Author Topic: Big gun vs. little gun  (Read 4506 times)

Offline GregD

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Big gun vs. little gun
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »
Probably 45 acp 230 hydra shocks  and .40 in a similar JHP, I have witnessed both of these rounds with pretty fast results with the center of mass shots, but all were multiple, two or more quick (double tap) shots. I carry a S&W 642 with the Gold Dot 135 grain for a 2". I feel comfortable with this round for up and close incidents, hopefully I can get off multiple shots to the central nervous system or the brain .
(I'm also retired LE.)

Greg

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »
It is about factors. When I worked ER/Morgue duty and a woman shot herself in the chest with a .22 pistol the bullet nicked her aorta and she died quick.  Another officer did the intake report but I was told that she changed her mind after pulling the trigger she couldn't make it to the bedroom to call 911( According to her suicide pact friend ). Bullet hit nothing else vital.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 01:40:18 PM »
Heck, why have to decide? I carry both. :)

Big Gun                                                                    Little Gun

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 04:55:53 AM »
Spirithawk, that's the way to go sometimes.  Example, if you have a big gun that's a tad slow reload, carry a smaller gun instead of a reload.  Also, a second gun is always a good idea. 

Offline GregD

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 05:34:41 AM »
Heck, why have to decide? I carry both. :)

Big Gun                                                                    Little Gun

Yep I'm with you.  After trying the retirement thing for four years, I returned to the work force (wifey is also retired and making me crazy-er) and I carry a S&W 4046 and a S&W 642.  the all steel 4046 also makes for a good club if lethal force is not required.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 07:05:58 AM »
Spirithawk, that's the way to go sometimes.  Example, if you have a big gun that's a tad slow reload, carry a smaller gun instead of a reload.  Also, a second gun is always a good idea.

I believe in being prepared. I carry both a back-up, the P-32, and a spare mag for the 9mm.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 07:13:59 AM »
I feel comfortable with my 340 PD , its a 357 mag. But when times require and dress allows  ;) i carry a 10 mm Glock as back up .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 07:44:53 AM »
That's the nice thing about smaller framed guns. You can carry them all the time, not just when dress allows.  :)

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 02:10:14 PM »
[Quote MikeInVirginia........The probability of having to shoot a person as a civilian minding his own business, is very very low.]

You've obviously never been in St.Louis. It could happen any time any where and often does. The odds depends on where a person happens to be.

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 03:07:42 PM »
If I get into a gunfight it will probably be with my Kel-tec p-32, because that it what i carry ALL of the time.  If I can make it back to my truck, then my 1911 or another bigger gun will come into play.  Here in LA it is just not practical to carry a big gun concealed when it is 101 in july.  And I am of opinion that any gun is better than no gun when the chips are down. just my .02

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 03:40:15 PM »
If I get into a gunfight it will probably be with my Kel-tec p-32, because that it what i carry ALL of the time.  If I can make it back to my truck, then my 1911 or another bigger gun will come into play.  Here in LA it is just not practical to carry a big gun concealed when it is 101 in july.  And I am of opinion that any gun is better than no gun when the chips are down. just my .02

You should check out a PF-9. Not much bigger than the P-32 and very easy to conceal but has a lot more punch. I love my P-32 but if I could only carry one it would be the PF-9.

Offline Savage

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 02:44:05 AM »
Well, we're all gamblers, so I carry a small gun (P3AT) most of the time. Guess I'm gambling I'll have all the gun I need if/when I need it. Being retired, I don't have to go into bad areas, so I don't. I am always aware of my surroundings due to years of training and experience. I'm pretty sure I've avoided some bad encounters due to that. Every once in a while my conditioned paranoia kicks in and I pack something more effective.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 01:34:59 AM »
Murphy's law.  :P :-[ :D ;D
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 04:40:16 AM »
Dang that murphy, that guy gets around more than anyone I know.  ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 06:39:24 AM »
I feel comfortable with my 340 PD , its a 357 mag. But when times require and dress allows  ;) i carry a 10 mm Glock as back up .
so far the 340 at 12 ozs has not been a problem , but then i never wore speedos  ;D

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2011, 05:57:39 AM »
He who shoots first and hits his target, laughs last.  A big gun in your pocket won't help much once you take one through the head lights...

