Author Topic: Nikon Prostaff  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Nikon Prostaff
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »
What is everyone's opinion of the Nikon Prostaff line of scopes? I'm looking at a 2x7x32 and have no experience with them. I can pick this up new for $100 is this a deal? Thanks Tom

Offline 336SC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Nikon Prostaff
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »
Tom,
That is a great deal.  Around here (NE PA) they run $139.00 and up.  I have 4 of the Nikon Prostaff 2x7x32 scopes.  Got one on a 30-06,
one on a .358 Win built on a 700 short action, one on a .300 Savage Classic 700, and one in storage for backup.  I really like them.  You
won't be dissapointed spending a $100.00 for one, I promise.
336SC
USN, 10 Jul 1969 - 6 Dec 1973.  NRA Life Member.  Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
Thank you, 336SC, sounds great. I know a brother wouldn't steer me wrong, PM of Strangers Rest #240 F&AM

Offline 336SC

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »
You are very welcome Brother.  Natchez Shooter Supply has em on sale right now for 99 and change.  If I didn't have the spare one I would buy one.
336SC
USN, 10 Jul 1969 - 6 Dec 1973.  NRA Life Member.  Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 03:24:25 PM »
What is everyone's opinion of the Nikon Prostaff line of scopes? I'm looking at a 2x7x32 and have no experience with them. I can pick this up new for $100 is this a deal? Thanks Tom
I just put one on my Ruger 77 Ultra Light .243.  It is very clear and I am impressed so far.  $100 new looks like a good deal to me!

Offline mrloring

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »
I have a 2x7x32 that I had on a NEF Handi 357 but it is now on a NEF Handi 45/70.  I picked mine up on clearance for $94.99 a couple years ago.  It is a great scope for the money.  I will buy Pro-Staff scopes in the future.

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:50:58 AM »
The Nikon Prostaff is the BEST bang for your buck.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:11:59 AM »
personaly for the same money id take a 3200 bushenell hands down over a prostaff.
blue lives matter

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
The Prostaff will hold up better on a hard kicking gun, and it has more eye relief.  The Prostaff is very hard to beat.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 03:22:36 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. Can't beat the guys that hang out here on GBO!! Tom

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »
I like the Prostaff a lot.  Very hard to beat for the money.  I have to say that the new Redfield's look a bit more clear. . .but only a tiny bit.  I haven't been able to set them side-by-side so I can't say for sure.  But you can't go wrong with a Prostaff.

Lloyd, I agree that the Bushnell 3200's are great, but they are not the same price as a Prostaff.  They're closer to the Buckmaster line in price but even then run a bit higher.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »
Prostaffs are on closeout for less than $100 for the 2-7x and 3-9x, I've seen Elite 3200s on closeout too, but not less than about what the Prostaff normally sells for. The Prostaff has better eye relief than the Elite which is my only complaint about the Bushnell, Prostaffs are a minimum of 3.6", the Elite 3200 have 3".

Tim

http://www.cabelas.com/riflescopes-nikon-pro-staff-riflescope-1.shtml
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mtbugle

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 03:47:43 PM »
I see mention of prostaff holding up better to recoil than the 3200's. Is there any verification to this? I was under the impression the 3200's were pretty well built. Not picking a fight, just seeking verifiable info.
Thanks Don.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »
ive got a new prostaff. Well it isnt exactly new. It was mounted on a gun and has light ring marks and one light scratch. I just cant bring myself to leaving it on a gun. Anyone that has a 3200 that would trade id gladly send it your way!
blue lives matter

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 07:00:41 AM »
I've got a 2x7x32 Prostaff shotgun scope on the way. Natchez still had 'em in stock for $99.95. Thanks again guys, Tom

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 02:06:05 PM »
You'll love it.  I have several of them.  I need to order a 3-9X40 for my .270 build.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 12:03:45 AM »
Ive got a 3200 on a 300 win mag and it sure holds up to that power level just fine. If you can afford a bit more money natchez has 4200 bushnell 3x9s closeing out for 200 bucks. thats got to be the deal of the century on a good scope. I just ordered one myself.
The Prostaff will hold up better on a hard kicking gun, and it has more eye relief.  The Prostaff is very hard to beat.
blue lives matter

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 01:37:16 AM »
Better keep some Band-aids in your pocket to stop the bleeding from that scope cut until you get to the doctor.  The Bushnells don't have enough eye relief for hard kickikng guns.  That's why they've discontinued them.  The scope that is replacing them will have enough.

Offline bman940

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 06:25:04 AM »

Tom,
If you get a Nikon ProStaff with the BDC reticle make sure you check out Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Match Technology Program. This will allow you to enter the type of scope you have, the cal. you are using, the ammo information and then get all the ballistic info. as well as the corresponding distances for your BDC circles. You can even print out a field reference guide so that you will have all the distance each BDC circle represents at each magnification setting.
Go to Nikonhunting.com, click on the Spot On logo in the upper right corner. Best of all it's all FREE.
Check it out and let me know what you think.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 01:09:18 AM »
ive got that 3200 on a 700 rem without extension mounts and it works fine. I just tried the prostaff on a 700 7mag and it doenst have enough eye relief all the back in standard mounts. Im sure its partialy due to the longer tube on the bushy but the prostaffs arent great on eye relief either. My monarchs have quite a bit more eye relief. Just bought another used 3x9 monarch and a new 3x9 4200 bushy. One of them will have to go on the new 7mm.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 12:41:21 AM »
I just sold the last prostaff i had. Before it went out the door I took it and a 3200 and compared them side by side again for eye relief and they were to close to call. The prostaff though didnt allow me to move the scope back far enough on a long action rem without extension rings or bases to get good eye relief on a model 700 long action to get good eye relief past about 4x. the 3200 did. Ive got no stake in this. Ive owned them both and there both pretty good scopes for the money. Im not the type that is brand loyal to an extream. If something works i say so and if it doesnt im not one that is afraid to say I made a mistake buying it. Ive got one prostaff left and it will stay. Its on a inline muzzle loader and its to much of a pain in the but to resight it with a differnt scope. Im not a nikon basher. I think there monarch atb binoculars are one of the best bang for the buck of any binocular and ive got a couple monarchs that are great scopes but no more prostaffs or even buckmasters for this gun.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 03:13:42 AM »
I don't buy any bushel products, bad experience with their service dept, I owned their bionics and about 6-8 riflescopes at the time and I just sold them all.
I've used nikons but it's been years ago, and was not impressed with them.
Now days I need a scope I just buy a leupold, usually used if I can find one I like for sale. I'd rather buy a leupold once and be done with it. Thantry all these lessor scopes.

JMO, regards
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 03:24:09 AM »
I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 mounted on a longaction Remington 700 using regular low Weaver Tip-off rings and bases with no problems.  I always mount scopes as far forward as possible, to prevent trips to the doctor.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 05:46:29 AM »
ive only been licked in the eye once by a rifle and that was a 416 weatherby that had a 3x9 ziess on it. Got to say it didnt feel very nice. never had problems with anything as mild recoiling as say an 06
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 05:48:39 AM »
got to agree. Ive got about all of them but i would be more then happy with a leupold on everything. Problem is the leupolds i like start at vxIIs and theres times i just cant afford to do it or i get a deal on a used quality scope that i cant pass up.
I don't buy any bushel products, bad experience with their service dept, I owned their bionics and about 6-8 riflescopes at the time and I just sold them all.
Now days I need a scope I just buy a leupold, usually used if I can find one I like for sale. I'd rather buy a leupold once and be done with it. Thantry all these lessor scopes.

JMO, regards
blue lives matter

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 06:09:58 AM »
got to agree. Ive got about all of them but i would be more then happy with a leupold on everything. Problem is the leupolds i like start at vxIIs and theres times i just cant afford to do it or i get a deal on a used quality scope that i cant pass up.

JMO, regards

Leupold absolutely the best in optics for price, quality, warranty and customer service combined.

I currently own 6 Leupold’s, but no Nikon, Bushnell and never will. I have 3 Weavers, one T/C handgun, one Redfield (it was free) and one BSA air gun (it was free). If any fail they will be replaced with a Leupold. The Thompson Center handgun scope if ever fails will be honored by T/C warranty.

yooper77

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 09:32:07 AM »
Nikon & Bushnell have the same warranty as Leupold.  Current production Bushnell is as good as (if not better than) Leupold.

I like Leupold, I just can't afford to pay 2-3 times as much for a name.

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »
I received my scope from Natchez today and as far as clarity and brightness is concerned it beats the two Loupold VXIs I have.  I'll have to wait till my rifle gets back to see how it performs otherwise. Tom

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
Nikon & Bushnell have the same warranty as Leupold. 

That's not true, Bushnell only offers the lifetime warranty on scopes to the original owner, they call is a limited lifetime warranty.

Tim

http://www.bushnell.com/resources/warranty-information/

Nikon has the same warranty as Leupold Gold Ring products.

http://www.nikondownload.com/warranty.asp

http://www.leupold.com/lightbox/features/leupold-full-lifetime-guarantee/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »
I received my scope from Natchez today and as far as clarity and brightness is concerned it beats the two Loupold VXIs I have.  I'll have to wait till my rifle gets back to see how it performs otherwise. Tom

You'll like it...