Author Topic: Finally got to the range  (Read 576 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Finally got to the range
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:30:52 PM »
Temp got up to 15 above so I decided to go to the range Friday.  Main reason was to work up load for the 25-06.  Once scope was dialed in for the load, I moved target out to 300 yards.  On a whim I put a second target below the one I was shooting at with the 25.

Took my pet load for my Handi 30-06, 165gr Nosler Accubond, in front of Reloader-22.  Wanted to see what it would do in the New Ultra Comp.  After I was finished with the .25, I shot three shots with the Ultra Comp 30-06.  Don't know if it was the first, second, or third shot that was the flyer.  Suspect it was the first, I had the scope set on 3X, and had been making sdjustments to the other scope with my gloves off, my fingers were cold.  After first shot I went to the truck and warmed up.  Then I moved the power to 9X and made two more shots at 300 yards.  I did not make any adjustments to the scope, or anything.  I'm happy.  A little fine tuning and they should be in the 10 ring.  I have a 4X14X40 scope coming that should help a lot as well.  That whole target is smaller than the kill zone on a Moose or Caribou.  The outer circle is the size of a Grizzlies heart.  So as it sits right now it is good to go out to 300 yards. 

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Hit or Miss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Finally got to the range
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 03:22:33 AM »
Good shooting! 
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:28:14 AM »
Nice! In my neck of the woods I can only dream about 300 yard shots, or moose or caibou
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:19:11 AM »
Hi Sourdough!
Sounds like global warming finally made it to Alaska!!
Good Shooting!
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »
Nice! In my neck of the woods I can only dream about 300 yard shots, or moose or caibou

+1 to that.
50-60 yards is about the max in the woods that I hunt.

Spanky

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 04:31:22 PM »
A lot of our hunting here in Alaska is long range.  Yea, you can hunt along the rivers, or down in the low lands and foothills and be in areas where you can do some stalking.  But I usually hunt above treeline, up high.  Seldom is there any brush above knee high, so getting close is not an option.  When you see Caribou they are always on the move, they don't stop for more than a couple of bites, then off they go again.  Getting ahead of them is nearly impossiable for a young man.  I'm not young.  My goal is to have all shots in the black on the same target at 500 yards.  Then that gun will be ready. 

The Recoil on this Ultra Comp is about like a .243, I like that.  The load I was already using seems to shoot well in this gun.  Same load is just a little too hot for my son's Savage 30-06, he gets high pressure signs.  That was a real surprise to me.

I'll post another target once I get working out to 500 yards.  Cabela's says the scope will be here on the 16th.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
Good shooting Sourdough!  Just this past season I learned how critical it is to verify accuracy at longer distance.  I've seldom ever hunted where I had more than a 150yd. field of view.  This past season I hunted where I had over 400 yds...a long way around these parts of GA.  I missed a shot at about 225 yds that would have been makable....but I had zeroed at 25 and checked at 100.  I found the 289 Remington is a different animal than I am accustomed to.

This summer I will dial it in up to 500, along with the 30-06 I bought recently.  Lesson learned.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)