Author Topic: Have you ever had to use your wepon?  (Read 3768 times)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Have you ever had to use your wepon?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 04:39:08 PM »
I had a good friend back in the early 80's who was a route man and decided to get a ccl. About 2 years later he was held up. After giving the bad guy $500 the thief was walking away, my friend drew his 38 S&W and told the guy to drop his gun and put his hands up. The guy spun around and shot my friend in the chest-my friend then shot the bad guy in the leg. My friend died leaving a young wife, 2 kids under 5 and a small life insurance policy. The guy went to jail 10 years. It's not so much I'm against CCL's but 95% of people who carry have absolutly no training on how and when to use it. When the Adrenaline starts pumping all that "target" shooting training is useless. If, my friend had shot the guy in the back he would have been the one on the way to jail.

thanks....we do need reminding  of these  incidents

i have  more than  my share of encounters
and  need to review  my memoery  about
what  i could have done to avoid  the problem  to begin with
age  bings wisdom..........and  post like yours  help  to
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »
That is one of my major peeves! The guy got a mere 10 years for murder and probably got out in half that. We don't need stricter gun laws we just need judges that do their jobs. A murderer should get a minimum of life without parole. They shouldn't be released untill their victom, or victoms,  can climb up out of the grave!

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 01:09:26 AM »
I know this will anger some and some will disagree.
IF you pull the gun--use it.
That man would not have had the opportunity to turn around. Call me a back shooter if you wish, I don't care. I would have judged him to death.
The object is to get the scum in the ground, not the pen.
The closest I have ever come to using a gun was in a city where we stopped during a trip.
It was a nice motel and well kept--but some used it for dealing drugs.
When I awoke to noise and saw what was going on and a few eyeing my car---I pulled up a chair on the sidewalk--sat down and laid the Commander on my lap and told them I was hopeful I wasn't disturbing business.
They blended into the night---I called my wife on the phone and she got things together and we left at 2 AM.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 04:45:51 AM »
Marty, that's a sad story.  2 points I can make:

1.  If the thief was walking away, he should have been allowed to do so.  Too late to go into self defence mode.  The only issue to be resolved at that stage was the money.  If someone has your money, you should not try to get it back with a gun.

2.  Re. training, all who carry should get all they can get, but our right to carry has nothing to do with how well we shoot or whether we've been trained.  The Constitution gives us the right.  In my state, there's an idiot writing for the liberal newspaper who constantly harps about how easy it is to get a cc permit.  He reminds us that we don't have to show proficiency.  He said it's like giving a driver's license to someone who can't drive.  He conveniently forgets that driving is a privilege.  Owning and carrying guns is a right.  Although I can agree it's dangerous to walk around with a loaded gun you don't know how to use, but it's not a thing the gov't. can legally regulate.  Where such regulations are in place, they stomp on basic rights.   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 05:16:02 AM »
If you pull a gun and the attack stops you used the gun . Don't confuse fireing with using  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 05:16:19 AM »
I had to pull out my SP101 357 only twice in 20 years but it stopped both situations.  Here in Central FL we have an influx of street people come down for the winter.   Usually breakins, stealing of Christmas gifts, electronics and stuff that can be quickly pawned is the norm.    This particular winter ( I believe it was 1994) saw a rash of home invasions, very violent stuff.   

I was finishing up work real late this Monday night and parked in the driveway near the front door so as to easily unload my gear.    Time was 11:45pm.  I normally just hop out and start unloading.  This particular night there was an old song on the radio I hadn't heard in years, so I just sat there, 357 in my jacket pocket, listening to the song and relaxing.   When the song ended, I got my keys and put my hand on the ruger and just got ready to open the door.....  I looked up and a very large fellow had his hand on my car door and fist and arm raised up to coldcock me!

I laid back on the seat and drew and raised the 357 in one motion.   the guys fist became two open palms in the air while backpeddling toward the street and then running off into the dark.   I scanned around to see if there were any more BGs around but everything was quiet.     I quickly went into the house, locked up,  gave my wife and baby daughter a hug and a kiss.     About that time my legs went rubbery and I finally felt my pulse racing at about 140 beats/minute.    I stayed awake until 5 am.  My friend on the Sheriffs dept said that it sounded like the same MO that had been used several nights before about a mile away.   

