Author Topic: So...what do "conservatives" think should be done about health care?  (Read 13557 times)

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
Re: So...what do "conservatives" think should be done about health care?
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »
Exxon-Mobile and all other oil companies in the USA enjoy something called a "depletion allowance."  It's a 15% tax break off their gross income. Off the top. . . .  How can you guys justify believing down-and-out Americans should be sent home from hospitals to die because they don't have insurance or money to pay their bill when the richest men and companies in the world get untold trillions in tax breaks?  Do you guys look at yourselves in the mirror?  Do you guys know there but for fortune go you?

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Tax breaks. Liberal parasite thieves will stop at nothing in making their theft of others property sound less criminal.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »
Your pals have had control for the past 6 years. Why didnt they do anything about that oil company entitlement? I guess they were too busy with more important things like banning light bulbs and controlling the volume of TV commercials and worrying about how much water your toilet uses per flush
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2011, 01:36:46 PM »
Exxon-Mobile and all other oil companies in the USA enjoy something called a "depletion allowance."  It's a 15% tax break off their gross income. Off the top. . . .  How can you guys justify believing down-and-out Americans should be sent home from hospitals to die because they don't have insurance or money to pay their bill when the richest men and companies in the world get untold trillions in tax breaks?  Do you guys look at yourselves in the mirror?  Do you guys know there but for fortune go you?

Why do you assume that anyone that does not support socialized medicine is also a champion of Big Oil?
held fast

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2011, 01:37:40 PM »
Your pals have had control for the past 6 years. Why didnt they do anything about that oil company entitlement? I guess they were too busy with more important things like banning light bulbs and controlling the volume of TV commercials and worrying about how much water your toilet uses per flush
Wow.  Flushing a toilet is more important to you than human lives.

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »

Why do you assume that anyone that does not support socialized medicine is also a champion of Big Oil?
So a huge tax break to huge oil is more important to you than human lives?

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2011, 01:50:15 PM »

yawn.....
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »
Huey Long.  Ever heard of him?  He proposed a 5¢ per barrel tax on oil produced in Louisiana mostly by Standard Oil and to be used to mostly gravel the mostly dirt roads in Louisiana and to provide free school books for Louisiana kids.   Standard Oil is now Exxon-Mobile.  Reckon Huey's 5¢ hurt them?

Exxon-Mobile recently bought another, smaller oil company for $30 billion in cash.  Cash.  No bank note.  Cash.   No money down and the balance in 90 days.  Cash.  $30 billion.  Why should they get 15% off the top?

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2011, 02:02:40 PM »

So a huge tax break to huge oil is more important to you than human lives?

Why do you assume that a huge tax break to huge oil is more important to me than human lives?

I didn't realize that those 2 issues were so mutually dependent. Is it possible, I invite you to consider, that one could be interested in reforming government involvement with big oil as well as health care reform, and not be in favor of socialized medicine? Is that a possiblity in your cosmology? You really present no logical connection between the two issues which should compel me to think that I have to be pro-Oil if I'm opposed to social medicine.
held fast

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2011, 02:06:36 PM »
obamacare is clearly unconstitutional. Other than reform of the regs that force health care costs up, the government needs to stay out.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2011, 02:13:21 PM »

flushing a toilet  is  more important

than the life of a welfare recitient
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2011, 03:18:27 PM »

flushing a toilet  is  more important

than the life of a welfare recitient
May God have mercy on you when you stand before the Pearly Gates.

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2011, 03:38:02 PM »
obamacare is clearly unconstitutional. Other than reform of the regs that force health care costs up, the government needs to stay out.

What specifically do you find unconstitutional about it?

Here are the arguments making their wat through the courts...

http://healthcarereform.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001443
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2011, 03:47:44 PM »
Well so far 2 judges and several states attorney generals have found it to be unconstitutional in that it requires a citizen to engage in interstate commerce.
held fast

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »

The government forcing people to buy a product. There is no provision to support this concept.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline scootrd

« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »

The government forcing people to buy a product. There is no provision to support this concept.
actually there is

Constitutionality

"The Constitution gives Congress the power to tax and spend money for the general welfare. This tax [PPACA] promotes the general welfare because it makes health care more widely available and affordable. Under existing law, therefore, the tax is clearly constitutional...

