Author Topic: Information regarding "morko".  (Read 1206 times)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Information regarding "morko".
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:05:25 PM »
Has anyone produced anything new in the way of history since I left last August?  I'd like to continue my research.  What I had in my melted computer, was recovered; so I have all of my images. I put  alot of work into research and rewrote a bit of history, where it was incorrect. I'd like to be able to do more.
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Information regarding "morko".
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 05:50:36 PM »
Nothing new that I have seen.  There may have been something published on the Company of Military Collectors and Historians web site but I don't go there very often.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:46:16 AM »
Thanks George. I'll have to mosey over there tonight for a look-see.  Today I am working on stuffing 40 pounds of sausage, now that I have the utility room back  to work in and a freezer to store it in.  I rigged a new smoke shack to.  Next week is a big mess of Pulled Pork week.  I'm in the groove.

Richard The "Kielbasa Kid"

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 12:53:55 PM »
Ahhhh sausage!  I'll never forget Robert Gestalker, an artist by trade, who taught me how to make bratwurst - he was a sniper who had 26 confirmed kills on the Eastern Front. 

I hope yours turns out as well!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »
I'd like to see you proceed with your research , I found it very interesting .
I would like to see it compiled into a readable format at some point .
Gary

Your thoughts in a readable format not necessarily the writing itself ,but that would be cool too .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 03:27:46 PM »
Gary: That's what I have in mind.  An all in one place progress and justification report, e.g. the devil's head with graphic examples.  I was thrilled when I doped it out since none of the experts had any answers but then, I'm a Criminal Investigator and I usually know where the back door is to get inside a problem. 8)   You and I have artist's eyes and we can see past the scribble.  Jackson Pollack beats me though.  :P

I'd like DD to lock it when the time comes, to keep it pure reading history but that's in the near future.  Maybe he can run a parallel one that first offers room for comments but then lock what's new in a file :-\

My computer took a dive when the line shorted with my wife  today and I thought I lost everything. I'm going to burn a CD with what I have on file tonight before kaa-kaa happens. :'( 

$11,000+ for the electrician and we are still having electric shorts.  It was a short that burned our home too.  My sausage making is also on hold since that circut shorted too.  >:(

Tim: I've had 3 confirmed kills (with my sausage :-X) on the Northern Front. ::) Here's an installation I named, "The Eastern Front". ;)

rc

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
Tim: Which side was he on :-\

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 04:02:01 PM »
Tim: Which side was he on :-\

The hint is that his father was a professor of art at one of the larger German universities.  When Robert stated his intentions on becoming an artist, his father made him learn the trade of being a house painter - mixing pigments and paint and such - so that as an artist he wouldn't starve!  It served him well.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »
Gary: That's what I have in mind.  An all in one place progress and justification report, e.g. the devil's head with graphic examples.  I was thrilled when I doped it out since none of the experts had any answers but then, I'm a Criminal Investigator and I usually know where the back door is to get inside a problem. 8)   You and I have artist's eyes and we can see past the scribble.  Jackson Pollack beats me though.  :P

I'd like DD to lock it when the time comes, to keep it pure reading history but that's in the near future.  Maybe he can run a parallel one that first offers room for comments but then lock what's new in a file :-\

My computer took a dive when the line shorted with my wife  today and I thought I lost everything. I'm going to burn a CD with what I have on file tonight before kaa-kaa happens. :'( 

$11,000+ for the electrician and we are still having electric shorts.  It was a short that burned our home too.  My sausage making is also on hold since that circut shorted too.  >:(

Tim: I've had 3 confirmed kills (with my sausage :-X) on the Northern Front. ::) Here's an installation I named, "The Eastern Front". ;)

rc

I can lock it, but I am reluctant to do so.  It prevents any further input even from the original poster and it prevents others who have additional from contributing  If you request I will lock it and put a link in the reference section so it can be found.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:03:25 PM »
Tim: Adolf had the same training.  Must be ethnic? 

My daughter was in college as a fine art major.  I told her to have a good Plan "B" because starving artist isn't an expression; it's a way of life.  She didn't listen.  Now twenty years later, she has been unemployed for 21 months without benefits.

