Author Topic: Bullets Cold Welding to Case Problem  (Read 967 times)

Offline ShootnStr8

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Bullets Cold Welding to Case Problem
« on: February 05, 2011, 01:42:33 PM »
I was pulling bullets from 7mm Mauser ammo that I loaded about 8 years ago.  A number of 140 Ballistic Tips were cold welded to the case from galvanic corrosion.  The same was true with some of the Speers.  The forced needed to pull the bullet was considerable.  If I would have shot them from that old model 93 action I doubt if it would have held. 

My current thought is that the water soluble RCBS case lube is the culprit.  I’m thinking that using water soluble anything on ammo is asking for trouble so I bought some Imperial sizing wax.  I used it this evening and it seems to be good stuff.   

Have you dealt with this problem?  Do you have ideas how to prevent this?

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Re: Bullets Cold Welding to Case Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »
Haven't had that problem but have loaded most of my ammo with One Shot case lube from Hornady. Just shot up some 1999 reloaded rifle ammo with no problems. I have some 1983 loaded 9mm that I can't remember using any lube on whatsoever and have no problems with those either.

I'm sure you identified the problem. All I could think of other than than would be improper storage area, but you would have already told us of that.

Offline ShootnStr8

• Moderators
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 05:18:19 PM »
Carbineman,

Thanks for the response.  Storage was in a dry garage.  There would be temperture variations but nothing extreme.  Yea, I can't think of another possibility other than the RCBS case lube which is going in the trash. The Imperial sizing wax seems to be quality stuff. 

Blessings!

Shootnst8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 05:41:05 PM »
Believe what you want but the RCBS lube isn't the problem.  I have ammo that was loaded in the early 80's after using the stuff that is still pristine.  If you are cleaning the lube off your brass properly after sizing you have eliminated that as a possible problem to begin with.  If not, you're causing yourself even more problems that you haven't even noticed yet.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 06:01:15 PM »
but the RCBS lube isn't the problem.   If you are cleaning the lube off your brass properly after sizing you have eliminated that as a possible problem to begin with.

Thank you, I use the stuff and it says right on it to wash cases after using it, that's the plus of it being water soluble. And water soluble lubes will pick up ambiant moisture

But there are alot of folks useing the Imperial Wax with great sucess, one thing I've yet to get a straight answer about the Imperial, I think I'll start another thread,,
found elsewhere

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 06:06:05 PM »
I've used nothing but the RCBS spray lube since it came out a long time ago. BUT as I size a case I drop it into one of my tumbers filled with corn cob media. I leave them a few hours some times over night even. They come out nice and shiny and free of any lube.

I have once noticed a situation likely similar to what you did with some rounds I loaded for my 7-08. They seemed fine when loaded and were super accurat. A year or two later they were clearly developing excess pressure so I pulled them all. They came out mighty hard. I can't say for sure just why but know that batch sure were difficult to pull and pressures were really high as it took some doing to open the action afterward.

I don't think the lube had any affect on the issue but can't say that for sure. I was using W760 powder which I commonly use and never had a problem any other time but that one. Nothing I did that time was different than I normally do.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ShootnStr8

• Moderators
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »
GB,

I was using W-760 as well.  Interesting. 

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
--Blaise Pascal

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
The enabler that addicted me to handloading started me with Imperial wax.
I have never seen a reason to change what works for me.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.