Many important and popular government programs are based [on] Congress's ability to give incentives through taxation and redistribute tax revenues for public purposes. To strike down the individual mandate the Supreme Court would have to undermine many years of precedents justifying these programs that stretch back to the New Deal (and in the case of the rules for direct taxes, to the very founding of the country).

Opponents of the individual mandate insist that they are only defending individual freedom, but they are actually taking a far more radical position. They are really claiming that it is unconstitutional to make Americans pay taxes."

Jack M. Balkin, JD, PhD
Knight Professor of Constitutional Law and the First Amendment at Yale Law School
"Is the Health Care Law Unconstitutional?,"  New York Times,
Mar. 28, 2010
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2011, 04:08:20 PM »
I guess I can get my 2cents in here, huh?

There is no "simple" solution to providing health care to all Americans, but you all have come up with better ideas than congress ever thought of.   Start by getting government COMPLETELY out of health care.  Vote them ALL out next election.   The longer they are in office, the more they smell.

Every year my wife and I are given the option of another MRI (that we don't need) just because we have good insurance.  We have paid this insurance 100%.  We pay it out of our earnings as employees working for someone else.  Those MRI devices have to be paid for and the way to pay for them is to keep them staffed and running as much as possible, not unlike a CNC machining center.

Twenty five years ago we din't need no stinkin' MRIs.   Hardly ever.  The list of medical equipment is endless.   Once my doctor told me I needed a kidney scan.  I asked him what I would expect to gain from it and he said "Probably nothing".   I opted out.

As far as quality of care goes,  if you want the best quality available, get your money ready or be a congressman.   Just 'cause I want to drive a Caddy doesn't mean someone owes me one.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »
So it's ok to steal if you are givingit to what your parasitic group considers a good cause?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »
Given the logic of this PHD, the government can tax 100% of our income. In additon, the heath care program is not a tax. They are forcing us to buy a product from an insurance company. Its unconstitutional and there is no presidance at this level, period. Those who make excuses that this is constitutional are simply those that what the program in place.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline scootrd

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2011, 04:24:55 PM »
It will be interesting to see how the Higher courts interpret the Interstate commerce clause -  which lays at the heart of the matter.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
Probably the first time a Yale Law professor and a Harvard Law professor both agree the Govt is on solid footing.

Given the logic of this PHD, the government can tax 100% of our income. In additon, the heath care program is not a tax. They are forcing us to buy a product from an insurance company. Its unconstitutional and there is no presidance at this level, period. Those who make excuses that this is constitutional are simply those that what the program in place.

The question is does Congress have power to regulate the national health care market under its power to regulate interstate commerce. Yes, easily, says Harvard Law Professor Laurence Tribe,

Would requiring individuals to buy insurance, or if they don't buy to pay a tax penalty, be "necessary and proper" to making this particular effort at health insurance regulation work. Clearly yes, says Tribe, who explains:

"The justices aren’t likely to be misled by the reasoning that prompted two of the four federal courts that have ruled on this legislation to invalidate it on the theory that Congress is entitled to regulate only economic 'activity,' not 'inactivity,' like the decision not to purchase insurance. This distinction is illusory. Individuals who don’t purchase insurance they can afford have made a choice to take a free ride on the health care system. They know that if they need emergency-room care that they can’t pay for, the public will pick up the tab. This conscious choice carries serious economic consequences for the national health care market, which makes it a proper subject for federal regulation.

"Even if the interstate commerce clause did not suffice to uphold mandatory insurance, the even broader power of Congress to impose taxes would surely do so. After all, the individual mandate is enforced through taxation, even if supporters have been reluctant to point that out."

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2011, 05:13:11 PM »
Is it okay to just say "Screw congress,  I'm not going to go along with it", or is that just a bit too......Patriotic?
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2011, 06:23:43 PM »
Probably the first time a Yale Law professor and a Harvard Law professor both agree the Govt is on solid footing.

