Author Topic: BFR in 50 AE or 475 Linebaugh  (Read 1331 times)

Offline RB98SS

• Trade Count: (0)
BFR in 50 AE or 475 Linebaugh
« on: February 01, 2011, 06:19:59 AM »
I've been looking high and low online and locally for a BFR in 480/475 and can't locate one anywhere.  I've been able to find the 7 1/2" model but not the 6 1/2" one that I prefer.  CDNN has the 6 1/2" BFR in 50 AE for a good price but I'm not sure I want to mess with the rebated rim, head spacing on the mouth and taper crimp of this cartridge.  I am currently loading for 50 AE as I have a Desert Eagle in that caliber already but am not sure about keeping lead bullets from creeping in the BFR.

Does anyone here have a BFR in 50 AE that could provide me with some insight as to if they are having issues with bullet creep?

I really want the 475 but the price is right on the 50.

Thanks.

Offline Ken ONeill

Re: BFR in 50 AE or 475 Linebaugh
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 02:10:03 AM »
I don't own a BFR, but 2 of my FA's are chambered in .50AE, and 1 of those is also retro fitted with an early .500WE cylinder.
I was aware of the potential for bullet creep in a .50 AE revolver, and thus avoided buying one for years. I finally caved in and bought 1 in 2002, figuring that surely I could overcome any reloading problems. I wanted an "elegant" .50, not a super hot rod, since I already owned 2 .475 L's.
I experimented quite a bit, determining immediately that bullet creep was indeed present with heavy loads, and that accuracy suffered accordingly. I talked with a Speer Technical Services man, and confirmed that Speer uses an adhesive on their bullet to hold it in the case longer, information I had also gotten from another source.
To shorten the story, I did arrive at a load that met my power and accuracy objectives, and did not use an adhesive: a 325 gr.  Speer JHP @ 1110 fps, using 21 gr. of 2400 and a CCI 350 Magnum primer. That primer is essential in achieving that accuracy and velocity. This load has been published in The Sixgunner several times, and is below those shown in Speer's loading manual.
I picked up my second FA .50AE, used, about 1 year ago, and it also handles this load very well.
The .50AE is not popular in revolvers, and I suspect that's the reason that Magnum Research began trying to move them through CDNN at such low prices a few months ago. BFR's have a good reputation for accuracy, and should be approximately equal to FA's with this load.

Offline RB98SS

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:19:57 AM »
Thanks Ken, that's exactly what I was looking for.  You didn't happen to try your luck with lead bullets, did you?

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 03:15:07 PM »
Yes. Try the Hunters Supply 325 gr. FN truncated cone bullet, which is cast at 15BNH, with the same load. It's available from Midway. I also use it as my everyday plinking and general carry load in my WE @ 1150-1175 fps.

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:28:16 AM »
Note the BFR's barrel is mearured in a non-standard way: not from the cylinder face but from the barrel/frame junction. Therefore you need to add 5/8-3/4" to their figure when comparing to most other single actions. Your preferred 6-1/2" revolver will be over 7".

If you purchase a BFR in 50EA and are not fully satisfied you can get an 50JRH cylinder for a rim and ability to apply a heavy crimp - Basically what Ken did on one of his FAs with the WE.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 02:21:45 AM »
Note the BFR's barrel is mearured in a non-standard way: not from the cylinder face but from the barrel/frame junction. Therefore you need to add 5/8-3/4" to their figure when comparing to most other single actions. Your preferred 6-1/2" revolver will be over 7".

If you purchase a BFR in 50EA and are not fully satisfied you can get an 50JRH cylinder for a rim and ability to apply a heavy crimp - Basically what Ken did on one of his FAs with the WE.

I didn't know that, thanks!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.