Author Topic: CWP badge  (Read 3101 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
CWP badge
« on: February 03, 2011, 09:13:17 AM »
I just got my sportsman guide catalog and they have a CWP holder/concealed weapon badge for sale. Are the badges legal to have(like could they said your  impersonating a peace officer)?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: CWP badge
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:32:34 AM »
I just got my sportsman guide catalog and they have a CWP holder/concealed weapon badge for sale. Are the badges legal to have(like could they said your  impersonating a peace officer)?

I would say that is a very good possibility.   I don't think the real cops would be very amused by the tin CCW badge and would probably give you a nice set of 'bracelets' and a free ride down town.   

Click on the link for a lengthy discussion on this topic.   http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,223296.msg1099226542.html#msg1099226542
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline jimster

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 02:52:16 AM »
Well, you can't wear the badge out in the open, and it's not what you want to hand a LEO if you get pulled over, so I figure they are not good for much of anything except possibly getting into some kind of trouble, and then maybe having your CPL taken away from you.  Just my opinion, but evidently someone is making some money on these badges, and whoever it is is not too worried about the trouble it could cause you.

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:53:00 AM »
Sounds to me like the only people that would want one of these are the "cop want-a-be" types. They WILL get you in deep stinky stuff. 

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 06:46:36 AM »
About the only one I have ever seen was a sample a manufacturer had when I was on the committee to procure a new badge design for our agency a couple of years ago. Never seen one in real life though. I did one time see a private security officer one time that had a security badge from his company that had the state seal on it. Now THAT is a no-no big time and a good way to lose your license.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 04:34:16 AM »
Sportsman's Guide has these in their catalog now.  I can't imagine why anyone with a brain would want one.  But there are a lot of "cop-wannabee" types out there--just like there's lots of soldier-wannabees out there.  Both types keep entrepreneurs in business with their products.  As someone posted earlier--that CCW badge, if flashed, would in all likelihood get such a wannabee in trouble. 

Offline possume

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:48:26 AM »
well here is what happend to me and i have my permit .one day i got gas and went in to pay when i walked out before i got to my car cops swarmed me drew their guns made me get on the ground put me in cuffs and i had no clue why.but come to find out when i was pumping gas the wind blew my shirt or when i got my wallet out to get my money someone seen my gun inside my waist and called the cops.the cops told me i should have a badge near my gun where if my gun is seen it wouldnt scare anyone . the badge doesnt mean your impersonating anyone unless you flash it and say your a cop . i was told if i didnt have a bag and got into something and was holding someone at gun point when the cops got their they wouldnt know who was the good or bad guy and if i had a badge  waiving  it to them it wouldnt be a problem they would still make you put down your weapon but know you wasnt a threat

i once got pulled over for a light out and give the cop my license he went to his car but when he come back he was asking if i had any weapons and had his gun out and told me that i should have told him if i had any wepons when he aproched the first time made me get out while he got my gun out and unloaded and then he proceeded to write me a ticket

here in tn when they run your dl number it tells them that you have a permit so they know you may be armed so it best to tell them first thing you have a weapons permit

i got a badge i dont carry it all the time but the wallaet badge has come in handy i got pulled over for tail light and got out my license the officer seen badge asked if for gun permit and simply ask where gun is and ask me to unload and put on the dash and was cool about it
when they know your leagal they dont seem to be as worried about you

//////I did one time see a private security officer one time that had a security badge from his company that had the state seal on it. Now THAT is a no-no big time and a good way to lose your license. /////

my badge has my state seal on it so i dont see anything wrong with it

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 12:23:28 PM »
You are not in TX working as a private guard. Very illegal here.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 12:37:36 PM »
That "badge" is just saying shoot me first.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline possume

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
everywhere is different i guess glad i dont live in texas  if you really want to know what the law around you thinks about the badges ask them around here they recomend them at least every cop ive ask and delt with do.and i dont see how a badge says shoot me first

Offline homebuilt

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »
i've got a question. how does someone get one of these badges? do i have to "prove" that i have a cwp? or do i just send them some money and they send me a badge? if you don't have to provide a cwp to get the badge, the badge doesn't mean squat. as far as i can tell ANYBODY can buy a badge. heck, charles manson could probably send some money in and get whichever one he wants.

Offline possume

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 02:47:42 PM »
well anybody can get a badge but if you got the badge you better have the permit.or they can get you for a few things . some badges you have to have paper work for     

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 12:11:07 PM »
There are states that have statutes in place that require certified paperwork to obtain CWP badges? Huh?

