Author Topic: Finished My 686 Carry Gun  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Finished My 686 Carry Gun
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:10:55 AM »
I finally had time to finish slicking the action, polishing the frame, and fitting the grips to my 686 Smith, and am very pleased. I did one of these the same way about 10 years ago with a 4" barrell but, after looking at a 4" I decided I had more use for this 2 1/2" one, and am glad I kept it. The action cleaned up really nice, and although the Tyler T-Grip was a little over-size for the fit, it turned down nicely with little modification to them or the Ivory grips (Ajax). It's a good match to the Model 60 Smith pictured with it.
Also if your wondering, the knife is a Cold Steel Recon I removed the handle and finish from (rubber). The new over-size handle is from one of my pecan trees, and is a working man's knife in the field.

click to enlarge photo.

You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Finished My 686 Carry Gun
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:29:57 AM »
Good looking pair.
I like the knife handle as well.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dee

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »
Thanks william, I hate skinny handles on big knives, so I sometimes make my own.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »
+1 from me too Dee...I like them both!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »
Looks great.
I noticed in the before picture on the other post that the 686 was not loaded and now that it is finnished it is loaded.

Offline Dee

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 01:04:36 PM »
When I was workin on it duck the bullets kept fallin out. ;D It's just a fluke I guess. My carries are always loaded.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 02:25:08 AM »
I hada knife--once--that had a handle that was slicker than snot on a brass doorknob when it got messy. Good knife.
I fashiones a wood dowel on the tang and put a golf grip on the ol thang---talk about grip.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 06:59:03 AM »
  I love it, Dee! Congrats.  I have my model 19 decked out almost the same. Great minds think alike :). Ajax has a good product.  :D   

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 01:06:59 PM »
Now that's a couple of sweet lookin revolvers.  Very nice.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Dee

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 06:56:48 AM »
Thanks guys. I off to Omaha.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 07:30:30 AM »
  Omaha? Say it ain't so, Dee! Not the Corn Husker state!    :)

Offline Dee

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »
Looked around and came back. ;D

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 11:53:57 AM »
I hear ya'..... (:

Offline Edgecomb

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »
 :)   Did something similar except in 4". Ground off the tops of the grips as they did not fit flush against the frame, still a good looking piece. Shoots 10's at 10 yards all day long with plus-P's. Carry load and woods loads are .357. Great revolver all around.

Offline Dee

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 11:05:47 AM »
:)   Did something similar except in 4". Ground off the tops of the grips as they did not fit flush against the frame, still a good looking piece. Shoots 10's at 10 yards all day long with plus-P's. Carry load and woods loads are .357. Great revolver all around.

PICTURES?

Offline Edgecomb

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
Hey Dee,

Not that computer savvy yet(Have no camera)  Got a question for you tho???  Do you know of anyone who makes an aftermarket wide 'V' notch sight for the 686. Mine is personal protection carry (retired cop). Most actual gunfights and self protection situations are at close range. Factory sights just don't cut it as they are too fine. Most of our range qualifications at close range were pretty much instinct (point and pull the trigger). The Dept. was going to Glocks just as I was retiring, and being an old fart I prefer a wheel gun for personel defence. Anything over 10 yards and these aged eyes require some type of sight. Don't need the finess of factory sights but would like something. I could file a wide 'V' nothc in my sights and order up another set for longer range shooting...but was just wondering if you might have any info....thanks too much.

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »
Edgecomb, I am a front sight man in a fight. On neither instance of my two did I even remember the rear sight, yet I hit what I was shooting at. If I were you, I would concentrate on the front sight for such shooting. The goal is to be the firstest with the mostest. In other words, the first hit. I agree. Close in is the way to fight with a pistol, and a rear sight is of little value except for carefully aimed shots.
Practice close with this method, and gradually work you way back in distance. You will be surprised. I taught this professionally for 18 years as a police combat instructor and SWAT team leader-trainer.

Offline Edgecomb

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »
Hey again Dee,

Thanks for the advice, I am a newbie to this forum and did not realize you were law enforcement too. I started off in the Maine State Police in 1971. We were on call 24-7 bit had a standard work week of six, ten hour days. On days off we were in court. barracks inspections, training, Etc. We finally formed an association around 1974-1975 to talk with the state about hours. As a result a Troopers union was formed and now the State Police presence in Maine is dramatically reduced. Thank you Maine State Legislature.

I stood it for about 7 years and went to a municipal Dept. At least in a smaller Dept. you get to do some actual police work instead on concentrating on traffic stops to boost numbers for next years budget with the legislature.

As a municipal officer we were armed with a series of wheel guns and I came to really like the reliability. Nener had a range jam, a few wad cutter misfires, but then you just keep pulling the trigger.

I was in that Dept. until I got a broken neck on a domestic call (about 20 years) and had to take a medical retirement. The politicians screwed me again on a reduced pension as I could have gone back to work as a DISPATCHER!!!!! No way, I took the lumps, had my neck re-built and now have a very bitter view of all politics.