Offline Ron/Pa.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
 My carry weapon was a RugerSp101 in 38 +P. It was mostly left in the Vehicle as it was heavy and hard to conceal. I now carry a Kel-Tec P3at and it is always with me. I use a BlackHawk pocket Holster. Light and comfy.....

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »
While in the USAF during the 90's I used to moonlite as a bouncer and bartender in several of the clubs in the ft. walton/Destin area.  During this time I witnessed several altercations involving handguns.  My experience there lead me to 2 conclusions:

1.  Under stress most people can't shoot worth a darn
2.  As soon as the gun comes out people scatter like a covey of quail

I saw more people hurt worse by knives than with anything else.

This is why I believe that a well trained individual with a little gun stands a better chance than a poorly trained person with a big gun.  I also believe that the gun in your pocket is better than any arsenal you keep in your safe when it comes to self-defence.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2011, 06:50:12 AM »
Bottom line.....my small caliber in my hand beats your large caliber in your glove box. However, with the new designs and frames, it's getting easier to carry a larger caliber so if you can..then do.  :D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2011, 09:47:48 AM »
The real bottom line is you fight different with a mouse gun. You stick it in a nose, eye socket , ear etc. You know for the bullet to get to something that will shut the attacker down you have to give it all the help you can.
The idea of standing in the street with a baby Browing going John Wayne at 20 paces is folly.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »
The real bottom line is you fight different with a mouse gun. You stick it in a nose, eye socket , ear etc. You know for the bullet to get to something that will shut the attacker down you have to give it all the help you can.
The idea of standing in the street with a baby Browing going John Wayne at 20 paces is folly.

Gee, ya think? lol

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2011, 10:16:46 AM »
I do ! how many can manage to do that while being attacked ?

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
It's been beat to death but ya have to have a gun, on your person, to be able to use it. My only point was that having a large caliber does you no good if it's too big or heavy to carry so you don't. There's some good choices available these days that allow a person to compromise size and caliber while maintaining a decent self defense load. A small gun does not always mean an under powered one. My 9mm is only a tad larger than my .32 and weighs less than 16oz fully loaded 7 + 1. I don't feel I need to stick a 9mm up your nose nor in your ear to shoot you very very dead.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2011, 03:16:13 AM »
A nine maybe not but consider over 90% of those shot with a handgun live long enough to hurt you. Most go on to live to see another day. I admit to not liking a mouse gun but agree in some cases a mouse gun may be the only option . If it is the only option one should give it all the help they can. I did not offer some idea I came up with but what is considered the best way to use the 22's, 32's, and 25's.
That said I haven't found a need for anything smaller than a Jframe . But I do like a 32 Tom Cat if the need ever came up . Its just never come up.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2011, 04:38:37 AM »
A nine maybe not but consider over 90% of those shot with a handgun live long enough to hurt you. Most go on to live to see another day. I admit to not liking a mouse gun but agree in some cases a mouse gun may be the only option . If it is the only option one should give it all the help they can. I did not offer some idea I came up with but what is considered the best way to use the 22's, 32's, and 25's.
That said I haven't found a need for anything smaller than a Jframe . But I do like a 32 Tom Cat if the need ever came up . Its just never come up.

Untill they make concealable shotguns and rifles we're stuck with handguns. As with any gun, fired in any situation, shot placement is always the key. Don't matter if you're shooting at targets, animals, or people. As far as an antagonist goes, animal or human, you don't stop shooting untill the threat is no more. One shot, instant, stops is for the movies. The reason most act iratic when attacked is because they were taken by surprise, and or, are not prepared to use their weapon if needed. Be aware, be prepared both physicly and mentaly, and the odds of surviving are increased dramaticly. That includes knowing when to draw and fire. Just having a gun ain't likely to save you. It also takes practice, knowing the law, and reading what is going on around you. Not to mention the most over looked factor....proper mind set.....kill or be killed!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2011, 07:17:29 AM »
most looking for an easy target will pass by someone who looks like they have the right mindset  ;)