaa  :o

Offline lance

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 07:04:01 AM »
OK.......OK........I have an ideal for a MOVIE!!! The GBO Cannon and Mortar Folks...........Well, might have to work on the name a bit ;D

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 07:28:30 AM »
Mind you, Penelope Cruz may have something to do with my fondness...

Bob

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »
Netflix has these:

"Fire In The Steppe". It is the third story in the Seinkiewicz Trilogy. The movie can be found as "Colonel Wolodyjowski". It's 17th c. Poland. I once owned the entire trilogy but sold it.  It's in Polish with English sub-titles.

Also try, "1612", which is in Russian with English sub-titles.

Then there's "Napoleon", 1955 with Orson Welles. I still own it.

I own some others Polish and Russian  movies with glimpses of artillery used in a few scenes but nothing to write home about.
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!