Doug: what I am saying is........have a Morko open thread as we have it now for ongoing exchange but when something becomes worthy of being etched in stone, slip it into a locked thread which I can add to as required. Like a treatise.  Then it can be read by interested parties, without chatter and interruptions. Kapish?  My master plan is to ask Dan to translate it into Svensk.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 07:18:12 PM »
Tim: Adolf had the same training.  Must be ethnic? 

My daughter was in college as a fine art major.  I told her to have a good Plan "B" because starving artist isn't an expression; it's a way of life.  She didn't listen.  Now twenty years later, she has been unemployed for 21 months without benefits.

Doug: what I am saying is........have a Morko open thread as we have it now for ongoing exchange but when something becomes worthy of being etched in stone, slip it into a locked thread which I can add to as required. Like a treatise.  Then it can be read by interested parties, without chatter and interruptions. Kapish?  My master plan is to ask Dan to translate it into Svensk.

Sounds like a plan to me.

The plan is good the execution may not be. We'll try.

I think with the new soft configuration I might be able to do it.

We can lock a master post up.

We can open a discussion post.

When  a particular post in the discussion is identified that is worthy of the master  post then the post can be split out and then merged with the other post.

The merge function is a new function that I haven't had a chance to use yet.  I am going to try it on some of these post where someone post a new  discussion related to another active discussion.   

Sounds like a bunch of work for the moderator.  Maybe I should put in for a pay raise or reserved parking in the GBO parking lot.

...let me sleep on

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 03:34:44 AM »
DD,
It sounds like bonus time!  I suspect you will get the usual. :P
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 02:40:24 PM »
I think Richard and I am going to make a series of web pages for this.  I'll post an update after we have decided exactly what will happen.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 12:29:38 PM »
I think Richard and I am going to make a series of web pages for this.

This project is underway but not yet ready for viewing.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 12:46:01 PM »
I can't wait .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »
Youse ain't the only one Gary.

RRC

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 03:17:50 PM »
I'm all eyes, RC; just a sittin' and a waitin' for the curtain to rise. :)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »
While at Seacoast to day I got to see Garys bronze work.  I have always admired Gary work, both his creativity and his artistry. I saw his other cannons and mortar and they are fantastic,  Gary is an artisan.

I thought his Morko project was very interesting especially sending it off to Sweden and getting it photographed with the real  Marko.  That must have made Gary very proud.  The hand gonnes never have really interested me.  Morko and the tiller Gary made for it were pleasant to look at but looking at the pictures, it was just not somethimg that really got me fired up.

I got to handle  Morko today...I have a new impression of  Morko.  It is a heavy duty piece of weaponry...well done Gary.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »
It's true that you don't appreciate the heft of it until you have it in your hands! 

I'm looking forward to seeing the web pages as well.  Is it to be all the information that has already appeared on this board, just organized, or will new information be presented?

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »
Andy: you'll have to see it. I wrote it to encompass what was done and how to go about doing it, should anyone wish to improve upon my work. Some new, some old but put in a literate order.

There are many pit-falls in the mechanics of translation but I explained where they are.

Morko is less of a handgun, than it is a statement.  Morko is more of a personal body tattoo than it is a handgun. Almost any man could have a handgun but only one man had this morko.

It was an extension of his personality; his psyche.  His body was in the 14th and 15th centuries but his heart and mind were not.

There are extant examples of bronze handguns in European museums from 1350.  I read that the Black Death of 1349-1350 , destroyed half of the Swedish population. This was a time for doubt and to rethink. One might question if ones faith was serving them.

The years immediately following, harboured bloody conflicts, political and religious turmoil and chaos. The original owner had a strong personality and overly strong personal convictions which he openly held on to and advertised, during a Christian era. He was not a slave to convention.  I would say that he was a, "Man's Man". An action hero.
Morko Man. 8)

RRC

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 10:41:36 AM »
Perhaps we should contact Hasbro to see if they'd like to make a Morko Man action figure - it could include a Miniature Morko to match his scale!

Sorry - the Action Hero - Morko Man thing kind of struck me that way! ;D

The pages sound more interesting now, given a few additional details!  Should be a really cool resource.  May be nice to link them to wikipedia and other handgonne resources.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »
See the new Morko Interpretive Web Site thread for details.
GG
--Winston Churchill