Author Topic: Fowler  (Read 998 times)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Fowler
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:29:17 AM »
I've been wanting a flintlock fowler for some time now. However for various reasons I've not really been able to come up with the money for the semi-custom I really want. In the search I ended up with a 12ga new englander. And most reciently a renegade smoothbore in 56cal. I think I will probably keep the 56 and use it until I can afford the flinter ot maybe just keep it and use it forever.

Anyone have a renegade 56cal smoothbore? Would you share your loads & experiences with it. What in your opinion is it really capable of?

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Fowler
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 05:25:44 AM »
I have one but haven't really worked much with it, it really just doesn't appeal to me. It's not a fowler, it's not a shotgun, it's not a rifle, it's just a smoothbore renegade. I have fired a few loads of 3/4 ounce #6 shot over two 28 gauge wads and 50 grains of 3f Goex. Busted a few hand thrown clays with that load. I won a smoothbore competition with a .530" ball in heavy canvas patch over the same 50 grains of 3f but that was a sure thing since I was the only shooter in the smoothbore category. ;D
 28 gauge wads are a little loose in the .560" bore but are the best fit you can find. I'd recommend using a card over powder followed by a 1/2" fiber wad under the shot. I normally don't bother with a fiber wad but since the cards are rather loose I used the fiber wad to get a better gas seal.
 The New Englander is a durn good shotgun. I have no use for the screw in choke tubes but the cylinder bore or jug choked cylinder bore is a nice handy little shotgun.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:14:36 AM »
I had one just this last year an let'er go, I wanted a smoothy mainly for clays at informal vous' and the little 56 was quite enough for a reliable "bust" on caly pidgeon. I guess I didn't spend much more than a month with it, and followed TC's recomendations for loading as follows;
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR SHOT LOAD
This load was developed for the .56 Cal Renegade Smoothbore
and must be used as described. STEP ONE: Set your
powder measure for 80 grains of FFG. Fill the measure with
powder and pour it into the muzzle. STEP TWO: Seat one
.56 Cal T/C wad firmly against the powder charge. STEP
THREE: Reset your powder measure for 60 grains of powder.
At this setting the measure will hold approximately 7/8 ounces
of shot. Fill the measure with #6 or #7 1/2 shot and pour it
into the muzzle. STEP FOUR: Seat one .56 Cal T/C wad
firmly against the shot charge. Follow all of the loading and
safety precautions listed in this booklet. USE THIS LOAD
WITH SPECIAL .56 CALIBER T/C WADS ONLY. SEE
DRAWING ON RIGHT!

I used 28ga lubbed fiber wad from Track for OP (two) and cut my own over shot card with an anvil punch from cerel boxes. I did keep the same shot charge but IIRC dropped the powder charge down to around 65-70 and the groups where nice (no dougnut), but it still didn't suit my needs. I found a 20 ga that dropped on my Ren stock and am much happier.
found elsewhere

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 03:57:54 AM »
Yes necchi, the 20ga would be my first choice. But I like 28ga too. I would imagine in the ML you lose some preformace with the 28ga. I'll try it anyway.

Thanks for the load info.
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline lefty41

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »
I have used my .56 at informal shoots and one club shoot at 25 yds. Used .535 PRB w/018 ticking and 60 grains of Goex FFFg. Groups (shot off hand) were very acceptable if I did my part. This spring I want to try out the scattergun capabilities.
Jerry Miller (lefty41)
"In God we trust"

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 07:56:02 PM »
Think I'll bump this up & see if anyone else has a comment on the subject.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Higene

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:55:41 PM »
I have been looking for a BP shotgun for a long time and finally scored a Jackie Brown flintlock 20 gauge.

I have just started working with it but am real happy with the gun so far.

Here is a link that helped me a lot.

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »
Does Jackie Brown sign the top flat of the barrel "J. Brown" in script? 
Reason I ask is because I have a French fusil a friend sent me to do some work on and it has such a signature.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Higene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »
He signed the right flat (as You say) on mine and confirmed it via e-mail.

He responds to posts and e-mails on Historical Trecking.

Higene

;)

Offline silly goose

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »
Strictly my opinion, It will do fine for rabbits and other small game out to 25 yds from the patterning I have done.  I use 24 ga wads in mine.  I haven't used it on game yet, but patterns indicate that a rabbit, which is my primary small game, will be hurting at 25 yds with #6s.  I have a  .62 cal fowler that I really like. The .56 renegade is no fowler but will get the job done.  My fowler just feels "right" in my hands.  My renegade is up for sale, but I don't have a problem hanging onto it either, someone local may want a start at bp shotgunning, and it would be perfect.  I had a couple new englanders, great guns, but tough on rabbits, and too much like a modern single shot for my liking.  I forget now what loads I patterned in the .56, but it certainly wasn't anything heavy, maybe 60gr ffg, and same of #6's.  Good luck, I think you'll be pleased. 

Offline Higene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »