Author Topic: 17 HMR  (Read 508 times)

Offline jdseaver

• Trade Count: (0)
17 HMR
« on: December 18, 2003, 01:49:40 PM »
:?: Looking for comments on the Ruger Single Six 17 HMR.I read that it is far better then the22mag??Looking to do some pot filling and keeping sharp this winter.

Offline KN

17 HMR
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 04:22:17 PM »
I am a strong advocate for the 17HMR. I love the little round and consider it supperior to the 22mag. BUT, I don't see how it gains any thing over the 22mag from a revolver. Not enough barrel to get the velocity needed to exceed the 22mag performance. In a Contender pistol or a rifle I vote the 17HMR. In a revolver I think you would be better suited with a 22mag. Just my $.02.    KN

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
17 HMR
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2003, 08:45:27 AM »
No experience with the round/gun combo but there's a Hunter version of the Single Six coming in '04 chambered in .17HMR and another in .22LR/Mag.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline Smithy

Ruger Single Six 17 HMR
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 09:42:22 PM »
I picked up a Ruger Single Six in 17 HMR about a month ago.  I took it to the range and found it a fun gun to shoot.  I was shooting at 25 yards outdoors and because of the small bullet size and my old eyes I had trouble spotting my hits on the target.
A couple of days later I dug out a 4X long eye relief pistol scope and adapted a rifle scope ring to the top strap of the gun.  I took it to the range today.  I went to an indoor range so I could scoot the target up and back since I had no idea how my rube goldberg scope mount would work.  Well, I haven't had such a good time since I watched the pig eat my little brother.  The round has no recoil to speak of but makes a great bang and the fast, flat, trajectory made several of the local "experts" drift over to see what I was shooting.  The bonus was that the thing zeroed just fine and held steady at 25 yards.
Sorry to ramble on but for right now this is the funnest gun I own.  If I was going to hunt to put squirl meat on the table I have to admit that in my opinion the 22 WMR is probably a better choice.  But shooting the 17 out of a scoped pistol comes about as close to making me feel as when I first shot my sears pump 22 in 1955.
Just my $0.02.  Great site. :grin: