Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 862 times)

Offline Forward Observer

• Trade Count: (0)
What would you do?
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »
While perusing the selection of black powder cannons listed on EBay, I came across a listing where the seller said the item was a Small scale civil war field cannon capable of being fired with black powder as a signal or report cannon only.  He also indicated that the barrel was made of brass and that he would include a length of fuse for firing.

However, the item he pictured was not a signal cannon, but one of those ubiquitous pot metal and resin reproductions very similar to the ones that used to be imported from Spain---made by a company call Denix.  The barrels on these models are sometimes  plated to look like brass, but are still basically pot metal.

Denix is still around, but they  mostly make replica non firing historical handguns and rifles now.     

In the seller's Q and A section somebody had actually asked him if the cannon could be fired and he replied that it could.   

Maybe I probably shouldn't have stuck my nose in, but I just felt a duty to do something.   Consequently, I  sent the seller a polite Email warning him of what I considered to be a potentially dangerous listing.  I also sent him the item numbers of two identical pot metal cannons that are currently listed on EBay under Civil War collectibles, so he could compare.

I just keep thinking of what could  happen if some poor scmuck gets this  thing, tries to fire it, and it blows up in his face.

What would you have done?   

Cheers

P.S.   If anybody wants to see the listing or also send the seller a warning, just send me a PM

Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
I think you were a little charitable.  I would have contacted eBay or the previous questioner and given my spiel.  Hopefully the seller will at least withdraw the statements regarding safe to fire.  You might include such words as liability and sue regarding what could happen if he persists in offering this as a shootable piece.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Forward Observer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:02:49 AM »
I got a reply back from the seller this early morning.  They were located out of Texas, so they're on the same time zone as me.   They thanked me and informed me that they had put the wrong photo in the listing and would correct it.

However, in checking back in the last few minutes, I  see that they simply ended the auction, which may have been the  easiest  course at this point.   

Anyhow, it seems to have worked out for the best for now.   I've had very good luck in  dealing with other people on EBay, regardless of the situation, by at least starting off being overly polite in the initial communication---then judging how to go from there.  It has also prevented the loss of tons of money over the long run---related to damaged or faulty merchandise I've received.   

Cheers

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:43:41 AM »
I got a reply back from the seller this early morning.  They were located out of Texas, so they're on the same time zone as me.   They thanked me and informed me that they had put the wrong photo in the listing and would correct it.

From the info you had at the time, somebody was going to get hurt.  Good job!!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:54:32 AM »
Years ago there was an ebay auction for a cannon that some college was supposed to have used at football games............

IT WAS MADE OF LEAD!!! I contacted the seller and explained that he was infact selling a bomb which would open him up
to law suites if anyone was killed or maimed by this "cannon" he was reluctant to listen until I threatend to notify ebay he
pulled the auction........ for months after that I had many many auctions reported to ebay one was for a 5 shot Remington lee
magazine it was at 100.00 dollars when ebay ended it.......reason ... hi-cap magazine! Sometimes doing the right thing costs....
:o
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 01:16:05 AM »
Check out this one on there now:  (Link to live auctions are not allowed -removed by moderator)

They must have blown up the original barrel and have replaced it with a pipe bomb.

REVISION:

OK, my link was removed.  It is item number 260732071803 if anybody wants to go see it and try to set him straight.  For some reason he has posted his name, address, phone and email in the listing now.

Photo attached...

Offline Forward Observer

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:02:46 AM »
Check out this one on there now:

(Link to live auctions are not allowed -removed by moderator)

They must have blown up the original barrel and have replaced it with a pipe bomb.

You appear to be right because it is the same seller and he mentions the previous item that he took down in his copy.   However,  I still have a an active link to the old listing and the carriage appears to be the exact same one as the first because it has similar scars and worn places.   

Obviously they must have put the wrong picture up the first time, but the second version looks like nothing more than the same POS wood, resin, and pot metal carriage with a foot long pipe bomb mounted on it.   

He does say that he has fired it, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot linstock. :o

Cheers 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 06:46:35 PM »
FO,
Some time ago I did the same thing you did, and the seller did then change his item's description to read that he'd been contacted by another eBay member who had informed him that his cannon should never be fired, but he couldn't say for sure himself, because he wasn't knowledgeable about these things. This from the same fool that originally described it as a working model.
Now I would just take the more direct action of notifying ebay that a seller was listing an eBay banned item for auction. This way you'll be certain that the item will be pulled, and nobody will be hurt (at least not through a sale on eBay). 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.