The question is does Congress have power to regulate the national health care market under its power to regulate interstate commerce. Yes, easily, says Harvard Law Professor Laurence Tribe,

Would requiring individuals to buy insurance, or if they don't buy to pay a tax penalty, be "necessary and proper" to making this particular effort at health insurance regulation work. Clearly yes, says Tribe, who explains:

"The justices aren’t likely to be misled by the reasoning that prompted two of the four federal courts that have ruled on this legislation to invalidate it on the theory that Congress is entitled to regulate only economic 'activity,' not 'inactivity,' like the decision not to purchase insurance. This distinction is illusory. Individuals who don’t purchase insurance they can afford have made a choice to take a free ride on the health care system. They know that if they need emergency-room care that they can’t pay for, the public will pick up the tab. This conscious choice carries serious economic consequences for the national health care market, which makes it a proper subject for federal regulation.

"Even if the interstate commerce clause did not suffice to uphold mandatory insurance, the even broader power of Congress to impose taxes would surely do so. After all, the individual mandate is enforced through taxation, even if supporters have been reluctant to point that out."

Like I said, according to Tribe's logic, congress can then compell the American people to buy anything in any amount. You can extend Tribe's logic to car ownership. If every American was forced to buy a car, the cost of cars would go down because the car manufactures could produce them in higher volume/lower cost. All car owners would benefit and the country would be better off. Tribe's argument has no boundies. That is the flaw in his logic. The question we as Americans have to ask is: When does government intervention in our lives and pocket books end? Apparently with Tribe, it has no end. We are going the way of Europe, the very concept that this country (USA) was trying to get away from.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2011, 02:45:08 AM »
We ran on a market economy, especially before the gold standard was dropped, and it worked well, especially with small business.  Congress is to "regulate" the interstate commerce, not dominate, or take over the business.  I think congress allowed too many oil companies to merge in the name of international competition.  I remember about 10 differrent gas stations when I grew up.  Texaco, Amoco, Gulf, Sinclair, Esso, Standard, Phillips 66, Union 76, Pure, are just a few in my small hometown.  With giant mergers, there are only a few big ones.  Still small independent station, but they buy their gasoline from one of the big boy's.  Smaller companies will allow more competition, and cost savings.  The bigger a company gets the more bureaucratic it becomes and the more distant it is from it's customers.  Walmart put out of business a lot of small home town shop owners.  I work for a natural gas utitility of which there are 50,000 in the US alone.  Only have of them are part of the American Gas Association, and we can't get the oil companies to put compressor units at their gas stations to sell CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) to the public.  T Boone Pickens has about 80 something stations he built in Texas, but getting people to buy or convert their vehicles has been an uphill battle.  Only fleets have so far converted.  You can order a CNG/gasoline dual fuel truck from Ford or GM for only about $2,000 more than a standard truck, but the fuel is cleaner, and makes the engines last longer, and CNG is about $1.35 per gallon right now.  Something is wrong here.  A CNG only vehicle off the assembly line is the same price as a gasoline.  CNG doesn't use a catylitic converter but requires a high pressure cylinder like oxygen or acetyline for storage. 

Back to health care, competition by insurance companies across state lines would allow for Federal regulation of the insurance companies.  They could regulate their profits and services at that point. 

Offline jimster

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2011, 02:55:11 AM »
The question "what do "conservatives" think should be done about health care?" kind of points me in a different direction...just why would anyone think a "liberal" could GET anyone health care in the first place?  Example...2500 page HC bill passes...nobody has a damn thing they did not have before...and IF there are really people dropping dead in the streets (myth)...they of course still would be even though we just passed a bill.  The 2500 page monster fixed nothing, in fact, made things much worse.  Caring a lot is great...making things worse because you care so much is dumb.

I would have to say no matter what "should" be done about health care...the left wing would only make things worse with anything they pass....proof is already out there on this, they have wrecked entire races with all their "help" and and legislation so far, including bankrupting our country, because they care so much.   

