Author Topic: .75" Cal. Breach loader from Dom.  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Lee1966

• Trade Count: (0)
.75" Cal. Breach loader from Dom.
« on: February 04, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »
I got my .75" Cal. Breach loader cannon. Dom sent it to me in the white as I was going to Parkerize it. When I got it I went out to my shop to find my Jug of Parkerizing solution was empty. So I painted it. Thank you for a Very cool cannon Dom. Now I need a .735" mold for the breach loader. Lyman 2645735 .735 Round Ball Mould. Found it at here: http://www.opticsplanet.net/lyman-round-ball-moulds.html   Till I get a mold dose anyone here have 50 to 100 .735" lead balls I can buy from them? Please do let me know.

Offline lance

Re: .75" Cal. Breach loader from Dom.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 01:53:06 PM »
That is a COOL cannon!!! i think Dom has won more KEWPIE awards than anyone......... :)
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 04:35:33 AM »
I'll be interested in seeing some smoke and fire from this one !

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline lance

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 03:02:06 PM »
I guess this forum has changed...............i remember when someone would post a pic of a cool cannon or mortar, and all kinds of people would make a comment, now it's very few people that say few words. What's the matter with people? are they turning into sissies and scared to talk?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 05:22:30 PM »
Maybe Tim Gary and I are the only ones that like it....

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:42:19 PM »
looks good, does the wedge in the breach have a safety pin? I have always read that those style cannons where killers, if you didnt hammer the wedge in all the way. it would fly out hitting the gunner. but at 75 cal. i guess it would be ok, looks like a complicated project. good job. maybe someday i will try something like that.. but out of my reach right now.   is it a two peice tube? or did you bore out the breach section ? then mill it? or is it a sleave slid over the barrel?
  thanks rick bryan

Offline Lee1966

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 06:43:23 PM »
I am going to go shoot it very soon. I got some lead balls that are about .738" diameter. Due to some spendy repairs to my truck, the mold has to wait till 3/1/11. I need to take some pictures of it just firing blanks. Trust me this thing has a Very Big Boom. I need to get my son outside with me to take some pictures.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 07:56:24 PM »
Great looking build. Congrats!

This should be a hoot to shoot.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:52:56 PM »
 I agree with the others, very cool looking cannon! Dom has outdid himself again! Looking forward to seeing it fire! Have to agree with Lance, seems fewer guys around these days, maybe their all snowed under? ::) Maybe better weather will get more of us out and more action! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline lance

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 07:21:06 AM »
I admit, i'm a big fan of Dom's work!!! ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »
I guess this forum has changed...............i remember when someone would post a pic of a cool cannon or mortar, and all kinds of people would make a comment, now it's very few people that say few words. What's the matter with people? are they turning into sissies and scared to talk?

You will see over time that there is an ebb and flow.  Sometimes folks are very vocal, sometimes needful of discipline (fortunately not often), and sometimes there are quiet spells.

I watch to see how many members and guests are on.  Of late there have been a dozen guests on every time I logon.  New names pop up.  And after a period they participate.

Over time, there are folks that will participate for a year or three, and come back after a leave of absence.

Our interests drift - our reasons for participating change.  If we, as a board, meet technical and social needs of the participants we're doin' OK.  (With a nickle or two to keep up Graybeards hosting.)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline lance

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 02:42:04 PM »

You will see over time that there is an ebb and flow.  Sometimes folks are very vocal, sometimes needful of discipline (fortunately not often), and sometimes there are quiet spells.

I watch to see how many members and guests are on.  Of late there have been a dozen guests on every time I logon.  New names pop up.  And after a period they participate.

Over time, there are folks that will participate for a year or three, and come back after a leave of absence.

Our interests drift - our reasons for participating change.  If we, as a board, meet technical and social needs of the participants we're doin' OK.  (With a nickle or two to keep up Graybeards hosting.)
You just wrote that because you get to fly in the Graybeard company jet................. :)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Yea, right.
GBO Company Jet - I have the feeling that Bill (Graybeard) lives as close to the end of the month as any of us.   ;)
He will, after reading this, double my salary (and DD's).
It happens EVERY year! 

12 members 18 guests participating in the forum now.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 01:59:33 AM »
looks good, does the wedge in the breach have a safety pin? I have always read that those style cannons where killers, if you didnt hammer the wedge in all the way. it would fly out hitting the gunner. but at 75 cal. i guess it would be ok, looks like a complicated project. good job. maybe someday i will try something like that.. but out of my reach right now.   is it a two peice tube? or did you bore out the breach section ? then mill it? or is it a sleave slid over the barrel?
  thanks rick bryan

Rick,  I think you are referring to the wheel chock type vertical wedges used on some of the early breechloaders.  I make the wedge with on a few thousands taper so the mechanical advantage can't be overcome by the recoil of the breech block. The wedge only needs to be set by hand with moderate pressure.
It is a two piece tube.  I pressed the outer sleeve over the front tube.  I don't own a milling machine so I cut the center out of the trunnion tube with by drilling 4 holes and using a 4 1/2" cut-off wheel.  Dom

Lance, Boomlover, Ex49'er.  Thanks for the compliments!  Dom

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »
cools, you have done a great job, it looks great, I really like the enginuity that you have used to make the gun. what is your tolerance of the peices that you press together?   
    I like it,

rick bryan