The other occasion happened that same year in a parking lot, just finishing up some Christmas shopping.    I had just gotten into my truck when I saw in my side mirror someone approaching.  I leaned over and grabbed the 357 from the glovebox just as the door opened and a drunk waved a broken bottle towards me and demanded $20.   I was able to grab the door and slam it on his hand causing him to drop the glass and I raised the 357 up to his eye level.    He pissed himself and started crying and went over and sat down on the sidewalk.   I called the local PD and they picked him up.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
Interesting thread.

I do carry at times, depending on where/when, and have done so for years. Thankfully I have never had need of that bit of protection.

However, the wife and I were camping one time back 10 - 15 years or so ago.  Picked a spot in a canyon mouth, just off the highway and set up the tent next to the creek.

This was not an official camp ground, but just a nice spot in a very rural and out of the way place here in Idaho.

During our stay in that location, a tough looking middle aged couple pulled off the highway and into the trees between our camp and the road.

Looked real, REAL funny!!!!!!!  This tough look'in couple with a young baby.  They stop the pickup, throw a mattress out on the ground and the guy starts prowling around.  The canyon got very narrow about where the tent was set up and the fellow walked past the tent and up the trail while the woman and child stayed by the pickup.

They appeared to be much too old to have a child this age, grandparents maybe, but???

Made me edgy to say the least, things just didn't look right.  It was clear they weren't set up to camp so just what was going on!

During the short time the fellow was up the trail past the tent, I retreaved the .44 from the tent and strapped it on.

Didn't make a big thing of it, didn't pull it out, but didn't hide it eather.

Well the fellow comes back down the trail, through the camp and suddenly that mattress is back in the pickup and they are hitting the road.

I will never know just what happened that day, no words were exchanged that I recall, but for some reason they, THANKFULLY!, decided there was a better place for that mattress.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 11:17:38 PM »
Twice in my life I had the same thing happen to me;  once in the 70's in San Antonio,Tx and again in the 80's in Tucson,Az.
Both times I was driving along minding my own bizzness when a car load of men tried to force me off the road.  In both cases I simply showed I was armed and they didn't want to play anymore.  Simply showing the firearm stopped the altercations.  I didn't have cellphones back then and no law was called.  It is better to have and not need, than need and not have. 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline jhm

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011, 03:04:42 AM »
     Well this post has been on a couple times now, and I have always avoided it, but here goes I am 64 yrs. old and was born and raised in DETROIT Mi. I have carried a handgun so long I cant even remember when I started, before then we used ALLEY APPLES AKA a brick if necessary, the carrying of a handgun doesnt give you the right to brandish or use just because you have it, you need to quickly asses the situation and what William said is correct if you do pull it be prepared to use it, I wont go thru the 1st 34 yrs. of my life but it is to say that their was alot more excitement then as the last 30 have been kinda quiet.   Jim

Offline Savage

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 03:24:07 AM »
All my life I have heard that old "If You Pull a Gun, Use It" Crap.  Not counting the times I had to present my weapon as an LEO, I have on at least three occasions as a civilian, avoided having to use my weapon by making it's presence known.  Someone tell me how that's not better than shooting someone you don't have to. If you ever have to display your weapon, don't waste any time calling the police. You want to make sure you make the first call. There are times when one might give an assailant too much of an advantage by failing to fire,  those cases are an exception.  Those who know me, know I am not shy about pulling the trigger should the need arise. I am always prepared to use whatever force necessary to protect myself and those in my charge. I always try to avoid any civil/criminal adjudications I can. I'll keep my life and retirement safe any way I can.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »
All my life I have heard that old "If You Pull a Gun, Use It" Crap.  Not counting the times I had to present my weapon as an LEO, I have on at least three occasions as a civilian, avoided having to use my weapon by making it's presence known.  Someone tell me how that's not better than shooting someone you don't have to. If you ever have to display your weapon, don't waste any time calling the police. You want to make sure you make the first call. There are times when one might give an assailant too much of an advantage by failing to fire,  those cases are an exception.  Those who know me, know I am not shy about pulling the trigger should the need arise. I am always prepared to use whatever force necessary to protect myself and those in my charge. I always try to avoid any civil/criminal adjudications I can. I'll keep my life and retirement safe any way I can.
Savage

Sound advise, that I as an ex L.E. officer live by myself.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 02:35:26 PM »
I'm glad I don't live anywhere near 10_point.  I'm out in the country and my dog roams where he wants.  Comes inside at night.  I don't keep my dogs on chains or in cages.  That's inhumane.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Dee