So why not do nothing instead of hurrying up and making things worse? Think it out!
My question would be..."Why does anyone thinnks we need to do anything about health care if it makes things worse, or we can't afford it anyway?"  If you give the left wing enough rope they will kill us all including the ones they say they want to help...in the name of humanity of course.

Offline magooch

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2011, 05:03:08 AM »
It seems to me that whatever is done to, or about health-care, a test model should first be tried to see just how well it works, or an already working model should be selected and studied to see what makes it work.  I believe there are several examples that work pretty well and even though some people think that HMO's are not the right model, some do in fact work very well. 

In the end, there must be choice and competition and yes, even some charity.  Sort of what we already had, but with a lot less waste, fraud and abuse.
Swingem

Offline scootrd

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2011, 07:27:18 AM »
Scoot wrote:

That's a good point.  Why should I be compelled to pay higher rates to subsidize those that opt out of HC insurance, or that use high costs Emegr Rooms, skip out on bills, etc....when they should pay up?  Why should I also be forced to subsidize thru taxation 'socialized medicine' for special groups.....home duty mil, veterans, various governmnet ex-employees, etc. when the private sector is considered better and cheaper, and Constitutional?  IF one desires government out of HC, and the Constitution says keep out....then they must want Governmnet entirely out of HC in every way.

..TM7

Here is the hurdle on the implementation side the way it is written now :

How Play Or Pay Will Work for the Individual

Every individual with a household income greater than 138% of the poverty level2 will be required to enroll in a healthcare plan with minimum essential coverage or pay a penalty to the IRS. Thus, if the individual plays and enrolls in a qualifying health insurance plan (presumably one offered by their employer or from an exchange), he or she won't have to pay a penalty. Assuming an employer requires their employees to pay 27% of insurance premium costs, the average primary wage earner uses between $2,000 - $4,000 per year of their income for insurance coverage. If that wage earner chooses not to play by refusing to participate in healthcare coverage, the penalty is comparatively small -- from $95 in 2014 to $695 in 2016. It's fair to be concerned that younger and healthy persons will decline to participate, and instead, pay the penalty, until such time as they believe they will actually need such health care coverage.

I guess I just don't understand the whole Opposition surrounding.
All I have read on topics regarding new health care plan on this forum regarding  -  is people need to take responsibility for their own. No welfare , no free ride .

As a fiscal conservative (admittedly a bit more liberal on social issues) I see it as a golden opportunity win win. Insurance Co's get more customers , Responsible people are not saddled with higher premiums because of deadbeats who use the system but don't pay and no one gets a free ride. Now there are parts of this plan I do  disagree with but there are parts I also like.
I do like the fact children can stay on parents plan longer .
I do like the fact you cannot be denied for a pre-existing condition.
I do like the fact you cannot be dropped on a whim by your insurance Co. just because you contract an expensive disease like cancer for instance after paying your premiums faithfully for years.

C4,
I enjoy reading your posts , and am very open mided. Since you are staunchly opposed to the new Heathcare plan perhaps you can share your thoughts further.

What is it specifically I am missing that you vehemently dislike about the plan?

Personally I think they should not throw the whole baby out with the bathwater. Keep the good parts , work together to reach compromise on the parts that need adjusting.  -JMHO

One thing both sides of the isle agree upon is as it is implemented today Healthcare in America (whether Private or Federal subsidized ie: (Medicare/Medicaid) costs will become unsustainable for most all Americans in the future.

The CBO’s projections already have reported that any absence of changes in federal law:

Total spending on health care would rise from 16 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2007 to 25 percent in 2025, 37 percent in 2050, and 49 percent in 2082.

Federal spending on Medicare (net of beneficiaries’ premiums) and Medicaid would rise from 4 percent of GDP in 2007 to 7 percent in 2025, 12 percent in 2050, and 19 percent in 2082.

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2011, 08:18:33 AM »
We have a Reverand commenting on this important Health of Americans topic, also a government employee; and I am wondering from The Logos viewpoint how a proper moral HC system should operate.