Offline Dee

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 12:42:09 PM »
21 years here Edgecomb. I have reduced my bitterness, and confined it to anyone with a law degree. I have however, met on line, and talked by phone, to a gentleman named Richard, aka AtlLaw, that although a practicing prosecutor, ex-law officer, in spite myself LIKE. He is a good guy with his feet on the ground, his head outta his a#%, and his ego well under control. This is to say, he has been to see the elephant, survived, and knows how to treat people. All others with a law degree regardless of their side, I have no use for.
I spent a couple of years in patrol promoted to Sgt in the 70s, was a Special Investigator for a D.A.'s office, then went to narcotics. After 3 years there working marijuana growers in the Red River bottoms along the Oklahoma-Texas border, and developing a keen distrust for ANYONE, I went back to Uniform, to SWAT as a trainer-team leader, then to tactical K-9 as a trainer. After all the above, I found a well trained dog was far more dependable, and trust-worthy than most officers, and he wasn't trying to get my job.
I have been out for almost 17 years, and do not miss it, or most of the folks involved in it. I still support L.E. but, my wife says I would make a good hermit. I'm not the gun nut I used to be, and although a pistol smith, have sold all my automatics, and went back to the basics. Wheel guns! They almost never fail, have more usable power, are more versatile, and carry well. Besides, after two separate fights, the 357 mag performed better, and both were over in under 6 rounds, and fewer seconds.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »
Never been in inforcement Dee, but my uninformed opinion has always been that if 6 from a 357 don't end it, your in a big mess.  I've just always liked wheel guns.  I have one semi, a 380 Beretta that was my Dad's pocket gun.  Were it not his, I would have traded it years ago.

I armed my wife with a wheel gun, and while I don't know how she would do in a dire situation, my bet would be on her and not the bad guy.  She can shoot the 10 ring all day long, and my only instruction to her was to just point and shoot.  After I found she instinctively could outshoot me, I offered no further instruction, other than to keep shooting until the bad guy was down and out.

To my untrained mind, a 357 is and always has been a stopper...

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 01:16:51 PM »
Dee
Very nice 686
Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Edgecomb

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 01:44:46 PM »
Back again Dee,

Sorry if I started a rant but it is so nice to speak with someone who has been there with the politics, Dept. back stabbing, the numbers games, and all the rest. I'm not a gun nut either(anymore) I have mellowed out to BPCR shooting with the old Sharps, Rolling Blocks, and Hi-Walls. Old age ain't so bad.
   I started carrying about 7 years ago when I was in a "Quick Stop" convenience store and a guy kept staring at me. I did not regogonize him at first look and when he followed me out he asked me "Didn't you used to be a cop?) I said yes, "Do I know you"?  He said "You put me on a long state paid vacation a while back".  Then it dawned on me who he was. He said "I'll be sseing you around", cocked his finger and thumb and pointed it at me. In the day he would have had one less thumb but we all mellow.
   I have never had another instance like that but I do take the threat seriously. I carry my 686 with full tilt boogy .357's. Nuff said, nice talking to a kindred soul.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »
Dee
You might be interested to know that my new Pastor is a Retired cop.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dee

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 08:03:50 AM »
If he wasn't behind a desk, and was in the field in an active area, he should be able to preach very proficiently on mortality.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »
He was a street cop for many years--even when he pastored a very successful church in Pasadena.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dee

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 09:16:15 AM »
K-9 Sgt. Terry Higginbotham of the Pasadena P.D. invited myself along with about 18 other K-9 trainers to a seminar i.e. tracking competition down there in about 1993. Pasadena ended up filming a training film using myself and my personal K-9 for their dept. They liked the my training methods and the way my dog handled the work, and wanted it for future training programs. He was also aware that I had two of only 7 total dogs in the entire state of Texas that were United States Police K-9 Ass. certified in patrol at the time.
I'll bet your pastor knows Terry.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 10:29:46 AM »
 :) Dee, I am not up on my S & W models, but have a 357 mag. in a model 60..It has a 3 inch barrel and I mostly carry it around the house and on my every day treks..I often load it with Rem. 125 grain HP but in 38 spl. cases..it is factory stuff...357 mag. ammo hurts my ears, and they are plenty bad as it is..What is your daily carry load for these Smiths???????
A friend and I were visiting the other day, and he said if I had my defense gun loaded with handloads and were ever forced to use it, the lawyers would make it look like I had loaded special ammo to cause increased damage to people..ever run into that situation??????

Offline Dee

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »
WCO, I carry 125 grain jacketed hollow points in 357 magnum in both my 2" Model 60, and my 2 1/2" Model 686. Under stress you will not notice the muzzel blast, nor the recoil. Trust me. ;)

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 03:37:32 PM »
 ;) thanks, I have been going to get a box of Rem. 125gr. hp in 357...I am sure under stress the blast would not be heard.. ;)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 02:02:38 AM »
couple beautiful and pratical smiths there dee.
blue lives matter