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2011, 03:32:21 PM »
Lettin him roam on property of others can be more inhumane. He may not get home one day. Just because you love him, doesn't mean anyone else does.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2011, 03:09:09 AM »
You may not like this but I have to agree with DEE on this one.  If you really love your dog keep him safe at home.   I don't know where you live but I live out in the boondocks surrounded by turkey, cattle and goat farms the owners of which do not appreciate their critters being harassed or killed by the neighbors' pet dogs... and I can't say as I blame them one bit.   I myself have lost several chickens to neighborhood dogs "who would not hurt a flee" so their owners have told me.   I've also had to replace my plastic trash cans with metal ones and secure their lids with bundgee cords to keep the neighborhood dogs from scattering my trash all over my yard.

Now before you label me a dog hater please note that I have a dog of my own (up till recently two dogs) that I keep safely at home and out of trouble as best I can.  She gets plenty of loving and attention from the family.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Dee

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
There ya go Brett. I'm an ex-K9 officer-trainer, and a lifetime dog owner-lover. But I don't usually love someone else's dog, and I don't let my roam. In my part of the country, if you love your dog, keep him home. Lettin a dog roam a neighborhood, or countryside is not a sign of love, but rather a lack of good neighborly discipline. If you live far enough out that you have no neighbors, fine, but few do.

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2011, 10:02:25 AM »
To each his own I guess.  Both my neighbors keep theirs on a 10' chain.  I feel sorry for them every time I look over there.  The only joy the one gets is when mine goes over to play.  The kids ignore him, the parents ignore him.  Heck, it was me that went over and made sure he had food and unfrozen water during the ice storm a couple years ago.  The power went out and they left for 8 days.  He stayed. 

usually...

Offline Dee

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2011, 10:31:58 AM »
Haywood, I agree with you on chaining a dog, and even small kennels. It's cruel. I have a half acre that I spent a fortune chain link fencing for a 20 lb dog. BUT! He is a Jack Russell that does not play well with others. He avoids strangers but, will fight another dog no matter the size, and will kill small dogs, or cats if he gets the chance. What he is to me, and my family is a sweet little dog that kills all snakes, rats, mice, and cats if they get in my yard. What he would be to others is an argumentative nuisance. I have neighbors that also let their cats roam. They get on my cars, and mess in my wife's flower beds. They love their cats, just as we love our dogs, but their not being good neighbors letting them roam. When I catch them in my yard, and especially on my vehicles, they disappear forever.
It is much like the big dog I described earlier. He was, and luckily still is a family pet to his owners, but to me, he was an aggressive menace, threatening my smaller dog, my wife, and unluckily for him, ME. That he is still breathing is due only to a shot one inch too high. It was a one time happening for the owner, and the dog, but it was dealt with in a most permanent way, that he barely survived. A good neighbor will not let his dog roam, making doggie deposits on others property, whether it be piles, or peeing on wheels, and tires of nice cars. If your neighbors are ok, with your dog roaming, I would say you, and especially your dog, are very lucky.

Offline Haywire Haywood

dog hijack... LOL
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »
I'm with you on that.  If a dog is aggressive to your pets and especially your family, dead dog, no hesitation.  However, a cat walking across the hood of my truck or a dog peeing on my tires doesn't receive a death sentence, at least in my yard.  Somebody's Great Pyrenees appears in my yard at least once or twice a week.  I was a bit leery of him at first, as he's a big animal, but he's ok.  Just making his rounds.  He could lube a truck with all the slobber hanging from his chops... LOL

I suppose this hijack has gone on long enough...

be safe,
Ian

usually...

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2011, 12:55:18 PM »
In Missouri it's against the law to shoot a stray dog unless it's a threat or harming livestock.

Offline Dee

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2011, 03:42:39 PM »
Then Missourians need to practice the SSS method of stray and nuisance dog handling.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »
Then Missourians need to practice the SSS method of stray and nuisance dog handling.

I agree!  ;D

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2011, 03:53:28 AM »

In Montana, all I have to say is the dog was chasin deer, or was agressive in the slightest way.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2011, 03:40:16 AM »
Does peeing on a set of aluminum truck rims count as an act of aggression?   ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Dee

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2011, 08:06:31 AM »
At my house it does. I don't go to a cousins house because his two very large dogs come out and pee on all four rims with great gusto. He thinks it's funny, but I just don't go there.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »
Does peeing on a set of aluminum truck rims count as an act of aggression?   ;D

Did they growl at you in your attempts to run them off?