Offline homebuilt

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 04:32:32 PM »
my point exactly.

Offline Brett

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 03:13:02 AM »
I'm not aware of any state that issues CCW 'badges'.  All the CCW licences/permits  I have ever seen were just a card very similar to a drivers license.   A badge sounds like a bad idea to me on so many levels.

One poster stated "i dont see how a badge says shoot me first".   I say think about it... If you are a bad guy intent on doing bad things who would you want to eliminate first before you commit the robbery or mass killing you have planned?  Maybe the cops, anyone you think may be a cop and or anyone who you think may have a gun and be able to shoot you?   Just common sence.  It's a good thing to be a sheepdog but it is sometimes advantageous to blend in with the sheep so that you can gain the upper hand on the wolves.  ;)

I'ld like to hear from some of the LEOs here at GBO.   What is SOP for investigating a "man with a gun call"  or especially a "shots fired call"?   I'm betting that in the later case it does not matter if you are waving a badge in the air, if you have your gun drawn they will have theirs out and on you and will be putting the cuffs on you until they have a clear picture of who's who and what's what.  And a mail order toy badge is not going to help matters in the last.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
Yes, the last thing you want "tactically" is anything even resembling that you may be a cop, or even may have a gun period. This is usually the primary argument against open carry. But, having lived in an open carry state, it did not seem to be a problem. Again, when I am off duty my badge comes off my belt and into the pocket of my BDU's. I could see a robber not worried about an armed civilian if they happened to see the civilian carrying a gun. But when they see a shield that calls the robber to a whole different level. When they see a badge, that connects to cop, who would be armed, thus panic mode sets in. That's when trouble starts. I don't think that it is a "wanna be cop" thing, really. Its more of managing the responsibility of having any kind of badge in public while not having a distinctive uniform. IMHO, a cwp should only be revealed when in it requested by the authorities. When a bad guy sees your badge you are not the casual person that happens to be in the same place. In this persons mind you are the narc or detective that has been on his heels since his last crime..... 

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 06:06:19 AM »
conceal your weapon and then wave a flag saying you have one... 

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 06:36:20 AM »
Why don't you just get a tattoo on your forehead that says, "ME IS A GOOD GUY"  Seriously, leave the badges to those that are real cops.

Offline Brett

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 06:55:40 AM »

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 07:09:47 AM »
The badge is more camoflage to the CCW.
If you print and someone sees a badge on your belt, they think you are a cop and don't care or make a sceen that you have a gun.
I do not think I would carry one, but I can see the advantages of doing so.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 07:38:41 AM »
Keep in mind The Sportsman's Guide sells alot of items that did not sell elsewhere  ;). The badge displayed here says permit , its not the permit its a metal tag.

BTW were they on the same page as decoder rings , X-ray glasses etc. ?  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 07:41:10 AM »
If you print then the camoflage you should use is better cover not mickey mouse badges , just my thought.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 07:49:19 AM »
I agree, but windbreakers and blazers do catch gusts of wind and open unexpectedly.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 08:28:19 AM »
I agree, but windbreakers and blazers do catch gusts of wind and open unexpectedly.

My main reason for front pocket carry.

Offline rodeo kid

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »
The NRA catalog has a pretty nice double windowed case, folds shut and holds your concealed carry card on one side and your D.L. on the other. That is what I would get and forget about a badge. Just my two cents. God Bless.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 05:03:09 AM »
The NRA catalog has a pretty nice double windowed case, folds shut and holds your concealed carry card on one side and your D.L. on the other. That is what I would get and forget about a badge. Just my two cents. God Bless.
+1.
My mom gave me one for Christmas. She was very excited about it and I feel bad because I won't carry it. I started a thread similar to this one a while back, some interesting responses there as well. I'll post a link when I find it.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 05:24:42 AM »
my gun AND my permit stay hidden unless asked.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 02:21:14 PM »
I loved the Steekin bages----suits my thoughts on guns and scabbards also.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 04:46:40 PM »
Years ago I drove a Chevy Police Package demo car. Mainly to advertise their Lumina model that never really took off. Every traffic accident, problem, or incident I drove by I was flagged down. I was in my early 20's and not a public servant at the time. The car was plainly marked as a demo but just the black and white colors caused these problems. My point is, is that folks won't read a badge they will just react to the display of it.