I'm guessing that's me you're referring to. I suggested earlier from the Logos perspective that charity is the work of the Church not the State, and always has been. Christ did not lobby Rome to create adequate HC for the impoverished. Instead he gave the parable of the Good Samaritan to his disciples, someone who helped another who required health care. The parable here indicates that it is a personal responsiblity. When the government takes that responsibility away from you, and instead taxes you to provide on your behalf the charity Christ taught, then we are institutionalizing a "theocractic" notion which is not the Kingdom of Heaven principle.

How would a proper moral HC system look?
- The present system needs attention, no denying that. I don't pretend to understand all the issues there, I usually operate more on principle to create limits as to which actions are appropriate. So yes, HC reform from all perspectives to insure that we're not saddling our practitioners with usury and disproportionate malpractice insurance to protect them from quack lawyers. I think legal reform would do a lot to take the burden off the practitioners who by and large did not go into medicine for the money, but out of a genuine desire to help people. Sounds like a moral bunch to me, lets give them the benefit of the doubt - I am speaking of practitioners. The collateral business in pharmacology, etc. are in fact in it to make $. I don't fault them there, but I expect them to play on the same field as everyone else and get no special treatment by Govt.
- Of the uninsured we can first divide them into citizens, and non-citizens. Government is only accountable to/for its ctizenry, so any action it takes in entitlements must be restricted to that. But I see no need for their involvement.
- Of the uninsured citizenry, we can divide them into those with access to any form of HC insurance, and those that do not. According to the Congressional statistics used in this legistlation, 85% of uninsured citizens have access to a HC plan through work. This includes those who have lost their jobs who are offered extended coverage with severance, or COBRA, or some other means. That leaves 15% of the uninsured citizenry without access to a HC insurance plan.
- My solution to the 15% (and probably even a good portion of the non-citizens who might need emergency care) is to free up the non-profit, not-for-profit, charitable (faith based our otherwise) to engage in medical provision. Increase the cap on charitable donations for individuals and corporations, specifically to US based and US operating non-profits. Given the huge outpouring of private and corporate giving to Haiti, et al, even during a recession, I have faith in my fellow American that we can take care of those 15% adequately, and perhaps even with a little more personal concern.

I believe that is in keeping both with the moral mandate to love our neighbors as ourselves, and with those rights endowed by our Creator from which the liberties protected by the Constitution arise.
held fast

Offline scootrd

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »
According to the Congressional statistics used in this legistlation, 85% of uninsured citizens have access to a HC plan through work. This includes those who have lost their jobs who are offered extended coverage with severance, or COBRA, or some other means.

Have you priced the costs of COBRA insurance premiums nowadays.. What a farce.  Unemployed people cannot afford to pay for Cobra. Only about 10 % of all laid off workers can even begin to consider COBRA let alone any other option.

Congressional statistics wants to use an 85% figure  -  here's one . The average national premium cost for family COBRA coverage gobbles up nearly 84 percent of average unemployment benefits and if the Congressional statistics office needs me to cite the study to them I'll be happy too .

Hmmm lets see pay the mortgage , or pay Insurance ...either way no groceries, heat , power , etc..
Companies offer COBRA to laid off workers only because the GOVT reimburses employers for this cost
through their income tax filings.

recently Edited to add

Sorry I stand corrected its not 84%  - I did a quick Google COBRA consume 83.6 to 84.1 .
Congressional statistics can stick it where the Sun don't shine.

Here's a good read

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/triage/2009/01/cobra-unafforda.html

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2011, 10:20:48 AM »
Have you checked COBRA lately ? business pays up to 85% and govt pays it back . The ex employee pays 15% . When we laid off workers some with family plans paid less for insurance coupled with unemployment benifits got about as much as when working and made little effort to find a job until insurance ran out . Most business people will opt to pay the fine and let workers pay for govt insurance plans. Its all about cost. Next time there is a lay off the workers will still pay so where is the benifit ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !